Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chief takes May Day officers off street!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief takes May Day officers off street!

Chief takes May Day officers off street Mon May 7, 2:27 AM ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070507/...on_rally_clash

LOS ANGELES - Police Chief William Bratton said Sunday that up to 60 members of an elite squad that swarmed into a park and fired rubber bullets during a May Day immigration rally are no longer on the street.

Bratton said he spent the weekend viewing video of the MacArthur Park incident and he said LAPD failures were widespread with officers from the top on down culpable.

"I'm not going to defend the indefensible," Bratton told journalists groups during a meeting at a television studio in Hollywood. "Things were done that shouldn't have been done."

Journalists were among those roughed up as Metropolitan Division's B Platoon moved through MacArthur and fired 148 rubber bullets to break up what had been a peaceful and lawful immigration rally.

Police said they moved in after rocks and bottles were thrown at them by 30 to 40 agitators, he said.

The Metropolitan Division is the city's premier police squad, made up of experienced officers who have extensive training in crowd control.

Bratton said up to 60 members of the Metro's B Platoon are no longer in the field. Additionally, he said, some officers will "in all likelihood" not return to the Metropolitan Division.

"Some of this will be career-impacting," Bratton said, adding that imposition of permanent discipline will await completion of the Police Department investigation.

Journalist organizations asked why officers ignored LAPD policies toward the news media worked out after reporters were assaulted during the 2000 Democratic National Convention.

A 2002 agreement called for designation of a safe spot for reporters covering news events. LAPD spokeswoman Mary Grady acknowledged reporters were not given "a designated safe spot" at MacArthur Park.

"There appears to have been here a failure to communicate," Press Photographers Association local president John McCoy said.
    For the first time I saw the Videos last night and the situation does not look good! Especially when all they showed was when the Officers were responding to the attacks of rocks and other debris!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Seems like the Chief is a media puppet.

Comment

It is a no win situation. In the eyes of the public, the LAPD is guilty just based on eye witnesses and the melee that ensued. And Shamefully so, the LE in that area is only going to get worse because whether they prosecute the LEOs who were taken off the street and they are aquitted, the community will think no justice was served.

Unfortunately, none of us were there to observe the incident and can not judge for ourselves whether there was mistreatment of the civilians.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden View Post
        Unfortunately, none of us were there to observe the incident and can not judge for ourselves whether there was mistreatment of the civilians.
        Neither was Bratton. What he is doing to his officers sickens me. He was never an LAPD officer, and I doubt he is considered as one of their own. He had a couple years on patrol in Boston in the early 70s and hasn't done police work since then. I saw nothing whatsoever wrong with anything the officers did, based on the videos and the articles.

Reporters are not exempt from dispersal orders. When a riot is occurring, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to scrutinize press credentials. It is also highly likely, and has happened many times before, that the rioters bring their own cameras and "press credentials" for their radical newsletters. They might be somewhat legitimate credentials, or could be completely forged. Anyone who has ever worked as an officer in a crowd control situation knows that there is no time to speak to people on an individual basis, and that one-on-one interaction destroys the integrity of the platoon. The line will break down, and more chaos results when rioters see some people being allowed to break through the line, and others being pushed back.

A true professional reporter won't make himself part of the problem. With telephoto lenses and shotgun microphones, they can get "up close and personal" video from 50 or 100 yards away.

LAPD did a fine, professional job. Bratton has no clue about police work.

If any of the officers are criminally charged, I will proudly contribute to their defense fund.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

The chief should be held accountable for not giving clear orders of how he wanted the situation to be handled by his subordinates. It ridicules that he plays arm chair QB for the press. He is ultimately responsible on how his department is conducted. You cant tell me the chain of command didn’t keep him apprised of the situation.

The officers where doing their jobs, by dispersing a violent crowd that was throwing rocks and bottles. When agitators are hidden within the crowd they must be extracted from the group. The Chief is playing into the media hands by speak out against his departments actions.
          "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

Chief takes May Day officers off street!

http://www.thegunzone.com/mos/nypd-gripe.html

The problem I see is that there are persons whose only goal is to climb that career ladder. These people are POLITICIANS. If you are a politician, it is easier to dump on the street or road cop, than come in conflict with a minority.

LAPD members should have a vote of confidence on Bratton. His willingness to discipline officers for following procedure will lead to: Officers calling in sick on these occasions

and

Not risking their life to enforce the law.

Comment

Let LA burn to the ground. (I know, good people live there too).

POS like that "chief" (who is no leader as far as I am concerned) are giving our country away. The next time there is a protest, the officers should just watch and let things go by way of the rodney king riots. Every last stinking time.

Who wants to work for LAPD with losers like this in charge?
              Space for rent .........

