300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must see video of terrible tactics

This officers is lucky to be alive,,Who teaches officers to back up from a deadly threat the the these officers did, and why in the heck did this officer try to re holster his gun after shooting the suspect...I wonder if the officers were afraid to use lethal force...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWr...lZm1dLHss-oVmw
    Retired LASD

I’m assuming that he was holstering to then get his taser out?

Lucky he had backup, he was about to be shot and killed with his own weapon.

Comment

This was painful to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
        I wonder if the officers were afraid to use lethal force...
        Is that even a question? Too many times, modern LE agencies are training the "warrior mentality" right out of officers, usually in exchange for things like "crisis intervention" training. The brass doesn't want their department to be the next one on CNN being criticized for shooting someone, along with all the publicity and the eventual lawsuits that go with it. LE is criticized daily for being "too aggressive." There's no doubt that this is affecting officer response, especially in younger officers who have been trained from the beginning like this.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for more "tools in the toolbox," but sometimes the right tool IS the hammer.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
          This officers is lucky to be alive,,Who teaches officers to back up from a deadly threat the the these officers did, and why in the heck did this officer try to re holster his gun after shooting the suspect...I wonder if the officers were afraid to use lethal force...
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWr...lZm1dLHss-oVmw
          They are. It’s no LL, run and hide, wait for backup...be a *****.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

Is that even a question? Too many times, modern LE agencies are training the "warrior mentality" right out of officers, usually in exchange for things like "crisis intervention" training. The brass doesn't want their department to be the next one on CNN being criticized for shooting someone, along with all the publicity and the eventual lawsuits that go with it. LE is criticized daily for being "too aggressive." There's no doubt that this is affecting officer response, especially in younger officers who have been trained from the beginning like this.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for more "tools in the toolbox," but sometimes the right tool IS the hammer.
            The sad thing is, I wouldn't be surprised in the LEAST if the family of this guy still sues the department, and gets a nice settlement, on the grounds that the officers still didn't do enough to deescalate the situation.

I really didn't see any scaling back of preaching the "warrior mentality" when I was in the academy. Our PT/DT instructor told us "In some cases, violence is the answer. And when it is the answer, it is the ONLY answer." Our academy director told us straight out: "If someone tries to kill you, another cop, or a civilian, KILL THEM! You can say in your report that you 'shot to stop' by aiming at the center mass and make it sound softer and politically correct. But your mentality has to be that if anyone is a deadly threat, you're going to kill them." He emphasized that this was not was the curriculum said verbatim, obviously, but that is what you have to do to survive.

Where officers are getting really hesitant is from the brass throwing them under the bus even when they do the right thing. Even with the proper training, in an OIS, the first thing that seems to be assumed is that the cop screwed up and that it was either a bad shoot, or if it was a good shoot, it was still bad because the officer didn't prevent it from getting to that point. And in that case, the officer is going to be looking at criminal charges, get sued into the poorhouse, fired from his job, or all of the above.
            "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
            -Chris Rock

Comment

That was effed up...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11825 users online. 463 members and 11362 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X