300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 hour shifts

I've seen a lot of threads on here about 10's and 12's, but does anybody here work 8 hour shifts? if so, how do you like it? I'm applying to a dept right now that does 8's. the BI said as a rookie I'd probably get crappy days off too, like tues/thurs, tues/weds, or something like that, not mention probably getting the evening shift 3-11, lol. I think I'd be more of a fan working 10's or 12's, but I really dont know. 8's just seem weird in policing. thanks a lot.

We work 8's 4 on 2 off, steady shifts (6a-2p/2p-10p/10p-6a). The 4/2 is nice in that the junior guys dont get screwed with working every weekend for the first 10 years.

Comment

We work 8 hours with 6 days on followed by 3 days off. It's nice due to rotating days off. You need to consider that in law enforcement you might work an 8 hour shift but it's not uncommon to have to stay beyond the 8 hour shift due to a last second call or followup.

3 days off means being able to do stuff on weekends with the family or getting household projects done.
      Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I wouldn't go back to working 8's unless it was by force. I'm only aware of one or two large agencies in Nebraska that still work 8's otherwise it's 12's with every other weekend off.
        Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
        I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
        Originally posted by weinerdog2000
        as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

charlotte works 8's 5 on 2 off...
          John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Heh....I liked having weekdays off...I got more **** done.
            Last edited by amblnc38; 05-06-2007, 08:45 PM.
            Considerably.....

83.9 on the Jeff Co. test! Woohoo!

Comment

*double post*
              Last edited by amblnc38; 05-06-2007, 08:45 PM.
              Considerably.....

83.9 on the Jeff Co. test! Woohoo!

Comment

Calgary Police Service works 10hr shifts, 4 days on then 3 days off - then 4 days on and 4 days off - on a rotating basis.

Just because you work an 8hr or 10hr shift, doesn't mean your shift will be 8 or 10hrs. A MVA or something like that right before the shift's end can drag your shift out for a while.

Comment

My department went from 8's too 12's last year. The 12 hour shift is so much better. Every other weekend off. When we were on eights, it could take 7-10 years before a Officer would have a weekend. It is nice to have a weekend to relax, and to hang with friend's that are not in Law Enfrocement that have normal weekends off.

Comment

My department still works 8's...5 on, 2 off, so I never have a weekend off unless I take vacation or personal time.
                    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

8 with rotating days off and yearly shift bids. I like having different day off every week.
                      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

I work 5 8 hour shifts. Same days off M/T every week. Our midwatch crew works 4 10s. I don't mind the 8s. It's plenty of time for me to get things done. Although I may want weekends off, it's not bad to have weekdays off, most of my subpoenas are for Mon and Tues. Big time extra money. Not to mention the wife and I get to spend lots of time together on my days off. In the summer we just readjust what would be a normal weekend.

Comment

I'm not really concerned with not being able to get enough done during the shift, I'm sure 8 hours is plenty of time lol. and I definitely understand that taking a call near the end of your shift can extend it past 8 hours. I was just wondering if you maybe preferred 10's or 12's because of more days off and also getting weekends off once in a while if you have a rotating schedule. I had never thought of the fact that having permanent week days off allows you to get more done, that is a good point. thank you for all the responses, 8's dont seem like they'd be so bad anymore.

Comment

For me I am just as tired and want to do just as little when I come home rather it's from a 12 hour shift or an 8 hour shift... so if I were to work 8 hour shifts (luckily no one around here does) I would get a whole lot less done than with 12s.

Comment

Missouri may no longer allow 10 or 12 hour shifts. Because of a new minimum wage law any work over 8 hours in one day is considered overtime. It's in the courts right now.
                              A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10993 users online. 507 members and 10486 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X