300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbor References

So I was about to apply for a position but when I got to the references part, it asked for professional and neighbor. I have never seen an application ask for a neighbor reference. This would be an issue for me because I don’t live in a nice neighborhood where people are fond of the police. Is there anyway they would work with me on this to figure out maybe a different method?

Originally posted by Prepboy View Post
    So I was about to apply for a position but when I got to the references part, it asked for professional and neighbor. I have never seen an application ask for a neighbor reference. This would be an issue for me because I don’t live in a nice neighborhood where people are fond of the police. Is there anyway they would work with me on this to figure out maybe a different method?
    Move to a LEO friendly area and use the new neighbors.

There got to be some in that neighborhood that you know a little? I can understand the concern and have had issues with those in the past.

Comment

I had to list the names and contact info for a neighbor on each side of my house, N, S, E, and W for one application. If you keep to yourself and aren't THAT guy that makes a racket every night while the neighborhood is trying to sleep, causing domestic disturbances, or makes their house look like a landfill or dump,etc. you'll probably be fine. Any background investigator worth his/her salt will be able to know the difference between a reference that actually has issues with you or is just trying to make you look bad.
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

This is going back a few years, but I had just moved to a new area for a job. Housing costs in the area were on the high side and I ended up in a shotgun shack I could afford, surrounded by other shotgun shacks. A block away were million dollar homes but when I looked out my windows, all I could see were dilapidated rentals on all sides.

My neighbors were:

Vodka Jack, a retired machinist who killed a pint of Popov by noon and another by dinnertime. I never had any problems with Jack, but I'll never forget the sight of him stumbling down the street, shirt wide open and gun in hand, after getting into a snit with a neighbor.

Lolo and Tommy. Lolo was a crazy old woman and Tommy was her recently paroled son (also an alcoholic). Tommy would disappear for extended periods of time, during which Lola would have delusions and call 911 to report Tommy was in her house, trying to kill her. Eventually the local PD stopped responding but for awhile, it was a monthly occurrence to see a couple of officers in front of her house, guns drawn, screaming for Tommy to come out of a house he was not at.

Becky. Worked in data entry at a hospital. Recently divorced and a former go-go dancer. An absolute apex predator of men. We're talking orca level.

Chris and Mary. Chris was a commercial painter by day and did marijuana sales as a side hustle. The skrunk is now legal where I live, so I suspect he's had to find something else to supplement his income, but back in the day, cars were coming and going every five minutes.

Kim. Kim was a middle age woman who walked her two bull mastiffs by my house everyday, and for whatever reason, my front lawn compelled a sudden evacuation of their bowels. I'd watch from my window as Kim stood by waited while the dogs hunched over and laid logs the size of pork loins in my grass. When I politely confronted her about not cleaning up after her dogs, she barked at me and said other dogs in the neighborhood made poops too, so this was a witch hunt.

Martha. Four hundred pound cat lady who never left her house. No one would ever come visit either. Weeks would go by without activity. I would wonder if she had passed and if I should call the local PD to determine if *that smell* was at the front door.

Rob. A late comer to the neighborhood, Rob lived in a tiny house with two wives and two mother in laws and a bunch of kids who played in the street. He'd get drunk by early afternoon and participate in full blown fistfights with his brothers in the front lawn. Sometimes I'd hear him yell at his wives and kids in what sounded like Arabic but could've been Zazaki or Kurmanji, I have a hard time distinguishing between the three.

Anyways, a few years go by. I tried my best to avoid the above mentioned (except for Becky for one hot minute, but that's a whole 'nother story he he). Thing is- our homes were all clustered together- tiny backyards and driveways next to bedrooms. I could smell what Rob was cooking for dinner and what strain of sativa Chris was offering. They could see what I was watching on tv, or if I was doing laundry.

One day, Mr. BI comes knocking at the door. "Just to let you know, I'm going to speak with your neighbors. Who are you friends with?"

I explained I was friends with none of them, and had nothing to do with any of them (minus Becky). Last thing I wanted is this group to know what I did for a living but go ahead, do what you need to do.

