Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone drive a 2015 Caprice PPV?

Hey gang,

I'm swapping my Tahoe for one of our 2015 Caprices soon. We have a key fob for the Caprice, but it doesn't work when a key is in the ignition, meaning that you have to unlock the car manually when it is running. It may not seem like a huge deal, but it annoys me to no end. Has anyone found a work around for this problem? I found some older posts regarding this issue, but i'm hoping that there is a solution for the later model Caprices.

Thanks in advance! Stay safe.
    Jake
    Never confuse good luck with good tactics.

Why leave the key in it? Don't they all have the remote start feature anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
      Why leave the key in it? Don't they all have the remote start feature anyway?
      They still require the key in the ignition to be able to shift and drive it. Never had a Caprice but do have a Silverado.

JMG024 have you checked the infotainment system to see if there are some settings in it you can change?

Comment

So is he trying to unlock it, or drive it?

Comment

I have played with the infotainment system and other setting and can't figure it out. I did some more research today, and I found some people saying that there is no solution, which seems bizarre to me.

I leave the car running throughout the duration of my shift. It keeps the interior cool or warm, and I can jump in and take off quickly if need be. The problem is that I cannot use the key fob to unlock the vehicle while it is running. I have to use the actual key to unlock the door, which isn't nearly as convenient.

Comment

Tried looking and found the same thing.

Comment

Easiest thing to do is to stop at a Chevy dealership and ask the Service Manager. I would think since the vehicle is a pursuit rated car they would have a setting..................but even the first year Ford Explorer PV had a trunk lid you couldn't open with the fob while the car was running. That was fixed by a software upgrade and the subsequent year vehicles have had it standard in their squads.

We had a Jeep squad that did the same thing .............Chrysler told us that it was a safety procedure that was NOT changeable.

Our transport Ford van doesn't have a fob but you can not electrically lock the doors while the engine is running .....you have to lock all doors then exit the van, manually locking the driver's door as you leave.. This is not programmable even by the dealership.

Yep it is a PITA................
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So get out, take the key with you, and then use the remote start feature to restart it...

Comment

I would never leave my vehicle with the key in the ignition, even with the doors locked. A s#itbird could smash the driver's door glass and drive your car away with your long gun(s) and all of your gear in it, in less than five seconds.

That would be a difficult report to write, and the disciplinary process would be harsh.

Comment

Aidokea, thanks for your input. Leaving the vehicle running is common practice here.

I guess I'll run it by the dealership and see if they have anything. If I figure something out, I'll post it here in case someone stumbles across this thread in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by JMG024 View Post
                      Aidokea, thanks for your input. Leaving the vehicle running is common practice here.
                      A lot of things that are a bad idea, are common practice. The fact that others do it too, does nothing to mitigate the potential consequences of your decisions.

I worked out of those vehicles in a tropical environment, and I never left the keys in my car- I would never want to have to explain to the widow of one of my co-workers, how I let my rifle fall into the hands of the criminal that killed their husband.

Comment

Originally posted by JMG024 View Post

As it is here in the upper Midwest. Our cars don't have remote starters

Our cars have lockouts to make sure the don't go away when left running.

Most of our squads in this area get started at the beginning of shift and shut off at the end of shift.....keeps interior/electronics warm or cold depending on the weather.

Common practice with nearly every agency in my area of operations. and the officers are comfortable doing so
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          As it is here in the upper Midwest. Our cars don't have remote starters

Our cars have lockouts to make sure the don't go away when left running.

Most of our squads in this area get started at the beginning of shift and shut off at the end of shift.....keeps interior/electronics warm or cold depending on the weather.

Common practice with nearly every agency in my area of operations. and the officers are comfortable doing so
                          Common practice in my area, too. Some vehicles have lockouts, some don't. Leaving a cruiser running is just one of those things you have to do in a Midwestern winter...you can't wait 10 minutes for your car windows to defrost or de-ice when you get a hot call.
                          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

We have a kill switch that lets us keep the engine running without a key, but kills it if any controls are moved.

I’d never leave a car with the keys in it, locked or not. One rock and you’re writing a letter to the chief.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

Common practice in my area, too. Some vehicles have lockouts, some don't. Leaving a cruiser running is just one of those things you have to do in a Midwestern winter...you can't wait 10 minutes for your car windows to defrost or de-ice when you get a hot call.
                              Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                              We have a kill switch that lets us keep the engine running without a key, but kills it if any controls are moved.

I’d never leave a car with the keys in it, locked or not. One rock and you’re writing a letter to the chief.
                              I walked past the Sheriff & Chief Deputies cars in the parking lot today..............both running both with keys in them. I double checked this afternoon.. & I was wrong about our squads........none have lockouts. All have alarms. Sheriff says if it happens it happens.............
                              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 12-05-2019, 09:07 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12274 users online. 446 members and 11828 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X