Comment

I think one of the main reasons Bratton is so quick to condemn these officers (without due process) is that some of those that had force used against them were reporters. If Bratton doesn’t come out and condemn these officers, the media would band together and crucify him and began an ongoing slander campaign against the department. A real man would stand up and say “too bad your reporters were hit with rubber bullets… they should have left the area if they didn’t want to get confused with rioters!” Instead we see a spineless “chief” bowing to political and media pressure.
                "There are two sides to every story.... mine and wrong." ~Stephen Colbert

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." ~ Mel Brooks

"Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed."~ Mel Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by cc_chiller View Post
                  I think one of the main reasons Bratton is so quick to condemn these officers (without due process) is that some of those that had force used against them were reporters. If Bratton doesn’t come out and condemn these officers, the media would band together and crucify him and began an ongoing slander campaign against the department. A real man would stand up and say “too bad your reporters were hit with rubber bullets… they should have left the area if they didn’t want to get confused with rioters!” Instead we see a spineless “chief” bowing to political and media pressure.

I'm not LE, but my personal feeling is that protests do nothing but create trouble. I wouldn't be a part of any protest because they usually aren't large enough to effect change anyways.
                  I think that if you join an "aggressive" protest, you are asking to get beat down. If I was there and I saw police in riot gear, I'm getting out of the area as fast as I can. If you stay, you're stupid and you're going to get a Bio 101 lesson in the Darwin theory.

Comment

Originally posted by nitromt View Post
                    I'm not LE, but my personal feeling is that protests do nothing but create trouble.
                    Aside from this Immigration Protest, are you telling me that our right to protest only creates trouble? If we as americans feel that certian laws or policies are unjust or wrong, we should just accept it? Besides writing letters to our congressmen, what else should we do?

I wouldn't be a part of any protest because they usually aren't large enough to effect change anyways.
                    So we might as well stay home and argue at the TV or just complain about it? I may be ignorant, but for some reason, I still feel that TRYING to make a difference is much better then not doing anything at all!

I think that if you join an "aggressive" protest, you are asking to get beat down. If I was there and I saw police in riot gear, I'm getting out of the area as fast as I can. If you stay, you're stupid and you're going to get a Bio 101 lesson in the Darwin theory.
                    Most protest are never out there to be "aggressive!" They are out there to be peacefull! Of course, sometimes they can get out of hand, but not the majority!

I would NEVER CONDONE clashing with police officers!! I don't condone "Aggressive" protesting! I don't think I condone Illegal Aliens being able to protest either! I DO CONDONE THE RIGHT TO PROTEST!!!

This was just based on the RIGHT to go out there and TRY to make a change! Not necessarily on the Immigration issue!! Sorry for the RANT!!!
                    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Comment

Originally posted by MykesCrazy View Post
                      Aside from this Immigration Protest, are you telling me that our right to protest only creates trouble? If we as americans feel that certian laws or policies are unjust or wrong, we should just accept it? Besides writing letters to our congressmen, what else should we do?

So we might as well stay home and argue at the TV or just complain about it? I may be ignorant, but for some reason, I still feel that TRYING to make a difference is much better then not doing anything at all!

Most protest are never out there to be "aggressive!" They are out there to be peacefull! Of course, sometimes they can get out of hand, but not the majority!

I would NEVER CONDONE clashing with police officers!! I don't condone "Aggressive" protesting! I don't think I condone Illegal Aliens being able to protest either! I DO CONDONE THE RIGHT TO PROTEST!!!

This was just based on the RIGHT to go out there and TRY to make a change! Not necessarily on the Immigration issue!! Sorry for the RANT!!!
                      What I'm trying to get at is that you DO have the right to protest. Heck, you even have the right to revolt. BUT you don't have the right to WIN.
                      Unless if it was a cause that affects a significant number of people (ie. American Revolution), you will most likely not achieve your goal. I'd rather ride the sideline, stay low-key, build and acquire the resources for a specific endeavor, and then when I BELIEVE I can win then execute what is necessary. Being part of those protests in LA probably accomplished next to nothing save a beating.

Comment

What nobody seems to remember is that Bratton is in the middle of trying to get a 5 year contract extension.

There's a saying on my department that when ever we do something wrong, LAPD will be in the news tomorrow and take the heat off us. Those poor guys and gals are screwed over there. They have some great coppers and some great suppervisors, but as long as the LA City Council and the LA Police Commision are in charge, they are just plain screwed.

Oh, and lets not forget Pravda, er I mean, the LA Times. They LOVE us cops!
                        Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by cc_chiller View Post
                          I agree with you chiller, but if he didn’t want to be crucified by the media he shouldn’t have got into politics (lets face it Chiefs and Sheriffs are politicians). If street officer can do their jobs being verbally and physical abused on an everyday basis and still have to make good judgment calls. I’m sure he can take a hit from media without condemning good officers for doing their jobs. If disciplinary actions need to be done it should be one on one with the officers not the media. I hope the union hangs him out to dry.

And yes people have the right to have a PEACEFULL assembly.
                          Last edited by AKA=Cruz; 05-08-2007, 02:26 PM.
                          "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

In review the LAPD did exactly what the citizens of LA pay them to do.

And a lot of taxpayers see it that way and will come to the aid of the beleaguered LAPD. Today on Roger Hedgecock Show, Ted Hayes of Choose Black America will announce a rally in support of LAPD for Sat May 12, at Parker Center. Other groups such as Save Our State will join this coalition. Media may try to ignore but the noise is gonna be very loud and constant.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3128 users online. 161 members and 2967 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X