Point is: don't play games, don't ask for your BI to not talk with people, just deal with it and the chips will fall where they fall.

Last edited by Ratatatat; 12-03-2019, 11:58 AM.
        It is not the well-fed long-haired men that I fear, but the pale and hungry-looking.

-Julius Ceasar

Comment

When I worked applicant investigations, I always ignored the listed references. After all, who is gona list someone as a reference who has negative things to say about the applicant.

Comment

Any time I have to go about verifying someones residence for their investigation, 98% of the time I am unsuccessful. In today's society nobody really interacts with their neighbors. If you have interaction with at least one neighbor that will suffice, worst case scenario the investigator looking into you just writes it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
              This is going back a few years, but I had just moved to a new area for a job. Housing costs in the area were on the high side and I ended up in a shotgun shack I could afford, surrounded by other shotgun shacks. A block away were million dollar homes but when I looked out my windows, all I could see were dilapidated rentals on all sides.

My neighbors were:

Vodka Jack, a retired machinist who killed a pint of Popov by noon and another by dinnertime. I never had any problems with Jack, but I'll never forget the sight of him stumbling down the street, shirt wide open and gun in hand, after getting into a snit with a neighbor.

Lolo and Tommy. Lolo was a crazy old woman and Tommy was her recently paroled son (also an alcoholic). Tommy would disappear for extended periods of time, during which Lola would have delusions and call 911 to report Tommy was in her house, trying to kill her. Eventually the local PD stopped responding but for awhile, it was a monthly occurrence to see a couple of officers in front of her house, guns drawn, screaming for Tommy to come out of a house he was not at.

Becky. Worked in data entry at a hospital. Recently divorced and a former go-go dancer. An absolute apex predator of men. We're talking orca level.

Chris and Mary. Chris was a commercial painter by day and did marijuana sales as a side hustle. The skrunk is now legal where I live, so I suspect he's had to find something else to supplement his income, but back in the day, cars were coming and going every five minutes.

Kim. Kim was a middle age woman who walked her two bull mastiffs by my house everyday, and for whatever reason, my front lawn compelled a sudden evacuation of their bowels. I'd watch from my window as Kim stood by waited while the dogs hunched over and laid logs the size of pork loins in my grass. When I politely confronted her about not cleaning up after her dogs, she barked at me and said other dogs in the neighborhood made poops too, so this was a witch hunt.

Martha. Four hundred pound cat lady who never left her house. No one would ever come visit either. Weeks would go by without activity. I would wonder if she had passed and if I should call the local PD to determine if *that smell* was at the front door.

Rob. A late comer to the neighborhood, Rob lived in a tiny house with two wives and two mother in laws and a bunch of kids who played in the street. He'd get drunk by early afternoon and participate in full blown fistfights with his brothers in the front lawn. Sometimes I'd hear him yell at his wives and kids in what sounded like Arabic but could've been Zazaki or Kurmanji, I have a hard time distinguishing between the three.

Anyways, a few years go by. I tried my best to avoid the above mentioned (except for Becky for one hot minute, but that's a whole 'nother story he he). Thing is- our homes were all clustered together- tiny backyards and driveways next to bedrooms. I could smell what Rob was cooking for dinner and what strain of sativa Chris was offering. They could see what I was watching on tv, or if I was doing laundry.

One day, Mr. BI comes knocking at the door. "Just to let you know, I'm going to speak with your neighbors. Who are you friends with?"

I explained I was friends with none of them, and had nothing to do with any of them (minus Becky). Last thing I wanted is this group to know what I did for a living but go ahead, do what you need to do.

Point is: don't play games, don't ask for your BI to not talk with people, just deal with it and the chips will fall where they fall.

So let's hear the Becky story, Rat...

Comment

• Ratatatat
                Ratatatat commented
                Editing a comment
                I was but a little mouse in the talons of a great horned owl...

• DD312
                DD312 commented
                Editing a comment
                Was that an owl, or a cougar?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12272 users online. 445 members and 11827 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X