Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring process concern

Hello all,

I have posted this before in other places, so I'm sorry if you may have come across this before. I'm just really on the fence about how this will go and would like to get as many options or thoughts about it as possible. So I'm currently in the hiring process for LAPD (which I'm super stoked for) and I have my medical review coming up. I just have one main area of concern. About a year and a half ago, I voluntarily went into a behavioral hospital because of a situation in the military (someone said I said something that I didn't to a superior) and I stayed for 2 days before the doctor cleared me. They did give me medications but I stopped taking them about a week or so from being discharged. Their diagnosis was major depression and anxiety. I had to consult with a military therapist and he agreed that nothing was wrong with me and I simply had a situational circumstance. So fast forward to now, I decided to go to therapy as a way for me to just de-stress, talk about my life and get better at dealing with stress.That was about 2 months ago and I have since no longer been going. I don't feel it's something I had a reason to continue. I have since found much better ways to handle and deal with stress. Now apparently while I was going to therapy, she diagnosed me with major depression (recurring now) and general anxiety (also recurring apparently). I had no knowledge of the diagnosis until I asked a few days ago. However, I still am not taking any medications and anyone who knows me would tell you that I do not exhibit any signs or symptoms of those conditions. Anyway, my concern is how this will affect my potential to be hired after my medical/psych review. I know hiding anything is never the answer, so I have no intentions of doing that plus I know I have to sign a release waiver for my records anyway. Does the department care more about what the psychologist observes and reports the day of my eval or does the history found on my record still play a hefty part? I was also told that the hospitalization from a year ago wouldn't show on a record because it was voluntary? I'm not sure how true that is though, so I'll still be upfront with that. All of these events happened in Oklahoma and Texas respectively. Thank you for any help and advice! I'm really excited and hopeful to become an officer, but I just want to be sure I'm not setting myself up for disappointment. I have about a 60/40 outlook on it, 60 being probably will be a problem. Thanks to all the input I've received and forums I've read, those chances are more hopeful than before.

Thank you all!
    Last edited by KG0719; 10-21-2019, 05:47 PM.

*grabs popcorn*
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by KG0719 View Post
      Hello all,

I have posted this before in other places, so I'm sorry if you may have come across this before. I'm just really on the fence about how this will go and would like to get as many options or thoughts about it as possible. So I'm currently in the hiring process for LAPD (which I'm super stoked for) and I have my medical review coming up. I just have one main area of concern. About a year and a half ago, I voluntarily went into a behavioral hospital because of a situation in the military (someone said I said something that I didn't to a superior) and I stayed for 2 days before the doctor cleared me. They did give me medications but I stopped taking them about a week or so from being discharged. Their diagnosis was major depression and anxiety. I had to consult with a military therapist and he agreed that nothing was wrong with me and I simply had a situational circumstance. So fast forward to now, I decided to go to therapy as a way for me to just de-stress, talk about my life and get better at dealing with stress.That was about 2 months ago and I have since no longer been going. I don't feel it's something I had a reason to continue. I have since found much better ways to handle and deal with stress. Now apparently while I was going to therapy, she diagnosed me with major depression (recurring now) and general anxiety (also recurring apparently). I had no knowledge of the diagnosis until I asked a few days ago. However, I still am not taking any medications and anyone who knows me would tell you that I do not exhibit any signs or symptoms of those conditions. Anyway, my concern is how this will affect my potential to be hired after my medical/psych review. I know hiding anything is never the answer, so I have no intentions of doing that plus I know I have to sign a release waiver for my records anyway. Does the department care more about what the psychologist observes and reports the day of my eval or does the history found on my record still play a hefty part? I was also told that the hospitalization from a year ago wouldn't show on a record because it was voluntary? I'm not sure how true that is though, so I'll still be upfront with that. All of these events happened in Oklahoma and Texas respectively. Thank you for any help and advice! I'm really excited and hopeful to become an officer, but I just want to be sure I'm not setting myself up for disappointment. I have about a 60/40 outlook on it, 60 being probably will be a problem. Thanks to all the input I've received and forums I've read, those chances are more hopeful than before.

