300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on this Deputy's horrible actions

She is damn lucky she wasn't injured or even killed....she is in the wrong profession.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdHF...0LtSl7CesU2lHE
    Retired LASD

Did she not have a taser or OC?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Comment

Did that backup officer come from his house across the street or something? Dude doesn't even have shoes on. At least someone was decisive.

Comment

• westside popo
        westside popo commented
        Editing a comment
        Apparently his shoe came off when he kicked the subject.

• FedGoLEO
        FedGoLEO commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, if you look closely, as soon as he kicks the guy, his shoe came off.

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
      Did she not have a taser or OC?
      What if she had both? Does the Taser and OC always functions and or work 100% of the time? Do you want to take that chance on someone bigger and stronger who just had you restrained immediately before? And coming at you again? On someone apparently intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or alcohol?
      Last edited by westside popo; 12-05-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• GangGreen712
        GangGreen712 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, but there were points during the incident before that when she could have attempted to utilize them. I know they aren't magic pills.

• westside popo
        westside popo commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have handled it based on my training and experience. We don't know what her training and experience is though.

• GangGreen712
        GangGreen712 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's for that reason that I'm also not making a judgment call on whether or not she belongs in this field. Nobody has released info about her experience. For all we know, this was her first call after being released to solo patrol. Also, "what [she] should have done" doesn't always mean "what [she] has absolute no excuse for not doing." Mistakes, even maddeningly bad ones, are made by even the best people in every profession.

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
      She is damn lucky she wasn't injured or even killed....she is in the wrong profession.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdHF...0LtSl7CesU2lHE
      So how would you have done it in your first 2 years on the job?

Comment

• Retired96
        Retired96 commented
        Editing a comment
        How about wait for backup after it went south in the first minute or two and not have all the talking she did..There is no way she was going to make an arrest by herself

• westside popo
        westside popo commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you always have to call for backup for a simple little shoplifting arrest? So you wait and the guy goes inside, locks the door and refuses to come out when your back up arrives. Now what?

Please tell me you think she handled that call properly, and no I didn't call for backup on every minor call..My career started damn near 50 years ago with LASD and in my long career in patrol I never saw any Deputy handle a call like that. She is a very lucky woman because if that incident turned into a one on one fight she would have lost.
      Retired LASD

Comment

A teachable moment for sure.

The Deputy lacked the neccessary de-esculation skills to minimize the risk of injury to her and the offender during this call.

I understand she was worked up, but entering a residence to apprehend a theft offender without an assisting officer wasn't the best idea. She already identified the suspect, she had his address, what's the rush? There are no exigent circumstances here.

After watching this video, I have to admit that CIT (Crisis Intervention Team) Training would of helped tremendously. This area of training best prepares Officers for dealing with people with mental illness.

As far as the shoot itself? Here in Cook County Illinois, she would be charged and face plastered all over local media. Unfortunately our prosecutors enjoy videos like these.
        Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
          Please tell me you think she handled that call properly, and no I didn't call for backup on every minor call..My career started damn near 50 years ago with LASD and in my long career in patrol I never saw any Deputy handle a call like that. She is a very lucky woman because if that incident turned into a one on one fight she would have lost.
          You asked for comments on her "horrible actions." You apparently want to Monday morning quaterback. I would like to see you defend your claim that it was so "horrible." So what would you do after the subject locked himself inside and refused to come out after your back up arrived?

Comment

• Retired96
            Retired96 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not gonna argue with you all day, She was way over her hear the entire incident and in my 30 years of experience I feel she is in the wrong profession....end of discussion.

• westside popo
            westside popo commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not arguing with you at all, just discourse.

Dumbass......

