300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon governor dispatches state police to find lawmakers

Republican lawmakers in Oregon are in hot water after they refused to partake in a historic vote Thursday to implement a cap and trade program that would target reducing industrial carbon emissions in the state. 
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

So my question is this: What happens when we find them, they tell you to pound sand?

Comment

They are taken directly before the Governor or judge.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
        So my question is this: What happens when we find them, they tell you to pound sand?
        https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...-troopers.html

There was a governor that did this a couple years ago...........................
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Is there a violation of law for which they can be legally arrested in Oregon?
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

The Dems did this same crap in Wisconsin a few years back. But when the Republicans do it, suddenly it's a crime requiring the resources of state law enforcement?
            "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
            -Chris Rock

Comment

Perhaps those States do not have the laws Oregon does?

I have seen the Sheriff go get people for court....like that day. Drive out to their house, handcuff etc and drive back to the courthouse.

Around here, unless it is felony or a DUI, the legislature gets a pass on crime. Legislative Immunity. Itsa thing.
              semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
                The Dems did this same crap in Wisconsin a few years back. But when the Republicans do it, suddenly it's a crime requiring the resources of state law enforcement?
                Yep that was the place I was thinking about .

Originally posted by RGDS View Post

I have seen the Sheriff go get people for court....like that day. Drive out to their house, handcuff etc and drive back to the courthouse.

Around here, unless it is felony or a DUI, the legislature gets a pass on crime. Legislative Immunity. Itsa thing.
                In Iowa a sheriff can be sent to get jurors who do not appear as ordered. Never heard of it happening but it is lawful

Legislative immunity is a thing here too but only when the legislature is actually in session and there are limits I am not sure what those limits are.

Then you have wingnuts like this
                https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...-troopers.html

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  Like many of you, the job has made me a worst case scenario thinker, and this is the kind of situation I was talking about.

You have the governor sending out troopers for something that is not a crime, and something bad happens. Now what? You have an OIS, barricaded subject, use of force complaint... for something that the state police should never have been involved with in the first place!

Republican or Democrat, using or threatening the use of the police against a political opponent is wrong. Politics. That’s all this is.

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post

I’ve also seen a “material witness warrant” threatened, not actually issued. I think the big difference is disobedience to a court order is in itself a crime.

Comment

Sending troopers to arrest 11 republicans who left the state to avoid a vote on carbon emissions... it's all just Kabuki theatre...

STOP IT with the 'better come heavily armed' rhetoric.

Oregon is a spectacular place (disclaimer: I lived in eastern Oregon for many years) but the state government is just a mess. State pension fund is running a $26B (yes, B as in Billion) dollar deficit, thanks to a golden parachute plan that rewards public university employees with $30K a month annuities...

https://expo.oregonlive.com/news/g66...an-1-2019.html
                      Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

-Bono

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

Like many of you, the job has made me a worst case scenario thinker, and this is the kind of situation I was talking about.

You have the governor sending out troopers for something that is not a crime, and something bad happens. Now what? You have an OIS, barricaded subject, use of force complaint... for something that the state police should never have been involved with in the first place!

Republican or Democrat, using or threatening the use of the police against a political opponent is wrong. Politics. That’s all this is.

We have had that situation happen numerous times while serving civil process or court order. Creates a very tough situation to be in the middle of. Many times a judge will want us to "arrest" an individual in a civil case because they failed to show up to their court date. The caveat being, when we inquire about the force we should use, we're told not to use any. I've had a guy create a barricaded situation when trying to serve a subpoena. Fun times.

If the OSP had balls, I'd reject that request by the Governor, but then again, I'm just a peasant who will never be promoted into that level of keaster kissing. Stop using the police as political pawns.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          ...In Iowa a sheriff can be sent to get jurors who do not appear as ordered. Never heard of it happening but it is lawful...
                          Well, Minnesota has something similar and it has been used. When I was in Court Security 25-ish years ago, we had a group of potential jurors. They went through jury selection (voir dire?). One of the jurors did NOT want to serve, but he was selected anyway. In his defense, like some others that don't want to serve, he owned a one or two man business and claimed it would be hardship. He simply didn't show the next day. Judge H ordered "The Sheriff" to bring him before the court forthwith. A deputy, not me, went out to a job site, took him into custody and brought him before the court. While I wasn't personally present, I am told that the stern lecture was very educational AND informative for the juror!

It has been my experience that some, perhaps many, judges who seem lenient to defendants, can take a much more serious posture when it does something to offend them or the court. Similarly, I have experienced what can, and does, happen when someone does something that a judge deems to be Contempt of Court. It is often not pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post

It has been my experience that some, perhaps many, judges who seem lenient to defendants, can take a much more serious posture when it does something to offend them or the court. Similarly, I have experienced what can, and does, happen when someone does something that a judge deems to be Contempt of Court. It is often not pretty.
                            Just last month I had a guy pizz off the judge & I was ordered to take the individual into custody. The jail tried to refuse the prisoner since there was no paperwork done at that moment.

Judge was almost more unhappy with our new jail administrator than the guy I took upstairs. There were phone calls made & I later took the guy back downstairs to the court. The elevator ride was very informative for the guy as I told him that his near future depended on him apologizing to the court & being believable.

Judge ended up sentencing him for contempt to the 4 or so hours he was in jail .

This was a divorce proceeding

Comment

Threats from militia provoke shutdown at Oregon capitol, a day after GOP lawmakers fled

Oregon’s top lawmakers will shut down the state capitol after receiving threats from militia groups, who authorities say are planning to demonstrate there in support of the 11 Republican senators who fled the state to dodge a vote on climate change.

State Senate President Peter Courtney (D) told his colleagues on Friday that Oregon State Police had informed him there was a credible threat to him, the rest of the remaining senators — all of whom are Democrats — and the building’s staff.

“It was obviously a credible threat because Sen. Courtney wouldn’t close it down for no reason,” Courtney’s spokeswoman Carol Currie told The Washington Post.

State police confirmed the danger in an emailed statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.3a3da25d39d9

Precisely what I figured might happen....

Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

-Bono

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7652 users online. 401 members and 7251 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X