Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Patrol Car Runs low on Battery During Pursuit

What can I say?

Remember to fill up - uh, charge up at end of watch, otherwise, the next shift may have to go looking for a charging station in the middle of a pursuit.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/09...3740b-78420233
    Last edited by L-1; 09-25-2019, 04:04 PM.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Perfect reason WHY you don’t use these for anything but admin. You can gas up anywhere, you can’t with a Tesla.
    Dont forget the average six hour HAZMAT level burn time when it crashes. And it will.

This was an idiotic PC move by a Chief that needs to be slapped in public for stupidity and wasting money.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I also wouldn't use anything that can "update" itself or have any kind of AI/ autonomous driving capability for emergency response anyway. Way too much that can go wrong.

Comment

I don't see this as the big deal some are making it out to be. It's no different from a regular cruiser having a mechanical problem in mid-pursuit, which happens all the time.

The officer was not the only vehicle in the chase, and others took over his spot when he couldn't continue. Which also happens frequently in pursuits.

The pursuit was called off shortly after he bailed anyway, so it literally had no impact on the outcome.

Yes, there should be some accountability for either the person that failed to charge the car at the end of a previous shift, or for the officer who maybe didn't do a proper check-out and took the vehicle in a reduced state of readiness. Maybe write "I'll always make sure the Tesla is charged" 100 times on a chalkboard.

They make the vehicles in this city and the chief (maybe with some coaxing from local politicians) offered his department as a pilot program to test these vehicles in real-world police applications. This seems like simply another data point.

Electric vehicles are coming, people. We won't be driving them on patrol today, or probably tomorrow. But it's going to happen. No need to buggy-whip the idea.

Comment

Wow $61K for a 4 year old used obsolete model S. Someone in the procurement office aught to be investigated for that.

Comment

The issue is that the car needed a charging point, non were available in the range, and so the car is worthless for use until it gets hours of charge. Gas cars are up and going within fifteen minutes.

Until you can guarantee that cars, fire trucks, ambos can be refueled in minutes and are safe, the e car concept for PS is a joke and waste of funds.

Have you seen the six hour rekindle issue? You going to run Schedule B e trucks in a wildfire?

Comment

I agree, I'm just saying an obsolete model S which is already 4 years old is not worth anywhere near $61K. But when it is someone else's money well you know.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                The issue is that the car needed a charging point, non were available in the range, and so the car is worthless for use until it gets hours of charge. Gas cars are up and going within fifteen minutes.
                Just like when a squad has a flat tire, right? Everyone else here must work in Indianapolis, where you have pit crews on 24-hour call.

I will admit that the $61K price tag gives pause. It seems like someone could have convinced Tesla to donate the vehicle or worked out a low-cost lease, if the potential outcome was expanded police use. Mercedes did that years ago in Alabama with their M-Class vehicles, providing the SUVs to Tuscaloosa Police and Sheriff's Department.

Comment

• Levithane
                  Levithane commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Time to fill up a gas powered car 5-10 minutes (estimated)
                  Tesla even with a supercharger takes about an hour to have full energy. Superchargers are not widely available. If you aren't using a supercharger it can take up to 8 hours. The lack of infrastructure and the technology are what limit the Tesla from being a decent choice for a patrol car.

Tire takes a few minutes. What is your point?
                Im talking about power source, not tires.

Comment

But like the environment mannnnnn....technology will be there one day, but not for quite a while.
                  Last edited by COMoparfan392; 09-26-2019, 11:46 AM.
                  "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post

Just like when a squad has a flat tire, right? Everyone else here must work in Indianapolis, where you have pit crews on 24-hour call.
                    The point he's making is a gas vehicle can be "recharged" almost anywhere in minutes... and electric vehicle only certain places and it takes hours.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

The point he's making is a gas vehicle can be "recharged" almost anywhere in minutes... and electric vehicle only certain places and it takes hours.
                      Thank you. Apparently this is consistently being overlooked...

Comment

Posted by someone else on another forum -

The emergency device to use when your Tesla patrol car runs put of juice and there is no charging station nearby.

manual-hand-crank-handle-vintage-leyland-titan-r-double-decker-bus-manually-starting-engine-manual-hand-crank-handle-133815644.jpg
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

Thank you. Apparently this is consistently being overlooked...
                          As well as the environmental rape involved in producing battery-powered vehicles:

Comment

• Levithane
                            Levithane commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Its always funny how the "most efficient/green" items/vehicles tend to be the most harmful to the environment.

• Aidokea
                            Aidokea commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A lot more so than you might think- the environmental impact of building a brand-new car, is WAY worse than keeping your old one on the road, even if the new one gets really good fuel mileage, and the old one gets really bad fuel mileage.

The same is true of the financial aspect- you'll never save money by trading in your 25 year old 12mpg Ford F150 pickup for a new 50mpg Toyota Prius. The difference in the actual fuel mileage will never make up what you'll lose on depreciation, interest on the loan, and generally more expensive insurance and maintenance/repairs.

That's why the old saying- "The least expensive car to buy, is the one you already own".

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

As well as the environmental rape involved in producing battery-powered vehicles:

"I don't always downshift, but when I do it's next to a Prius so they can hear me hurt the environment."-Jeremy Clarkson
                          "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8080 users online. 381 members and 7699 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X