300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRO for first job?

Good afternoon. Just wanted to ask for advice on being a Rookie SRO. Is it a good place for a rookie to start off?

Thanks.

SRO is a specialized position. A rookie probably wouldn't start out as an SRO.

And no, I don't think it would be a good place for an officer to start out. You would not be exposed to opportunities to develop your skills as a well-rounded officer.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

An SRO is a patrolman, traffic officer, detective, juvenile officer, child abuse investigator, and counselor all in one. It’s not a position for a rook, because you need to function independently, use exceptionally good judgement, be able to deal with smartmouthed teenagers, be old and wise enough to not get in trouble with teenaged girls, and deal with the school administrators who want you to be their heavy even if no law is being broken. Because of that, an officer needs a few years on to be a succesful SRO. At my agency, more often than not SROs had at least 10 years on.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Thank you for sharing!

Comment

And be able to justify punishing transgressors to sweeping The Quad...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Are you being offered an SRO job?

Comment

• Mikeperez9614
                Mikeperez9614 commented
                Editing a comment
                No, but I have been encouraged by a few people (some officers) to give it a shot. Some say its a good opportunity to just start off in, and some who currently work as an SRO say its more for Veterans or Retired Cops.

The School district I graduated from and spent all my school years in are starting their department in December of this year.

I agree with the others on this post and that's why I haven't applied. My family doesn't understand that its not a good fit for a rookie and I don't expect them to. I keep telling them I didn't join to work office hours and in most cases 10 months out of a year.

Thanks again for the advice. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't being selfish.

WHY would ANY Agency want a rookie as a SRO?! A rookie would know diddly-squat about the Agency, the law, and ANYTHING, so what could would it do giving them a cushy day-shift job, right off the hop!?
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

Starting you off there will result in many lawsuits, complaints, and possible termination. No matter what your “background “ is, you are not ready for that level of responsibility.

Your “friends “ are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Starting you off there will result in many lawsuits, complaints, and possible termination. No matter what your “background “ is, you are not ready for that level of responsibility.

Your “friends “ are wrong.
                That's quite a stretch. I know a couple of SRO's who were rookies, relatively speaking, who are successful in what they do.

Depends on the person who's doing it and the school itself. As for the OP, it doesn't sound like he wants to do it anyways.
                Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

Not a stretch at all. SROs have more independence than most beat cops, and need the skills as posted above me.

putting a rook in that role is sheer stupidity.

Comment

I don't think there will be lawsuits, but that is nowhere to start, whether during field training, or even after. Get some experience first, THEN go for the M to F day-shift job.
                    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                    "Smile" - no!

Comment

Is this SRO job a civilian position, or a sworn PD position? Who is the employer, and what is the employees status?

Comment

Down here some school systems have their own police departments. Like other departments they too are having staffing problems and could hire rookie officers if they wanted.

But the other school systems that use the local PDs and SOs, they normally get veteran officers as SROs.

Personally I would not work as SRO no matter how much they pay.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                          I don't think there will be lawsuits, but that is nowhere to start, whether during field training, or even after. Get some experience first, THEN go for the M to F day-shift job.
                          You aren’t in the US.

Comment

• PeteBroccolo
                            PeteBroccolo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Is that comment regarding my naivety re the propensity of Americans to sue for anything and everything, or my suggestion of getting actual field-experience before getting a cushy job, or is it meant to smear me at being able to comment at all?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8426 users online. 390 members and 8036 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X