300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Patrol

Border Patrol- one of the greatest jobs out there?

I have just looked into the possibility of working for this agency and have done hours of research on related forums and websites and am amazed that I can't find anyone with negative comments as it pertains to a career. As for other jobs and departments, there always seems to be someone with some type of negative feedback.

Border Patrol Agents, please post your experiences, likes, and dislikes about you profession. One question I have that I can't seem to find is how long does it take to promote to gs-11 from gs-5. Also, how often do the night shifts rotate to day shifts. Thanks for your posts.
    JP

I have never met a Border Patrol agent, nor have I been to a "border state" in the past twenty years (even though VA appears to be one lately); but I have never heard anything bad about the agency.

The worst part about working for them is probably the "catch and release" mentality of our government regarding border-jumpers. I think that being a Border Patrol agent would end up being a very thankless, unappreciated endeavor and there are probably times when you would feel like a soldier patrolling the DMZ. Does our government (or the folks who really have the say-so in what happens in the USA) really have a desire to stop the flow of human cargo across the border? Too much big-money interests against it, ya know?

I don't mean this a slur against those fine folks putting their lives on the line at our borders, but I reckon that it gets to be like a daily game of "Whack-A-Mole" after you arrest/detain the same illegals two or three times in a month.

Whatever you decide.....Best of luck to you!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by jp2protect View Post
      Border Patrol- one of the greatest jobs out there?

I have just looked into the possibility of working for this agency and have done hours of research on related forums and websites and am amazed that I can't find anyone with negative comments as it pertains to a career. As for other jobs and departments, there always seems to be someone with some type of negative feedback.

Border Patrol Agents, please post your experiences, likes, and dislikes about you profession. One question I have that I can't seem to find is how long does it take to promote to gs-11 from gs-5. Also, how often do the night shifts rotate to day shifts. Thanks for your posts.
      JP
      There is an unofficial USBP hiring website, run by a retired agent with the sole purpose of answering questions and helping applicants through the process. Go to www.honorfirst.com and you will find answers to most of your questions, then link to their message board for even more information. But, to answer your direct questions... USBP is the best job in the world. The pay scale will move quickly. If you start as a GS-5, you will be a GS-7 in 7 months, GS-9 a year after that and GS-11 a year after that. When you get your 11 you will have step increases every year. Good luck.

Good video if you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwUbTZ6Z2sU
      "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

That was actually a good video. I'm glad to see an accurate depiction of our agency and not the usual unrealistic BORTAC/BORSTAR laden versions.

If you like being outdoors and seeing new and interesting things, the Border Patrol is for you. Its not all glory and excitement but there is enough to keep it interesting. In my opinion, BP is the best job in the world. The rookie years aren't much fun but I think that holds true just about anywhere.

The work is so diverse that we are the literal "Jacks of all trades". In the field we patrol on everything from our feet, SUV's, Hummers, ATV's, snowmobiles, horses, helicopters, boats, hovercraft, jet skis, mountain bikes etc.

Aside from regular patrol there are many assignments like prosecutions, intelligence, gang units, community service oriented assignments, search and rescue, and one of the best tactical teams in the country to name a few.

As far as the work, we run into just about everything at one time or another.
        The only thing we have to fear is change itself.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6342 users online. 351 members and 5991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X