300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Beach Police Shooting and Probable Lawsuit

Here's a story about an OIS that occurred in my area earlier this year. And of course the family of the deceased wants to sue:

https://wtkr.com/2019/09/16/virginia...osecutors-say/

Guess good body cam footage can't protect you.................
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

I could not find anything in the "link" that indicates that the family of the suspect is seeking a lawsuit. Sounds like the member was cleared criminally. I PRESUME that the Agency WILL back the member up civilly?!
    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
    "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
      I could not find anything in the "link" that indicates that the family of the suspect is seeking a lawsuit. Sounds like the member was cleared criminally. I PRESUME that the Agency WILL back the member up civilly?!
      Oh I forgot to look to see if the article included that info. I got the lawsuit probability from the news last night; the story about the shooting mentioned that the family has hired or is going to hire a lawyer.

I hope that the VBPD backs him up, but I just don't know...........
      It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Anyone can find a lawyer who's willing to roll the dice on a lawsuit for an OIS. If they hit the right price, the bean counters will pay out a settlement instead of paying to fight it in court...it's a numbers game and the lawyers (who usually take 40%+ of the settlement) are the winners.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by PtownVAMike View Post
          Here's a story about an OIS that occurred in my area earlier this year. And of course the family of the deceased wants to sue:

https://wtkr.com/2019/09/16/virginia...osecutors-say/

Guess good body cam footage can't protect you................. :rolleyes:
          Tell me the OUTCOME of the lawsuit................then I will agree or disagree

I got sued over 100 times when I worked in the Administrative Segregation unit of my prison (over 4 yrs)

ONLY one went to trial and I won that one by directed verdict.

Anyone can sue anyone at any time. WINNING the law suit is what is hard. Body cameras will more likely SAVE an officer than hurt them (at least for what I have personally seen)

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
          Anyone can find a lawyer who's willing to roll the dice on a lawsuit for an OIS. If they hit the right price, the bean counters will pay out a settlement instead of paying to fight it in court...it's a numbers game and the lawyers (who usually take 40%+ of the settlement) are the winners.
          Yep.......................................my bosses (state Appeal Board) settled for 75K in a death that had it gone to trial would have looked terrible even though we did everything correctly. It just LOOKED like crap (even on video)
          Had that gone to a jury we would have got raped by the verdict.
          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-17-2019, 06:09 PM.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8151 users online. 390 members and 7761 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X