300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you handcuff you do a report

So, My department came out with a new directive, ah I wouldn't say an official directive yet, however, due to a recent officer bad judgment. They want whenever you place handcuffs on anyone and you decide to release them after you need to do an explanation report on why you handcuffed them, unless if they are going to jail because the report will be done anyway. Can some of you guys that are LE list some of the disadvantages of this? I have a few just need more to rebuttal this.

Honestly, I'm trying to think of a reason you wouldn't document a detention...

Even if it's a simple investigative detention, if it's gone far enough that I'm putting handcuffs on, I'll probably be doing at least an informational report anyway.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Sounds pretty standard to me. Probably want to document it for when they come back and accuse you of x y and z.

Comment

I think you are better off with something in writing. If not a report, perhaps a field interview card.
        John from Maryland

Comment

SOP as a LEO is CYA.

Also, learning acronyms are important too apparently.

Comment

• KJB
            KJB commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a language I am fluent in. Does that make me bilingual.

Pretty much everyone we detained got hooked....no paper at all...not even a log entry on the MDT

That may be different now, but it is a MDT entry at the most
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by TEEGRAY1124 View Post
            So, My department came out with a new directive, ah I wouldn't say an official directive yet, however, due to a recent officer bad judgment. They want whenever you place handcuffs on anyone and you decide to release them after you need to do an explanation report on why you handcuffed them, unless if they are going to jail because the report will be done anyway. Can some of you guys that are LE list some of the disadvantages of this? I have a few just need more to rebuttal this.
            A/ This should be discussed in the Squad Room.
            B/ Paper or electronic, thou shalt document all work.
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

I'm not going to be able to help -- at our department, any time the cuffs go on someone, it's going to generate paper. Doesn't matter if they come off 3 seconds later.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                Pretty much everyone we detained got hooked....no paper at all...not even a log entry on the MDT

That may be different now, but it is a MDT entry at the most
                Same here. We handcuff lots of folks every day without actually arresting them and transporting them to the station. No paperwork necessary. The only thing required at that point is a business card and an explanation to the person why they were detained.

Comment

We just got some new policy about this kind of $***. Part of the “criminal justice reforms” our fearless governor has been promising.

I’m over halfway done and I cannot wait to get out. The days of being a proactive cop are coming to an end.
                  I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by TEEGRAY1124 View Post
                    There are no disadvantages. I can't imagine cuffing someone and not documenting. For that matter I can't imagine a call serious enough to detain a party restrained where it wouldn't generate a report anyway.

Detaining unrestrained... while you wait for an ID return or write a summons for example is one thing... but if the cuffs come out...
                    Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-14-2019, 10:06 AM.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

We fill out an online version of this ISR and issue a receipt when necessary. Street stops, etc are documented this way (all day) and we activate body cams and get an event#.
                      http://directives.chicagopolice.org/...CPD-11.910.pdf

Comment

We only did reports if we affected an apprehension, not for just putting handcuffs on
                        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

If you actually think what you are doing when you apply cuffs then you should realise that reporting should be required.

You are depriving someone of their liberty, and lawfully "assaulting" them.

As previously stated, CYA is an important policing rule

Comment

I wrote a brief report on every vehicle stop. Didn't matter if it was citation or warning. So, if I write a report on a verbal warning, then certainly I would be doing one on an occasion where someone is getting cuffed, but not necessarily because they are cuffed, but because it is an official contact with an individual.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12744 users online. 470 members and 12274 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X