300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bucket List: Official Duty Only

About a year ago, a writer contacted me for an interview. We talked for a couple of hours. Recently, his book was published. This week, I went to a bookstore for the first time in ten years and purchased a copy. The portion with my story takes up a chapter.

Backstory: I'm not going into great detail here, mainly because doing so would leave too many identifiers, but in a nutshell: many years ago, the job put me in a volatile situation involving a prominent person in the militia/anti-gov world. As a result, my name is floating out there in old news accounts (the incident occurred prior to the internet age so were talking cut and paste newspaper archives). The writer mentioned above tracked me down to get historical context and perspective and a first-hand account of what happened, so I provided it.

Anyways, now I can cross off "Get a chapter in a book written about a LE situation I was involved in" from my official duty bucket list...

I've completed many bucket list items over the years, and several I won't get to before I wrap things up here shortly. I'm not talking about personal bucket list goals like run with the bulls in Papilloma or snorkel the Great Barrier reef. I'm talking about things you always wanted to accomplish as part of the job that you've checked off, like fast rope out of a Blackhawk or VIP protection at a JLo concert.

Now is an opportunity to amuse and astonish everyone here with your official duty bucket list, both the accomplished and the yet-to-accomplish...

Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

-Bono

The only item on my duty bucket list is not kicking the bucket while on duty.

Comment

my bucket list involves rare charges or tickets that nobody else I now has ever got.

There are some odd ones that occur from time to time, being in charge of a horse while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by liquor box View Post
        my bucket list involves rare charges or tickets that nobody else I now has ever got.

There are some odd ones that occur from time to time, being in charge of a horse while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is on my list.
        Coincidentally, that is on my personal bucket list. Sadly, there's never a horse around when I'm hammered.

Comment

My bucket list is seeing my wife heal well after her hip replacement surgery tomorrow, the past 3 years have been nothing but worry and stress.
          Retired LASD

Comment

At least you got full credit for something good in the media. Everything I've been involved in that made the news, my name was never mentioned or someone else got credit for it.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
              At least you got full credit for something good in the media. Everything I've been involved in that made the news, my name was never mentioned or someone else got credit for it.

The writer was mostly accurate too, other than a couple of minor artistic liberties. Which I appreciate because I've been in other situations that became news but the writer only got half of it true and some parts were so off, it had me wondering if they were talking about the same event.

Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

-Bono

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5022 users online. 205 members and 4817 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X