Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers Stage Gun Attack on 6th Graders

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...00010000000001

It says that teachers staged an attack, convincing a group of 6th graders that a man with a gun was trying to kill them. While telling them it was not a drill, they told them to hide on the floor and under furniture. They even had one teacher dress up and shake the door nob to the room.

Teaching aid similar to fire or tornado drills, or scarring life experience?

I would have hoped they had parents permission for something like this, but obviously they didnt.
    Last edited by OrlandoExp103; 05-14-2007, 02:29 AM.
    When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

... possibly poor timing but cmon if that scars the kid the kid isnt worth much imo,

what 6th graders are 12 year olds 12 year olds date, fool around, watch scary movies practical jokes shouldnt be a end all for them. i mean cmon poor teachers will all probaly lose jobs or be sued by some parent.

Comment

I live in the same town where this took place...I first heard about it Saturday. I agree with OverCharged that these kids aren't too young to go through a drill like that, but the teachers did use very poor judgment in the wake of the VT shooting and the fact that they should have at least notified the parents. I'm sure the teachers will be sued over this. I think the only kids that will be scarred over this are the ones whose parents make a huge deal out of it.

Here is another link to the story that goes into a little more detail of what happened.

http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll...06/1303/MTCN03
      Last edited by JCT; 05-14-2007, 05:30 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Just saw a story on the local news channel about this...They are now saying that the students were aware that a prank would be played on them at some point during the trip, they just didn't know that it would be of this nature. It said that while some children cried, some were laughing about it after it was over.

Comment

Poor judgment at best! In the wake of recent shootings the teachers shouldn't have chosen a scenario like that.
          A few years ago the hospital in the town I live in called 911 and stated that an identified man had entered the maternity ward and now there is a male baby missing. MY father, who recently retired after 30 yrs, was on duty when the call went over the air. He said every car in the county was converging on the hospital. When they arrived cars were shutting down traffic, closing the parking lot etc.. When the Sgt from the city PD made contact with the hospital people they were informed it was a DRILL TO TEST POLICE RESPONSE TIME! The hospital gave no warning to anyone. Some administrator took it upon his/herself to stage this drill. Needless to say the police were furious. The city boys decided to do nothing and advise the prosecutors office. My dad, sheriff's dept, and the troops wanted to haul someone to jail but let the city guys handle it their way. Nothing ever happened to anybody. The spineless prosecutor we have, not just because of this, decided to give a warning instead. WTF goes through these peoples minds!
          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep View Post
            Poor judgment at best! In the wake of recent shootings the teachers shouldn't have chosen a scenario like that.
            A few years ago the hospital in the town I live in called 911 and stated that an identified man had entered the maternity ward and now there is a male baby missing. MY father, who recently retired after 30 yrs, was on duty when the call went over the air. He said every car in the county was converging on the hospital. When they arrived cars were shutting down traffic, closing the parking lot etc.. When the Sgt from the city PD made contact with the hospital people they were informed it was a DRILL TO TEST POLICE RESPONSE TIME! The hospital gave no warning to anyone. Some administrator took it upon his/herself to stage this drill. Needless to say the police were furious. The city boys decided to do nothing and advise the prosecutors office. My dad, sheriff's dept, and the troops wanted to haul someone to jail but let the city guys handle it their way. Nothing ever happened to anybody. The spineless prosecutor we have, not just because of this, decided to give a warning instead. WTF goes through these peoples minds!
            Have to wonder why the Hospital Administrator wasn't charged with False Report of a Crime, or similiar charge.

Comment

Once, when I was in college, the university was the setting for a disaster drill that used a plane crash scenario-- realistic make-up and all that sort of thing. We were all warned ahead of time that it was going to happen, so there were no misunderstandings that I know of. It was a valuable experience and for me, even knowing it was a drill, had a lot of impact. You could really imagine being in that situation.

This thing at the school would still have been effective, even if they had given everybody a head's-up. I'm not sure what they gained by scaring the bejabbers out of the kids that they wouldn't have gained if they had acknowledged it as a drill beforehand.

