Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen / Rehab Unit

Good morning everyone:

I’m starting research on the purchase of a canteen/rehab unit for my fed LE agency. The goal would be that during large events or prolonged incidents that the vehicle would deploy and provide food, water, coffee, etc. Any thoughts or comments that you’d be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. If you’d prefer to talk offline or via official email, please feel free to send me a private message and we’ll figure out how to communicate. The included pic is an example of what the end goal could look like.

Thoughts currently in my brain:
    - How does your organization staff it?
    - What supplies are provided?
    - Are there guidelines as to how/where/when it is deployed?
    - Does the funding come from agency monies, donations, employee groups, etc?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Stay safe,

D.

003_edited.jpg

Why not use the FD or Red Cross or Starvation Army?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

We have a "command trailer" that we got from Air Force surplus (perhaps the only item we've gotten that has been worth the trouble). It's not "staffed" (ie, it's self serve), and we usually keep it stocked with basics like bottled water along with whatever food donations we might get during an emergency. For pre-planned events, it's just a place the officers can get away from the crowds for a break in a climate-controlled environment. It also has a bathroom, which is convenient both for disasters and pre-planned events. Obviously, as a "command trailer," it can also be used for planning and coordination.

My department is, however, quite small, so the logistics of such a unit for a larger agency/event would likely change.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Unless you're a huge department, the Red Cross can do it cheaper and better.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

We have a unit like that started from the fire department. I think it runs primarily from donations from the cities and private donations. Here is the link to the unit they have been great. https://box55.org/
          Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

As mentioned hit up a fire department. In my area there are two county fire departments Los Angeles County and Kern County that have units that will respond to large brush fires with sack lunches and cold drinks. The lunches are a contract basis. The fire department usually has a large surplus of cases of water and Gatorade they are able to stock up after large fires. For LA County the inmate fire crews will roll out hot food for folks. I haven't seen law enforcement do that.
            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by rs1cap View Post
              Good morning everyone:

I’m starting research on the purchase of a canteen/rehab unit for my fed LE agency. The goal would be that during large events or prolonged incidents that the vehicle would deploy and provide food, water, coffee, etc. Any thoughts or comments that you’d be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. If you’d prefer to talk offline or via official email, please feel free to send me a private message and we’ll figure out how to communicate. The included pic is an example of what the end goal could look like.

Thoughts currently in my brain:
              - How does your organization staff it?
              - What supplies are provided?
              - Are there guidelines as to how/where/when it is deployed?
              - Does the funding come from agency monies, donations, employee groups, etc?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Stay safe,

D.

003_edited.jpg
              Have you checked with other Federal LE Agencies as to what they do for such incidents?
              How far distance would the indepent van (similar to the picture) or a towed enclosed van have to travel from its storage point?
              How many Divisions (or whatever you call your mid-level administration / grouping of individual Units, which I assume are at least based on the State that your Units are located in?) does your Agency have that this project would, eventually, have to be scaled-up to?
              What is your Agency's policy on compensation for your members' expenditure for meals-while-on-duty-but-away-from-your-Unit's-office-or-their-residence of whatever distance?
              Sounds like it should be a non-sworn staff member put i/c of authorizing deployment and ordering / obtaining perishable supplies, which might mean issuing an Agency credit card for acquisition of said supplies en route to the incident by vehicle-use staff, one at least who should be uniformed and armed with standard Agency first-responder tools, plus possibly 1, or more, non-sworn staff to be the Mess / Commissary / Canteen serving personnel.
              If the likelihood of there NOT being a CircleK, Stuckeys, Subway, 7-Eleven. other stop-and-rob, or whatever, close to the incident scene, then a place like that is the FIRST place to stop as this armed-chip-wagon heads out of the Agency garage, load up with toufu jerky, bottles of internet-influencer-bath-water, and no-fat snacks, then head out.
              I was 35 years as a (Canadian) Federal (plus Provincial (kinda-like a State) and Municipal) Police Officer, where we struggled with stangulating Force--policy expense-claims procedures until about my last 10 years when we fell under general Federal Government travel expense policy; I was not issued a Fed credit card, but the $ levels allowed went WAY higher, plus hotel and incidental coverage. No lunch-truck, but we did get to break-off for a sandwich.
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

Maybe something like this?Food Truck.jpg

Comment

Menu:
                  - Tactical Tuna Melt;
                  - SWATaco;
                  - Riot Dog with OC Fries and ASPickle.
                  #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                  Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                  RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                  Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11837 users online. 463 members and 11374 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X