Thank you all!
      I'm not even going to try to read all that [email protected] until he/she/it takes the time to put it in paragraph form...

Comment

Originally posted by KG0719 View Post
        Hello all,

Thank you all!
        Generally speaking, law enforcement candidates are evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist.

The key words here are "your mental state at the time of processing," not last year or the year before. With that said, psychological issues in your past will be taken into consideration when evaluating your current mental state, but they alone do not define it. Much of will depend on what shows in your written psych exam and the sit down with the shrink.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

^^ That's the most accurate and useful answer you're going to get. Anything else is likely going to be posted for personal entertainment purposes (popcorn included)...

Just apply and go through the process. In the meantime, keep working on a solid Plan B. Good luck!

Comment

While your mental state at the current time is of utmost importance in determining your suitability, you should know that past issues WILL be examined closely. Even though PDs aren't flooded with applicants like they were 10 years ago, they are no less picky, and they are still erring on the side of caution with everybody. With everything under the microscope, it's probably harder to get hired today than it was 10 years ago, as chiefs don't want ANYTHING, however great or small, thrown in their face if one of their officers ends up in the news. Even if some issue in your past shouldn't, rationally speaking, be a problem, it doesn't mean that it won't. And in today's age of mass shootings, the public's perception seems to be that anyone who has so much as talked to a counselor needs to be chained to the radiator. Give them a gun and a badge? Forget that!

I don't say this to attack you. I'm speaking from experience. I have received counseling and medication for depression. Despite the fact that I am stable, it still proved to be a major stumbling block to me getting hired. I eventually did, twice, but it took nearly a decade.
            Last edited by GangGreen712; 10-27-2019, 09:37 PM. Reason: Changing some repetitive wording
            "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
            -Chris Rock

Comment

I stand corrected. You received another useful response. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Generally speaking, law enforcement candidates are evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist.

The key words here are "your mental state at the time of processing," not last year or the year before. With that said, psychological issues in your past will be taken into consideration when evaluating your current mental state, but they alone do not define it. Much of will depend on what shows in your written psych exam and the sit down with the shrink.

Thank you all so much! I guess it's really just out of my hands at this point. Best thing I can do is be upfront and genuine. I will keep trying if it doesn't work out though!

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
                  While your mental state at the current time is of utmost importance in determining your suitability, you should know that past issues WILL be examined closely. Even though PDs aren't flooded with applicants like they were 10 years ago, they are no less picky, and they are still erring on the side of caution with everybody. With everything under the microscope, it's probably harder to get hired today than it was 10 years ago, as chiefs don't want ANYTHING, however great or small, thrown in their face if one of their officers ends up in the news. Even if, logically, some issue in your past shouldn't, rationally, be an issue, it doesn't mean that it won't. And in today's age of mass shootings, the public's perception seems to be that anyone who has so much as talked to a counselor needs to be chained to the radiator. Give them a gun and a badge? Forget that!

I don't say this to attack you. I'm speaking from experience. I have received counseling and medication for depression. Despite the fact that I am stable, it still proved to be a major stumbling block to me getting hired. I eventually did, twice, but it took nearly a decade.
                  I tried quoting you in my above post but it didn't work. Thank you for your help!

Comment

I was diagnosed with depression coming out of the Army, by both the Army and the VA. I had to retire unexpectedly due to an injury, had been a Soldier for my entire adult life and by the time I actually left the Army (it took 2 years from the injury until I out-processed) was in bad shape: Overweight, walked with a cane, Type I diabetes, messed up in the head.

When I applied for my first agency 6 years later I was in-shape, didn't use the cane, in a better place mentally... still had the diabetes.

It's tough to change a VA diagnosis, so I'm still diagnosed with depression... is it really current or relevant? Nope.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12677 users online. 499 members and 12178 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X