300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Oregon progressives think they can interfere with ICE

The byline of the article is highly misleading. "US immigration agents are now prohibited from making arrests at Oregon courthouse". I was expecting some wacko federal judge approved it, but no... the Oregon Supreme court somehow thinks they have authority over ICE agents.
    https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...ermission.html

I'm I would like to think that there will not be a single local or state LEO stupid enough to try. If they're ordered by a judge or chief, I would expect officers / deputies to make this a union issue as you can't go around ordering officers to take action that will promptly subject them to federal arrest. But then it's whacko Portland OR who had the police stand down while ICE agents were being threatened last year during a protest that shut down the ICE office.

I hope the appropriate federal agencies are better prepared and respond if anything does go down.

Only a pedophile would oppose ICE. They are doing God's work.

https://www.ice.gov/news/all

Comment

It could be fun for some folks. Love to see a judge booked into a federal lockup while wearing judicial robe, charged with obstruction of justice, criminal solicitation (ordering others to obstruct federal officers), conspiracy to obstruct justice, maybe a few other felonies. While felony charges are pending they will probably be required to surrender their passports, and firearms possession is prohibited so court officers and deputies would be unable to continue working (I wonder if a judge can stay on the bench while facing federal felony charges?). Can a judge who is out on bail set bail for a criminal defendant without having to publicly explain why Joe Sixpack's bail is higher than his own bail? Defense lawyers would turn every court docket into another comic opera!

Interesting potential for mutiny in the ranks; a basic premise of law is that no officer can be required to comply with an unlawful order, and a court order to obstruct federal officers in the performance of official duty is most definitely an unlawful order. "Sure, Judge, go ahead and have me fired. I kind of like the idea of early retirement with a couple million in civil damages to enjoy the rest of my life!".

There is probably a very good reason why I am not the federal official deciding how to respond to this nonsense. My response might include a hundred federal officers, hundreds of plastic zip tie cuffs, and a bunch of Portland's political bozos being perp-marched to the buses that will carry them to the nearest federal facility for booking, arraignment, and bail hearings. I might even consider commandeering the county jail, just to make my point perfectly clear. Kind of like kicking an anthill with a can of Raid in each hand.

Oh well, I can dream happy dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
        There is probably a very good reason why I am not the federal official deciding how to respond to this nonsense. My response might include a hundred federal officers, hundreds of plastic zip tie cuffs, and a bunch of Portland's political bozos being perp-marched to the buses that will carry them to the nearest federal facility for booking, arraignment, and bail hearings. I might even consider commandeering the county jail, just to make my point perfectly clear. Kind of like kicking an anthill with a can of Raid in each hand.
        I'm completely on the same page. I'm quite disappointed that last springs ICE blockade by protestors didn't get a heavy handed response. City hall, the county courthouse, city police, the county jail, federal courthouse and federal law enforcement buildings are all clustered right together in the downtown core. A few miles south in the low rise commercial area is where ICE has their headquarters. Response by the Portland Police, County Sheriff and federal agencies all could have been about the same. I do not know why the Marshals, FBI or any of the many other agencies didn't roll when federal employees were being threatened.

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
        I might even consider commandeering the county jail, just to make my point perfectly clear. Kind of like kicking an anthill with a can of Raid in each hand.
        That would be an interesting development. The county denies the use of the jail to ICE. ICE contracts the next jail to the east. It's a four county joint venture 90 miles away. It's a real pain for anyone who runs into trouble with immigration because they get hauled so far away (often paperwork issues). Anyone who isn't just being held temporarily gets hauled up to Tacoma or Sheridan (both ~150 miles away).

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew_B View Post
          I'm completely on the same page. I'm quite disappointed that last springs ICE blockade by protestors didn't get a heavy handed response. City hall, the county courthouse, city police, the county jail, federal courthouse and federal law enforcement buildings are all clustered right together in the downtown core. A few miles south in the low rise commercial area is where ICE has their headquarters. Response by the Portland Police, County Sheriff and federal agencies all could have been about the same. I do not know why the Marshals, FBI or any of the many other agencies didn't roll when federal employees were being threatened.

That would be an interesting development. The county denies the use of the jail to ICE. ICE contracts the next jail to the east. It's a four county joint venture 90 miles away. It's a real pain for anyone who runs into trouble with immigration because they get hauled so far away (often paperwork issues). Anyone who isn't just being held temporarily gets hauled up to Tacoma or Sheridan (both ~150 miles away).
          There is a very appropriate legal precedent for these situations; i.e.: during the US Civil War certain states and regions were declared to be in rebellion against the national government, thus illegitimate in any public act. Once the battles were concluded those state legislatures and city councils were disbanded (and members were forbidden to hold any public office for the remainders of their lives) and the "Reconstruction government" moved in to run things until those "areas in rebellion" were deemed to be trustworthy in their allegiance to the United States.

Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12297 users online. 438 members and 11859 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X