300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exit Interview

So recently I handed in all my gear and filled out a bunch of forms before receiving my plaque and gift card. One of those forms was the exit interview, a two-page questionnaire with a bunch of statements like "Management was supportive in accomplishing mission goals" or "My workplace was free of personal conflicts". Then I was to circle one of the following: 1- Fully Disagree 2-Disagree 3 -Not Applicable 4- Agree 5-Fully Agree. There was space at every answer to write comments or expound on answers. I'm sure many of you have seen similar forms.

I filled it out, somewhat in a hurry with every answer in the 3 column. No comments either.

And there was no face to face interview with management. In all candor, that didn't bother me. I had no bitterness or anger or even a tinge of indignancy as I was departing. If anything, I was grateful to be leaving on my own terms, and grateful for the good experiences and friendships. And looking forward to future endeavors.

Plus, I've been around long enough to know that in-person exit interviews, when they do occur, never amount to any meaningful organizational change. You could sit across the desk from an upper manager or HR person and look them in the eye and describe in great detail about the grossly unfit supervisor and because of his BS, you are leaving the job. Unless you were getting smacked in the teeth or punched in the genitals every morning, they could not care less. Why? Because the machine is a cold beast. The machine only looks to protect the machine. The machine doesn't value input or criticism. That's just how it is.

So fast forward to this week. I go to a government office to get fingerprinted for a new part time job. A couple of HR people are in the room. As I am waiting, an employee walks in and says "I'm quitting today." The person is directed to go down the hall. Then the two HR people have this exchange:

HR person One: "Monica, why don't we do exit interviews anymore?"

HR person Two: "Because no one looks at them. They just sit in that folder."

So... let there be no confusion or doubt. The exit interview is an exercise in futility. I can attest to it.
    “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Hanlon's razor

Rat, I think you played that well, and I think your perceptions are accurate.

Our responses to an exit interview aren't going to magically solve problems that formal administrative harassment complaints we made against known d0uchebags of higher rank (at some great risk to our careers) didn't solve.
    Last edited by Aidokea; 09-21-2019, 06:03 PM.

Comment

...and given the amount of "help" that the organization gave us over the years, when we really needed (and deserved) a little fair play, why would we now suddenly care (at all) about improving the organization at the time that we have decided to cash in our chips and walk away?

I improved the organization as much as I was ever going to, when I was on the job every day all those years...
      Last edited by Aidokea; 09-21-2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

It's like Gerbil Voodoo- it might make you feel good for that brief moment, to respond to a particularly volatile question by giving them both barrels, but in the long term, what good (to you) is going to come from that?

The best course of action is to just give one last smile, collect your chips, and leave.

To go back to Gerbil Voodoo, they can have the last word, but I get the last act.
        Last edited by Aidokea; 09-21-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
          I had no bitterness or anger or even a tinge of indignancy as I was departing. If anything, I was grateful to be leaving on my own terms, and grateful for the good experiences and friendships. And looking forward to future endeavors.
          Amen. Move through the target, to your objecive.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8190 users online. 392 members and 7798 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X