Comment

“Shut the f*ck up motherf*cker” *facekick*

Comment

That kick was legendary

Comment

What I find irritating, are retirees who started this job a generation or two ago and want to armchair quarterback today's officers' body camera videos. This is a different job than it was 50 years ago. I'm not here to debate the officers actions. Its pathetic that some of these old timers on here want to put down today's officers with not a clue as to how different this job is. Whether its public scrutiny, body camera, cruiser cameras, cell phone videos, social media, GPS on Walkies, GPS on cruisers, administering Narcan (or the whole opioid epidemic in general), decriminalization of marijuana, much more lenient court systems for both adults and juveniles (except for police officers i.e. Oklahoma lieutenant incident), extensive reporting software as opposed to a two sided sheet of paper, uses of force that were tolerated 'back then' that would put you in jail today, promotional exams that are more comprehensive and aren't simply showing up for a written test, increased call volume. The list goes on. My point is, I believe that saying this job is more difficult today than it was during your 30 year career that started 50 year as ago (if I read right), is an understatement. I would love to see some of these retirees that like to criticize, get in a cruiser and start their career in today's age of policing. By the way, I'm guessing what we have to pay into our pension system is much higher today too. It sure is here. I bet that fully funded pension is great.

I will comment on one part of this video though. She aired on her radio what I would presume is an 'Request backup' or 'Officer in trouble call' a couple minutes in I think, or at least indicated some sort of danger early on. Why did it take so long to get someone there to help her? If she's with a theft suspect, wasn't someone already headed her way?

Thanks for all your critiques. If nothing else, I promise you this job was a lot more fun back when you are able to do it, with a much, much greater margin of error.

Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRetireYet View Post
                  pension is great.

I will comment on one part of this video though. She aired on her radio what I would presume is an 'Request backup' or 'Officer in trouble call' a couple minutes in I think, or at least indicated some sort of danger early on. Why did it take so long to get someone there to help her? If she's with a theft suspect, wasn't someone already headed her way?

Stay safe.
                  Back up in my area of operations can easily take 25 minutes depending on the time of day and staffing of the 2 other agencies in my county.

Not everyone in this job has backup readily available
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Back up in my area of operations can easily take 25 minutes depending on the time of day and staffing of the 2 other agencies in my county.

Not everyone in this job has backup readily available
                    Where I used to work we assumed we were on our own. There might have been a trooper, parks officer or game warden nearby... but there might not be. In that county I rolled code 3 to a call for almost an hour once, and over half an hour routinely.

On that run I pulled. Into a gas station, filled up, took a leak, got back on the road, turned the lights and siren back on and continued.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post

You asked for comments on her "horrible actions." You apparently want to Monday morning quaterback. I would like to see you defend your claim that it was so "horrible." So what would you do after the subject locked himself inside and refused to come out after your back up arrived?
                      It's a misdemeanor offense, I'd probably just secure the arrest warrant and go back later, or force entry with backup once it arrived and I had a warrant in hand, if I felt like making a point. After about my first 10 years on or so I learned that sometime the juice just ain't worth the squeeze. In my neck of the woods we'd be looking at a "Time served" or dismissal upon restitution to the store, definitely not worth following the dude into the house, alone, as the video clearly showed things can turn sideways, quick. Not two months ago our patrol guys watched a guy with a warrant for possession of a stolen vehicle run into his family's residence. Bad guy didn't know we had the warrant, he was just running from the police as they rode by on general principle because that's how he rolls. The warrant had that address listed and they could have gone in. My counsel to the patrol supervisor is that legally we had the right to do it, but knowing that the suspect's family was going to interfere and cause issues (as they had in the past), why risk one of ours getting hurt or the situation going sideways, all for a charge that the prosecutor is 99.999% likely going to dismiss outright or plead to a short amount of time served. The patrol supervisor concurred and we let sleeping dogs lie for the day. Suspect came to municipal court for an unrelated matter about a week later and got picked up, no fuss, no muss. There is more than one way to skin a cat, to borrow a southern colloquialism from my dear mother. Going into any suspect's house alone is a bad, bad idea unless somebody is in imminent danger or death or serious bodily harm, or a serious violent felon might otherwise escape... a misdemeanor shoplifting charge just isn't worth it, IMHO... I'm sure the deputy in the video in question would agree with the benefit of the 20/20 hindsight she now possesses.
                      Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

• westside popo
                        westside popo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Basically that's what I was expecting to see from the other poster. It's what I would do now!
                        But at a year on, probably not what I've would have wanted to do then.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9847 users online. 291 members and 9556 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X