Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.A. mayor vows action against guilty officers

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california

In a show of solidarity with families confronted by police during Tuesday's immigrant rally at MacArthur Park, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told Cinco de Mayo audiences around Los Angeles on Saturday that action would be taken against officers found to have violated the law.

The mayor stepped up to a downtown pulpit Saturday night and vowed, "There will be consequences.

"There will be an investigation into what occurred," Villaraigosa said in Spanish, assuring about 300 parishioners at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church that "not even police are above the law." The church is a few blocks southwest of the park where officers in riot gear fired foam bullets at people and used batons on demonstrators during the May Day rally.

Villaraigosa's 7 p.m. appearance at the service was hastily arranged after he returned to Los Angeles from Mexico on Friday to quell community anger and question why Los Angeles Police Department officers apparently violated protocols.

Earlier in the service, Father Alfonso Amezcua delivered a pointed sermon. With Villaraigosa seated only a few feet away, Amezcua said, "We're not seeking revenge. But what do we do about officers who fire weapons at innocent people? What do we do about officers who swing batons at peaceful demonstrators?"

The mayor nodded in sympathy.

Earlier, during the Mass, Villaraigosa, who was seated in the front pew, rose and walked down the center aisle toward the back of the church, grasping people's hands and hugging parishioners. He then returned to give his speech at the end of the hour-long service.

During his 10-minute address, he told the parishioners, "It doesn't matter to me whether you have papers or not. You came to work. We all have the same dreams. We want peace and decent jobs."

His message was welcomed in the church that serves a predominantly low-income Latino immigrant community.

"The mayor is right," said Paola Ortiz, 16. "We're trying to have our voices heard in a peaceful way, not to hurt anyone or be hurt."

Earlier in the day, Villaraigosa spoke to several hundred people attending the 15th annual Watts Cinco de Mayo Fair, promising that offenders would be held accountable.

"I want you all to know that what we saw on May 1 was unacceptable," he said. "Everybody has the right to march, to stand up and speak out."

L.A. mayor vows action against guilty officers

1. Why are the officers "Guilty"? If it was a dirt-bag, filmed shooting someone with intent to kill, the L A Slimes would have referred to the dirt bag as "Accused" and the crime as "alleged".

2. Looks like if you are not Hispanic, and you are in Los Angeles, you are a sub class.

3. Wonder who did all this investigation so the mayor could declare the officers "Guilty"?

Comment

We're turning into a Mexican colony

Comment

Tom Bradley looks like a topnotch leader next to Mayor Vivalaraza.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by xraodcop View Post
          http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california

During his 10-minute address, he told the parishioners, "It doesn't matter to me whether you have papers or not. You came to work. We all have the same dreams. We want peace and decent jobs."

So it looks like Villaraigosa officially supports illegal immigration...

Here's a funny link http://www.cafepress.com/savecalifornia.54899353

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
            Tom Bradley looks like a topnotch leader next to Mayor Vivalaraza.

Now that is one of the best "plays on words" I have seen in a long, long time.

Viva La Raza.....clever, sir.

It is just a sad shame that people who break the law just by being here are considered by some to be "more worthy" than our law officers who put their lives on the line every day to protect them.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I didnt see anything wrong in the video. If the crowed wont leave you got to get um to go some how. Tear gas and force works well I hear...
              "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

WOW! Guilty? Already? Like x said usually politicians and the media say alleged. I feel for the officers in LA. They've been thrown under the bus without any benefit of the doubt or due process.

Comment

LAPD chief: Cops who fired at protesters are off streets

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Police Chief William Bratton said Sunday that up to 60 members of an elite squad that swarmed into a park and fired rubber bullets during a May Day immigration rally are no longer on the street.

Bratton said he spent the weekend viewing video of the MacArthur Park incident and he said LAPD failures were widespread with officers from the top on down culpable.

"I'm not going to defend the indefensible," Bratton told journalists during a meeting at a television studio in Hollywood.

"Things were done that shouldn't have been done."

Journalists were among those roughed up as Metropolitan Division's B Platoon moved through MacArthur and fired 148 rubber bullets to break up what had been a peaceful and lawful immigration rally.

Police said they moved in after rocks and bottles were thrown at them by 30 to 40 agitators, he said.

The Metropolitan Division is the city's premier police squad, made up of experienced officers who have extensive training in crowd control.

Bratton said up to 60 members of the Metro's B Platoon are no longer in the field. Additionally, he said, some officers will "in all likelihood" not return to the Metropolitan Division.

"Some of this will be career-impacting," Bratton said, adding that imposition of permanent discipline will await completion of the Police Department investigation.

Journalist organizations asked why officers ignored LAPD policies toward the news media worked out after reporters were assaulted during the 2000 Democratic National Convention.

A 2002 agreement called for designation of a safe spot for reporters covering news events. LAPD spokeswoman Mary Grady acknowledged reporters were not given "a designated safe spot" at MacArthur Park.

"There appears to have been here a failure to communicate," Press Photographers Association local president John McCoy said.

-------------

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/06/ral....ap/index.html

Comment

Dad heard on the radio this morning Bratton said police officers are the fastest group of people he knows to get out of control.

Comment

I've been to LA twice...I'll never go back.
                      Considerably.....

83.9 on the Jeff Co. test! Woohoo!

Comment

April 5, 2007
                        As of August 2006, cities and counties that have sanctuary policies include:

Anchorage, AK
                        Fairbanks, AK
                        Chandler, AZ
                        Phoenix, AZ2
                        Fresno, CA
                        Los Angeles, CA
                        National City, CA4
                        San Diego, CA
                        San Francisco, CA
                        Sonoma County, CA
                        Evanston, IL
                        Chicago, IL3
                        Cicero, IL
                        Cambridge, MA
                        Orleans, MA
                        Portland, ME
                        Baltimore, MD
                        Takoma Park, MD
                        Ann Arbor, MI
                        Detroit, MI
                        Minneapolis, MN
                        Newark, NJ1
                        Trenton, NJ1
                        Durham, NC
                        Albuquerque, NM
                        Aztec, NM
                        Rio Arriba, County, NM
                        Sante Fe, NM
                        New York, NY
                        Ashland, OR
                        Gaston, OR
                        Marion County, OR
                        Austin, TX
                        Houston, TX
                        Katy, TX
                        Virginia Beach, VA
                        Seattle, WA
                        Madison, WI

Currently there are two statewide policies regarding sanctuary for illegal aliens:

In May 2003, Alaska's state legislature passed a joint resolution prohibiting state agencies from using resources or institutions for the purpose of enforcing federal immigration laws.

In 1987, Oregon passed a law that prohibits state and local law enforcement agencies from using agency moneys, equipment or personnel for the purpose of detecting or apprehending foreign citizens based on violation of federal immigration law. Oregon law, however, does permit their law enforcement officers to exchange information with federal authorities to verify the immigration status of an individual arrested for criminal offenses.

Comment

Ahh Virginia Beach....the wonderful ****hole that will write you a ticket for cursing in public. As*holes.
                          Considerably.....

83.9 on the Jeff Co. test! Woohoo!

Comment

Sounds like you're a potty mouth that needed a DOC ticket.

Comment

Wasn't LAPD one of those departments that I've heard of having trouble recruiting new hires in recent years? Well I can see one of the reason why by this example of how quickly they are to throw their own under the bus.
                              Disclaimer: The opinions I expressed here are mine and mine alone. They do not necessarily reflect the positions any other known person or organization.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7735 users online. 445 members and 7290 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X