Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pull Over Experience

Wanted to share my experience of interacting with US LEOs

So, I've finally accomplished my dream and visited the US (the Eastern side). Enjoyed it a lot - the NYC is as stunning as always, Boston and Philly are really nice places. And, guess what, managed to get myself pulled over in the process. I was driving towards my friend's place, who lives near Yonkers, NY. I've just exited the road named 100 or something like that at night, at somewhere around 1 am, and ran a stop sign (yep, had a brain fart). See lights behind me after that. I stop, the officer approaches me and the following exchange happens, not verbatim, just how I remember it:

Officer: You're on the job?
    Me: (????) Uuuumh... Yeees, Sir, I am employed...
    O: You county?
    M: (...) No, Sir, I work in a court (pause)
    O: (pause)
    Me: In a court in Moscow, Russia, you see, Sir, I'm a lawyer, I'm a foreigner, just visiting!
    O: (laughs loudly)

After that I gave him my paperwork and told it was a rental car. He told me that he won't summon me for my violation, advised to be more attentive and that a stop sign ticket can cost couple hundred $$$.

PS: English is my third language, it was late, I was really nervous (no ****) and I was completely not prepared to hear that 'on the job' question. I honestly thought he's asking whether I have a job, but as soon as I realised he meant differently I tried to explain myself. Why he asked that question I don't really understand, but guess he had reasons.

All in all, I think it was fun experience, I really appreciate how he carried himself and that he didn't summon me. I wish I've remembered the agency, but it was dark and all I saw were red lights. So thanks to all officers who patrol that area

A pleasant commentary on what might have become an unpleasant experience. I am pleased to hear that the officer handled the matter in a professional and courteous manner.

Best regards to Moscow lawyers, with the sincere hope that I never require your services! My personal attorney gives me a break, charging me only $200 per hour for his services (he calls it his "friends and family rate", about 20% off).

Comment

I'm curious as to why he would have asked the 'on the job' question. That's something that typically would only get asked once the officer has reason to believe the other party is employed in law enforcement. Did you say or do anything that would have given the officer that impression?

Comment

Considering the political climate in our country today, I’m surprised the officer is not being investigated for collusion with Russia. JK

Comment

My first pullover experience happened at the Dillards boys department when I was about 8 years old. It was pretty uneventful.
          To the Russian lawyer, just a little joke. Dillards is a retail clothing chain, and a pullover is a type of sweater.

Comment

• PeteBroccolo
            PeteBroccolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Cardigan! I had hoped to be the first to comment like that!!

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
          I'm curious as to why he would have asked the 'on the job' question. That's something that typically would only get asked once the officer has reason to believe the other party is employed in law enforcement. Did you say or do anything that would have given the officer that impression?
          Other than pulling over, engine off-light on and so forth, I didn't say or do anything. I was more concerned with my license being in the bag on the back seat, so I was composing a request for a permission to retrieve it in my mind lol.

Originally posted by BTDT2 View Post
          Considering the political climate in our country today, I’m surprised the officer is not being investigated for collusion with Russia. JK
          Considering the political climate in my country, I can be fined for conspiring with foreign authorities... Guess it's the same on both sides of the ocean!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12694 users online. 496 members and 12198 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X