Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Harley-Davidson police motorcycles have a top speed less than a Toyota Prius?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Harley-Davidson police motorcycles have a top speed less than a Toyota Prius?

Stock, Stage I modified, Stage II modified, all of the 1.9-liter Harley-Davidson police motorcycles had a top speed of less than the electronically-restricted top speed of the 1.8-liter Toyota Prius, and came in dead last in just about every other category in the 2019 MSP vehicle test report:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...k_639203_7.pdf

In the report, they indicated that the Yamaha FJR1300P-AB reached 100mph in .14 mile, and it took the Harley-Davidson FLHTP .39 mile to reach 100mph. That's a MASSIVE difference.

Comment

In the 2018 test, they reported that the Harley-Davidson FLHP took an average of 19.12 seconds to reach 100mph, but it only took an average of 15.09 seconds for the Zero DSRP rechargeable battery-powered electric motorcycle to reach 100mph.

Comment

Because, they need oil to operate...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol...…...

I don't know what the bean-counters are thinking, when they purchase Harley-Davidson motorcycles for police use- the only three things a motorcycle can do, is brake, turn, and accelerate, and Harley-Davidson motorcycles are incapable of doing ANY of those three things to any reasonable degree of competency.

In the 2018 test, the Stage-IV modified (big-bore, big-cam engine rebuild) version was only able to manage an asthmatic 110 mph top speed, still 2 mph less than the electronically-restricted top speed of a Toyota Prius.

Comment

Remember -

The BMW is like dating a POSH gal. It’s not cheap, but you knew that going in. She looks nice and treats you well.

The Harley is like dating a crazy chick. She might be cheap and seemed like a great idea at the time. But, sooner or later she going to snap and try to kill you.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• reils49
            reils49 commented
            Editing a comment
            If I could like it twice, I would have.

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            The BMW is like dating Claudia Schiffer. The Harley is like dating Roseanne Barr.
            Last edited by Aidokea; 09-11-2019, 12:29 PM.

Are we forgetting the purpose of the FLHP?

Top speed isn’t what they’re designed for.

Comment

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            The Toyota Prius isn't designed for top speed either...but it's still faster than the Harley.

This is the best discussion in weeks!
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I think this finding is a pretty good reason for Ducati or Yamaha to become the standard. Harley ticked me off when they discontinued the V-rod anyway.

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              When we visited the Isle of Man for the TT races, we found that the police there use Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbikes.
              Last edited by Aidokea; 09-11-2019, 03:53 PM.

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              Since we live in America we need to 1 up them then. I'm going to recommend the Diavel, at least that's closer to a cruiser.

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              Cruisers are the only type of motorcycle that has no legitimate functional purpose, so the Diavel would not be a step up from any Panigale.

The 1299 Panigale would be pretty tough to top, but if I was going to try, I would try with the 212-horsepower 385 pound MV Agusta F4 RC.

I enjoy reading the MSP annual vehicle report.

I just noticed that the V6-powered Ford F150 4x4 pickup that they tested, is 7 seconds a lap faster around Grattan Raceway than the "Stage I" modified Harley-Davidson FLHP.

And before anyone brings it up, I'm pretty sure that Ford didn't design the F150 4x4 pickup for road racing. But it CAN carry a Harley-Davidson in the bed...and six people inside...and tow a trailer...and drive in snow/ice/offroad...

Comment

For those that are interested, this is the State of California's new, low bid contract for motors (it's public record, so no one knee jerk, please).

https://www.caleprocure.ca.gov/PSRel..._ID=1-19-23-30

Comment

My understanding is because of the very low slung weight the bikes are very good at the slow and tight stuff. I know a motor officer who went from HD to a BMW RT recently. He mentioned the HD is truly all day comfortable but they were so low they had trouble coming over curbs and stuff without breaking bits. Picking up an HD off the ground should also be a heck of a lot easier than picking up a Connie, RT, ST, FJR, GS, or Multi.

Comment

One of the biggest things our guys complain about is that the Harley starts to wobble at 103 MPH. This pretty much rules out its use for anything at high speed.

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Even if the Harley-Davidsons had enough power to achieve high speeds, the awful brakes/suspension/tires/ergonomics/geometry and flaccid chassis would make high speeds unsafe.

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    103mph? My last motorcycle would do more than that in first gear.

Ford's 3.0L V6 4x4 police SUV is electronically restricted to a top speed of 150mph, which is 41mph faster than the fastest Harley-Davidson tested.

Comment

I'm a pretty avid motorcyclist, and I was recently asked why I haven't applied for our department's motor unit. I explained that I felt the HD Road Kings that make up the unit are exactly the wrong piece of equipment for patrol duty in the urban environment where we work. But since my state is home to HD Central, we're not likely to ever see anything but giant cruisers in service around here.

Comment

• Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My background is as an expert-licensed motorcycle road racer, motorcycle road racing instructor, and motorcycle road racing official, and I refused to put in for our motor unit for the same reason.

Likewise, I would have refused to apply for our SWAT team, if our SWAT team was issued Nerf guns. And Harley-Davidson motorcycles are the Nerf guns of motorcycling.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6797 users online. 321 members and 6476 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X