300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psych test please read and help

I currently turned 20 about 2 weeks ago and I currently spoke with my background investigator and she said that I might not be able to pass the psych test Bc of how young I am. She said that she’s hired 19 year olds before but since I have no work experience or college experience the likelihood of me passing are low. I do help my dad run his business, Ive been doing it since I was 15 but it’s undocumented. And I am currently self sponsoring myself through the academy I’m just waiting on my start date. Any advice on the psych test?!

There's no advice to be given on taking a psych besides answer honestly, don't overthink the questions, and don't try to mess with the test. This isn't a you-can-study-for-it kind of test...it's designed to determine whether you have the psychological profile for LE and what that particular department is looking for.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan-17 View Post
      I currently turned 20 about 2 weeks ago and I currently spoke with my background investigator and she said that I might not be able to pass the psych test Bc of how young I am. She said that she’s hired 19 year olds before but since I have no work experience or college experience the likelihood of me passing are low. I do help my dad run his business, Ive been doing it since I was 15 but it’s undocumented. And I am currently self sponsoring myself through the academy I’m just waiting on my start date. Any advice on the psych test?!
      Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
      There's no advice to be given on taking a psych besides answer honestly, don't overthink the questions, and don't try to mess with the test. This isn't a you-can-study-for-it kind of test...it's designed to determine whether you have the psychological profile for LE and what that particular department is looking for.
      Read the above 10 times and understand that it is just the way it works.

I also would really consider NOT sponsoring yourself at an academy at this point in time. I don't know what state you are in but should you by chance pass the academy and not be able to pass hiring processes...............you are going to be screwed if you can't get hired within whatever time limits your state imposes on academy graduates (many states have a 2 yr limit or so ) should you not get hired within that time frame you would have to retake an academy .....................

You are 20....................................you have plenty of time to get hired. Go to college get some verifiable part time jobs while studying some subject that interests you ( YES Criminal Justice is one of those subjects you could study )
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-07-2019, 04:35 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Jonathan-17
        Jonathan-17 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m located in South Florida

Some places in FL require certified applicants. Self sponsor may be the only way to get in unless you go with certain state agencies and the larger departments.

Unless things have changed it was 4 years before you lose your certification.

I agree with Bing_Oh on the psych test.

Keep applying and good luck.
      Last edited by westside popo; 09-08-2019, 03:41 AM.

Comment

I am not sure why your BI would even put that out there.

As noted, this is not something that you can study for. Be honest. It is what it is.

What pops out to me is that you are 20 years old and you are not working or in school.

My first chief told me that if he had a choice, he would not hire anyone who was not at least 26 years old. There's some wisdom in that.

Comment

If you're 20 and not working or in school... or both... that's a red flag anyway.

My suggestion is either look at the military, IF you really want to serve and embrace the suck not just to pass time and pad your resume, or detention/jailer type positions. It's a good way to start, get your name and work ethic known within an agency and you learn a lot that's useful on the road. After 3-5 years you'll have the maturity and experience a department is looking for... or you'll have decided this job isn't for you after all.

Either way, get some college under your belt. You're just wasting time if you aren't at least doing that.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

The OP said he was working with his dad at his business, so there should be a way to prove what he has been doing up to this point. I agree college or military would be a good next step. On the other hand, I believe you "can" get in the door at 20, although that will have it's challenges. For starts, you will be carrying a firearm that you would otherwise be too young to purchase yourself, and 20 is mighty young to be dealing in an official capacity with older adults. On the upside, you will be really young when you retire.

With respect to the psych test, good info has already been offered.

Comment

The OP said he was working with his dad at his business, so there should be a way to prove what he has been doing up to this point.
              ...but the OP also says the BI doesn't consider it work experience.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4934 users online. 221 members and 4713 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X