300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reanimated Pig brains today; Zombies tomorrow

Something I've posted about before is how re-animation technology is creeping closer and closer to the day when a dead brain can be revived postmortem. What was once the nightmare vision of science fiction will likely become reality sooner than self-driving cars and 5G networks. Bioethicists are warning the implications will be irreversible and will alter the course of humanity.

This weekend, an article in the NYTimes describes a new technology called "ex vivo perfusion", where the brain of a pig is removed from a pig and after four hours on ice, is revived to a functioning organ with no host:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/02/magazine/dead-pig-brains-reanimation.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.6727e910c202

(Btw, being a large mammal, the brain of a pig is similar to a human brain.)

Where is this heading? Will the day come when medical science, in the interest of bettering the life of say an 80 year old confined to a wheel chair, conduct a brain transplant to the carcass of a 20 year old killed in a car accident? Or will brains be removed upon natural death of a person, then fours later hooked up to machines where they can still function, talk, make decisions, etc?

How will LE respond to situations where a re-annimated dead brain is committing a crime?

How will prosecutors establish criminal intent from an organism with no soul? Wouldn't prosecuting a zombie for cannibalism be the same as prosecuting a wolf for eating a lamb?

How will prisons incarcerate a three pound organ?

I see nothing but problems with all this. Good luck to the guys just getting hired because if you think things are bad now, they're going to be alot worse as soon as this genie gets let out of the bottle....

There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Hornady already has products on the market to address this issue:

Comment

How about instead of being the dead back. Try and fix or erase the medical issues we have today.
      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
        How about instead of being the dead back. Try and fix or erase the medical issues we have today.
        Morbid obesity, and all the ancillary health concerns that go along with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
          How will prisons incarcerate a three pound organ?
          Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr knows how:

Comment

Call in the Ninja Turtles. Lord Krang has arrived!
            "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
            -Chris Rock

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11932 users online. 469 members and 11463 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X