Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff: Parents to be notified of teens' DPS stops

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/s....4886a11b.html

The sheriff's department said there's a new plan in place for cracking down on teenage drivers.

If teens get pulled over by a deputy and they don't tell their parents, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he will tell.Teen drivers busted by deputies and hoping to keep it from their parents won't have that option anymore.

The sheriff's department said in an effort to help young drivers become safe drivers, it's going to start notifying their parents when they commit a traffic violation.

"As a mother of three boys, I think it's a very good idea," Karen Deadrick said. "I have actually one son who is going into the Army and called me at the last minute and said, 'Go pay my traffic ticket that I got like a year and a half ago.'"

Parents can expect to be notified by mail even if their teen only got a warning.

"I think the parents should be aware of the kids' driving capacity out there," said Barbara Hadden, a parent.

Parent Lori Hardin said she thinks it's a great idea.

"…I don't mind. I think it's great that they're trying to make our city more safe," she said.

Dan Bedgood, a parent, said he thinks it's probably a reasonable approach because it may save a kid's life.

Car crashes are the leading cause of death among teenagers.

The sheriff's department is hoping the letters will create a dialogue between parent and child about drive habits.

"The parents will know what their sons and daughters are doing and if they can talk to their child about it they might give them good advice and they won't do it again because then we tend to do it over again if nothing happens," said Ivan Lopez, a teen driver.

The new program started today

Originally posted by xraodcop View Post
    http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/s....4886a11b.html

The sheriff's department said there's a new plan in place for cracking down on teenage drivers.

If teens get pulled over by a deputy and they don't tell their parents, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he will tell.Teen drivers busted by deputies and hoping to keep it from their parents won't have that option anymore.

The sheriff's department said in an effort to help young drivers become safe drivers, it's going to start notifying their parents when they commit a traffic violation.

"As a mother of three boys, I think it's a very good idea," Karen Deadrick said. "I have actually one son who is going into the Army and called me at the last minute and said, 'Go pay my traffic ticket that I got like a year and a half ago.'"

Parents can expect to be notified by mail even if their teen only got a warning.

"I think the parents should be aware of the kids' driving capacity out there," said Barbara Hadden, a parent.

Parent Lori Hardin said she thinks it's a great idea.

"…I don't mind. I think it's great that they're trying to make our city more safe," she said.

Dan Bedgood, a parent, said he thinks it's probably a reasonable approach because it may save a kid's life.

Car crashes are the leading cause of death among teenagers.

The sheriff's department is hoping the letters will create a dialogue between parent and child about drive habits.

"The parents will know what their sons and daughters are doing and if they can talk to their child about it they might give them good advice and they won't do it again because then we tend to do it over again if nothing happens," said Ivan Lopez, a teen driver.

The new program started today

Wouldn't parents already know if the kid is under their auto insurance? At least my statement shows the # of demerit points each driver has.

Comment

Originally posted by nitromt View Post
      Wouldn't parents already know if the kid is under their auto insurance? At least my statement shows the # of demerit points each driver has.
      Not if you get a warning.

Comment

I already have my own plan. If they get a warning, they have to call their parents for me on the spot. Their choice.

If they get a real ticket, parents have to come or pay anyway.
        Space for rent .........

Comment

Good forward thinking, and a great idea.

I worry that some officers will see it as a painful additional step to their job.
          A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

If the kids are getting warnings then it's a great idea. Give them a chance while they are young before they really screw up their records or even worse kill someone with recklessness.
            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Great idea! In my jurisdiction, juveniles have to bring a parent with them to juvenile traffic court. In my department, if we issue a warning to a juvenile instead of a ticket, a departmental clerk mails the parents a letter advising them of the stop. As a parent, I would want to know if one of my kids gets pulled over. Good proactive policing.

Comment

Originally posted by bucksone View Post
                Great idea! In my jurisdiction, juveniles have to bring a parent with them to juvenile traffic court. In my department, if we issue a warning to a juvenile instead of a ticket, a departmental clerk mails the parents a letter advising them of the stop. As a parent, I would want to know if one of my kids gets pulled over. Good proactive policing.
                That's great!
                "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I used to try to hide my tickets from my parents, but they always found out somehow. I think this is a pretty good idea, though.

Comment

In Texas, all drivers under 17 must bring a parent or guardian to court with them, even to plead guilty.
                    Even those who get warning tickets get a follow up letter mailed to their home letting the parents know the child got a warning.
                    I kinda wish they'd up the age to everyone under 18.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Heat View Post
                      In Texas, all drivers under 17 must bring a parent or guardian to court with them, even to plead guilty.
                      Even those who get warning tickets get a follow up letter mailed to their home letting the parents know the child got a warning.
                      I kinda wish they'd up the age to everyone under 18.
                      (Note: sarcasm...)
                      Maybe we should have no limit on the age of the driver. Perhaps if we have a 42 year old who speeds, we should notify his 70 year old mother as well seeing as if you haven't learned at age 42 then you are in dire need of more parental supervision to correct your driving habits. Hey, I have another idea, since we know that senior citizens are not that great of drivers too how about everytime we find one being retarded on the road, we should their sons and daughters to let them know of their parents driving as well.

I personally think this is a wasted effort. You're telling the parents something that they probably ALREADY will find out anyways through their insurance company.

The real problem isn't specific to teens, its with everyone. This country tends to have poor drivers relative to some other countries.

Comment

Juvie court sucks, the parents always get called. If they give an appropriate response to the fact that their heathen just got stopped for driving HUA then the kid rolls with a warning. If they play the quit harassing my kid, the kid gets a ticket and the parents have to come to court.
                        "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

nitromt, do you really think that it's unfair for parents to know what their 16 and 17 year old kids are doing out there?
                          As a responsible parent, I feel it's my job to know if my kids are messing up and endangering their lives with bad driving.
                          I've seen too many kids wreck/hurt/killed because of their driving, or that of their friends. Yeh, kids under 18 need extra attention in regards to their driving. If that means telling mom and dad their son was roof surfing at 45 mph or driving 105 through a construction zone, of 55 through a school zone after school while dozens of kids were walking home...well yeah, I think it's very much the right thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by nitromt View Post
                            I personally think this is a wasted effort. You're telling the parents something that they probably ALREADY will find out anyways through their insurance company.

The real problem isn't specific to teens, its with everyone. This country tends to have poor drivers relative to some other countries.
                            Umm, prevention is part of the job. If nothing else the parents may feel a bit embarassed by a call from the cops and do something to rectify the situation. If not at least they were inconvenienced for their lack of parenting. Feel free to do the job half assed, but some people actually have some concern about our communities and are willing to take an extra minute to try to make things better.

The poor driving is reflective of the lack of personal responsibility and self centered thought that pervades our society. If people were a bit more courteous and paid attention to others on the road we would see a marked inprovement in driving behavior. I guess that wont happen if we don't take a minute to call kids parents though.

I could be wrong, but it's just a thought.
                            "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Parents Notified.

Another good idea from Sheriff Arpaio. While it's true parents will eventually find out about a citation (insurance), the warning often slips by. I guess the Sheriff's Office is doing what schools have been doing for ages. That is, keeping parents in the loop concerning their kids. I feel most parents will appreciate that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3635 users online. 262 members and 3373 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X