300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unchained Maladies

I've never initiated a topic before now. Something profound would have been my preference but, as it is, my first thread will be what's often dismissively categorized as fluff. It just so happens to be that fluff is what's on my mind at the moment, so here goes:

In the course of my daily rounds I often find myself visiting the local convenience stores. They're all part of the same chain and I suppose there's some corporate honcho that selects the music the stores pipe through theor sound system. All have the same selections and they seem to change the play list weekly. It's mostly an eclectic, and sometimes esoteric, mix of older tunes. The loop only runs a couple of hours or so and by the end of the week I've pretty much heard the whole thing.

As a result of my exposure to this canned music, I'm experiencing a problem. Among the musical offerings there always seems to be a tune that firmly lodges itself in my head and refuses to leave. Last week it was the Chicago number, "Saturday in the Park". You know the one:

"People dancing, people laughing, a man selling Ice cream. Singing Italian songs........"

When I'd finally managed to suppress the darned thing, this week's pernicious melody ensconced itself in my brain. Courtesy of Sheena Easton, let's all sing the chorus together.

"My baby takes the morning train, he works from nine till five and then......He takes another home again to find me waitin' for him....."

....and over and over and over again it keeps repeating itself. I just can't seem to stop it. I can't even make it more gender specific.

I know this isn't a unique problem having heard of other's having similar experiences. I recall a few years back when Alka-Seltzer was running the "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is" ads there was talk of some sort of nefarious Madison Avenue brainwashing at work.

I'm sure there are many other songs that, once mentioned, will stick like warm chewing gum to whatever cerebral mechanism governs such things. I was thinking of asking for examples, but on second thought, maybe I shouldn't.

...so, thanks for reading....and I guess that just about wraps up my fluff thread.

I've had "spent their weekends on the Jersey Shore, met our mothers at the USO, asked them to dance, danced with 'em slow" in my head all day.

Comment

I could suggest a possible cure for this infliction.

It's similar to the cure for the hiccups.

Go to your local Blockbuster and rent the movie "They Live," with Roddy Piper.

After you watch this movie you should be cured.

Or it just may make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, the next time one of those songs gets in your head and keeps going, and going, and going.

Comment

It must not be WaWa youre visiting... the two closest to me play my favorite radio station... Y100

When i get to work, with my car radio on, usually the last song i heard driving in is whats stuck in my head all nite. it's AWFUL. i know i'm singing out loud...and just the same few words over and over...oh well, they know i've lost it anyway [Wink]
        "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Believe it or not, I recently read an article that said researchers are studying the very phenomena you are describing to see if it can provide insights into new ways of learning and retaining information.

For me, it's often the catchy pop song of the day that I happen to catch as I'm surfing the radio stations. The latest is "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne.

But the worst was when I took our kids to DisneyWorld. Our youngest was 1 at the time and the only thing that seemed to keep him happy was the "It's a Small World" ride. I went through that thing 4 times one day and couldn't get the song out of my head for weeks.
          Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

quote:
            ..."It's a Small World" ride. I went through that thing 4 times one day and couldn't get the song out of my head for weeks.

There's GOTTA be pain and suffering or undue psychological durress lawsuit there somewhere! At least make Disney pay for "reprogramming" after your day's visit.

Thanks to that damn Toyota commercial, I've got that stupid a** song about all the women in that guy's life. I can't remember the name of it. All I can remember now is "a little bit of CAMRY in my life".

*placing the 870 next to the couch*

Comment

I'm like, JB. Usually the last song I hear on the radio is what's stuck in my brain for hours. The song that's been running through my mind is one I absolutely love, so it can stay there for days and I'd be ok with it. Fallin', by Alicia Keys.

Comment

Well Dino, there IS the beer drinker's version of that Alka Seltzer commercial. Plop plop fizz fizz, I gotta go take a whiz. . .
                6P1 (retired)

Comment

I've had "Isn't It Grand Boys" stuck in my head since yesterday morning.
                  -Sparky

Comment

That lastest "Underneath It All" one. Shucks, I'm not even sure who does it. No Doubt?

What I really hate is when I get a song stuck in my head that I don't like. And then I end up typing, walking, making supper, and driving the car to it.

Comment

Car commercial music gets stuck in my head...

... and it's no wonder that it does get stuck because they keep repeating the same commercial 5 or 6 times when I'm trying to watch a program.
                      Royce is a Lady

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6206 users online. 385 members and 5821 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X