300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are they right?

Is my dream of being a game warden as stupid to chase as people tell me because I don’t have prior LE experience? Is it a 1 in a million kind of thing?

MOST game wardens I know have no prior LE experience
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm not sure that it's a one in a million chance because you lack prior LE experience, but your odds are decreased compared to most LE positions because there just aren't that many game wardens employed in most areas. It's just a pretty specialized area of LE with a limited number of positions.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Ohio has almost 26,000 sworn officers. At full staffing, wildlife officers number 88 -- one for each county.

I worked with one guy who was able to get on as a wildlife officer. He said the test had a lot to do with fish, birds, and trees. IIRC, his degree was in biology. It is a tough job to get, and a degree in biology, environmental science, forestry, fisheries, etc. would serve you well. I would also look at your state's Dept. of Natural Resources police/ranger positions, as well as local park districts, if you want a "nature" type job.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          It is a tough job to get, and a degree in biology, environmental science, forestry, fisheries, etc. would serve you well. I would also look at your state's Dept. of Natural Resources police/ranger positions, as well as local park districts, if you want a "nature" type job.
          What Joe said. Most wardens/conservation officers are not hired because of their expertise as law enforcement officers. That can be taught. It’s understanding the all environmental type stuff and having some experience in that area.

Comment

In my state, most game wardens do not have prior LE experience because regular law enforcement pays more and officers are unlikely to take the pay cut to become game wardens. If you want to be a warden, your best bet would be to pursue a B.S. in a forestry/fisheries/wildlife related field and work for a local park system as a ranger if possible in the meantime. If you're less science-oriented, go for a B.A. in environmental policy or something of the sort.

Comment

Here in Colorado the basic requirement is a degree in wildlife management, conservation, or closely related fields. Wildlife officers are certified peace officers with statewide authority, but all that means is that they have completed the basic law enforcement academy program.

I suspect that many other states have a similar focus for their wildlife conservation personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Duda View Post
                Is my dream of being a game warden as stupid to chase as people tell me because I don’t have prior LE experience? Is it a 1 in a million kind of thing?
                I've been thru the process for CA's DFW. Most of the other applicants had no prior experience.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8150 users online. 394 members and 7756 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X