I'm picturing panicked cellphone calls to Mom and Dad, who then panic in turn, although I guess that is not as much a possibility at that grade level.
              We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
              but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

I actually believe that they were in a good location to hold a drill. I do object to the teachers insisting that this was "not a drill!" There will forever be a lack of trust in those authority figures. We expect truth from these teachers and since they take so many so-called "planning days," they should have used one for this drill.
                Jerry
                "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                  Have to wonder why the Hospital Administrator wasn't charged with False Report of a Crime, or similiar charge.
                  That's what the officers on scene we wondering. The prosecutor is spineless and the hospital has a lot of "voters" and political power.
                  "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by OverCharged View Post
                    ... possibly poor timing but cmon if that scars the kid the kid isnt worth much imo,

what 6th graders are 12 year olds 12 year olds date, fool around, watch scary movies practical jokes shouldnt be a end all for them. i mean cmon poor teachers will all probaly lose jobs or be sued by some parent.
                    12-year-olds date!?!? That's just bad parenting, but still no justification for terrifying these kids. I don't even see how this falls under the curriculum. I do remember Mr. McGruff, back in the day, but they didn't use scare tactics to get the point to us. And we were what, 5 years old? No child should be traumatized unnecessarily, and 12 is still a child.

Comment

funny i arrest 12 year olds and younger for crimes so i dont see how they cant handle a joke or drill. alot of 12 year old girls date older boys girls expesially are little whores these days... has little to do with parenting kid gonna act how they want, regardless in some cases of how you raise them.

I knwo pleanty of fellow officer with girls that age having a hell fo time keeping them from whoring around. just how they are right now. it was getting that way when i was in school iam almost 24 it ws more like 14 for my class but my sisters class 4 years behind was starting around 12 and 13.

12 year old is not a kid its a adult with a excuse.

they can stop think add subtract the whole bit they screw up or are challenegd its there own fault if they fail make the wrong choice or decide to crawl into a corner and hide.

ya iam a fan of the old school no helmets metal playground equipment and learning to look both ways yourself with out someone holding your hand till 7th grde to cross a street

Comment

When I heard about it all I could think was "That would be a bad time to learn that a kid with good aim is carrying".

Comment

funny i arrest 12 year olds and younger for crimes so i dont see how they cant handle a joke or drill. alot of 12 year old girls date older boys girls expesially are little whores these days... has little to do with parenting kid gonna act how they want, regardless in some cases of how you raise them.

I knwo pleanty of fellow officer with girls that age having a hell fo time keeping them from whoring around. just how they are right now. it was getting that way when i was in school iam almost 24 it ws more like 14 for my class but my sisters class 4 years behind was starting around 12 and 13.

they can stop think add subtract the whole bit they screw up or are challenegd its there own fault if they fail make the wrong choice or decide to crawl into a corner and hide.

ya iam a fan of the old school no helmets metal playground equipment and learning to look both ways yourself with out someone holding your hand till 7th grde to cross a street
                          Overcharged, put in for vacation, NOW!

Seriously, man, just because some 12-y-o girls are strutting their stuff dosen't mean they all are. Some 12, 13, 14 year olds are remarkably innocent. I think it almost totally depends on the parents. I work an elementary, middle, and high school simultaneously and have lots of contact with the kids. Some of my second graders would cruise right through this gun drill, and some ninth graders would wee-wee in their pants. For that matter, some adults would, too.
                          Just be careful lumping all kids in one category, just like any group of people. They're not all the same. It was horribly inappropriate to do that to kids.
                          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

This sounds like a great SNL skit. Mad bomber enters school and terrifies kids. Then Ronald McDonald comes out and says "surprise" as the kids scream in horror. As funny as I think this incident was, (let me stop laughing for a second...) I do not think that it was appropriate. Kids psyche are not as developed as an adults. You can play a good practical joke on a kid, but when they think and believe that their life ia/was in danger, that they could be killed, then the joke has probably gone too far.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I think you needed a hug when you were a child I'll call Freddy Krueger for you

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6370 users online. 344 members and 6026 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X