Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oldest Squad Car Still In Active Service

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oldest Squad Car Still In Active Service


    I am sure this has been asked before, but I have not seen it lately.

    What is the oldest patrol car still in active service with your agency?

    I was driving on I-95 this past week and saw a marked sheriff's car pass me in the opposite direction. It was a '95 or '96 Chevy Caprice.....you know, the "bathtub" body style.

    The car was a turd brown color, with an all-blue Street Hawk (the big, blocky type) light bar. It had a six-pointed star and gold decals, but I could not read the county because the font was so small. I think it was from NC, since the star had six points on it (VA sheriff's office stars use five points) and the car did not display a front license plate (as required in DC, VA and MD). The windows were all tinted very dark, so I thought it might have been a K-9 unit.


    That Caprice was in very good shape, or at least it looked as though it was. Pretty good for a car that has seen 10+ years of active patrol duty, huh? It had those tiny center hubcaps and a very long VHF whip antenna on the trunk.....which made me think it may have been used by a very rural county somewhere.

    What is your oldest vehicle still in regular service?


    P.S. I see an unmarked white Caprice near Occoquan, VA (near the Fairfax line) from time to time, but it may just be a court services or reserve car.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

    The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

    ------------------------------------------------

    "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

  • #2
    All the front line units here are 06's. Ofcourse there is only 6 or 7 front line units.

    Comment


    • #3
      When I was back in Arkansas visiting my family last summer, I saw the town Marshal had a 1989 Chevy Caprice "square back." After I talked to the Marshal, I WANTED that car! He had BUILT the engine in that thing....forged pistons, rods and crank, etc. That thing sounded like it was ready to do low 12's in the 1/4 mile.
      Last edited by IMachU; 05-13-2007, 11:29 AM. Reason: dang spelllig mistaikes

      Comment


      • #4
        they have a 60's or 70's old chevy with those old style lights on it, for sale about 2 miles away from me. I think it runs and the lights work .


        If you guys want i can take some pics.
        sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

        Comment


        • #5
          We just retired a 92 Crown Vic from the detectives fleet. The guy driving was offered new cars along the way, but always turned them down. The thing finally just gave up the ghost.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by eman2k5 View Post
            they have a 60's or 70's old chevy with those old style lights on it, for sale about 2 miles away from me. I think it runs and the lights work .


            If you guys want i can take some pics.

            That'd be nice to see some pics. Now, is this old Chevy an actual "in service" unit from a real department or just somebody's restoration project?

            Speaking of old cars, Prince William County has a 1971 or 1972 Plymouth that is used as some kind of "show" vehicle. It is equipped with a single red 'bubble gum' light and has modern "local government" license plates and a current VA state inspection sticker. I saw it last year parked at their station on Jeff Davis Highway just north of Dumfries.

            I wonder if it has the 440 V-8 under the hood.

            The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

            The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

            ------------------------------------------------

            "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

            Comment


            • #7
              Our '96 Vic with 190,000 on just dropped last week.
              Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

              "And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

              Originally posted by dontknowwhy
              I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
              Originally posted by weinerdog2000
              as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

              Comment


              • #8

                Here is a link to patrol cars used by Prince William County, VA:


                http://members.fortunecity.com/pdcar4/pw.html


                The '71 or '72 Plymouth Fury is all the way at the bottom; the last two photos. I don't know if it runs or not, but it has local government plates and a state inspection decal.

                I don't know if it was an actual county-owned car all along, or if someone restored it. As I mentioned before, I wonder if it has the 440 V-8 sitting under that hood. Oh, and they should fix that front end.

                The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

                The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

                ------------------------------------------------

                "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

                Comment


                • #9
                  At my old college, the county office of the NCSHP still used a 1995-96 Jeep Cherokee.

                  It sat unoccupied the majority of the year, however since it was a very rural/mountainous county, it made several appearances when the snow came through.

                  It was also occasionally used as a dumby car on the highway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I drove a 97 Crown vic put into service December of 96 last month. I was In Jr high went that car went in service. It's a good car though. 130k miles. There was a 93 crown vic pool car at our HQ until last year. The oldest vehicle in our fleet (that I had seen) was a prisoner van (86 dodge ram) that was used until last year. 20 years... and it was beat down. One of the last all white vehicles in the fleet from the 80's.
                    Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Washington State has a restored 49 ford. this is a picture I took from a poster that I have.
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

                        Here is a link to patrol cars used by Prince William County, VA:


                        http://members.fortunecity.com/pdcar4/pw.html


                        The '71 or '72 Plymouth Fury is all the way at the bottom; the last two photos. I don't know if it runs or not, but it has local government plates and a state inspection decal.

                        I don't know if it was an actual county-owned car all along, or if someone restored it. As I mentioned before, I wonder if it has the 440 V-8 sitting under that hood. Oh, and they should fix that front end.


                        they really should...if I could get my hands on a early-mid 70's Fury...I don't think I would really want for anything again

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I still have a 1997 Crown Vic that I use everyday that i'm on patrol. It has 105000 miles on it. It FINALLY gets to go to bed next month.
                          Last edited by M4fulltime; 05-14-2007, 06:10 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tehJet View Post
                            they really should...if I could get my hands on a early-mid 70's Fury...I don't think I would really want for anything again

                            "1970's Plymouth"

                            That old cop car for sale by my house looks like that 70's plymouth.



                            ITS FOR SALE !
                            sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

                              That'd be nice to see some pics. Now, is this old Chevy an actual "in service" unit from a real department or just somebody's restoration project?

                              Speaking of old cars, Prince William County has a 1971 or 1972 Plymouth that is used as some kind of "show" vehicle. It is equipped with a single red 'bubble gum' light and has modern "local government" license plates and a current VA state inspection sticker. I saw it last year parked at their station on Jeff Davis Highway just north of Dumfries.

                              I wonder if it has the 440 V-8 under the hood.


                              I think it was an old patrol car that someone bought, I will take some pics tuesday.
                              sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4954 users online. 280 members and 4674 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X