Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iMarkVideo
    replied
    Thanks for one of the best threads I have read.

Being a civie and not a LEO, I usually don't debate issues unless I have had experience personally or witnessed things.

What I get from the more than 250 resposes is that it is pretty split down the middle between LEO's and CIV's posts.

I get, from the responses, He was justified but should have been a little softer. Am I off?

He still has his job. Good. I bet he will think a little deeper if this situation happens again. Maybe refrain from the comments. Not actions.

I have, shooting for the news< crossed the "POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS" tape and a few times I was told told to leave way less than more. It was all about repect. They respect me and I repect them. We ave a good relationsip. So very few had a problem with me and my camera. Some asked me to document certain evedence.

Me personally, I feel he was justified until the remarks about her father was made. If her father indeed died, I think, if he is compassonate, he would have felt bad. Death of a close loved one sucks. I broke the law when my mom called me at my business and told me mt dad was very ill and the doc says he is not going to make it. I was by normal time 30 minutes away. I got in my vette and broke every driving law to get to the hospital. (I am NOT JUSTIFIG THIS and I ws speeding but not like running people off the road). I made it 20 min. But After I got there, I held his hand, he said to me "take care of your mother... son" he pointed his finger at me and then parished. And that was it. I had less than 10 minutes with him. This was very importatnt to me as I closed the gap some people don't get to close.

Every situation is defferent. Every person is different. It's the smarts we were born with to discern the difference. But that is not easy, that is why I feel for LEO's. I have taped many crimes in action and crime scenes. LEO's go through some S**t. No doubt.

LEOs are sworn to do a lot of things. Including upholding the constitution. The constitutiion is a fine line with rights and law. Some are not clear enough to make an accurate judgement. That is he*l to discern the two in my book.

Althought, in my opinion, the US constitutuon has erroded and means nothing anymore

And I give cudos to respectable cops that have to endure this crap. I saw it as I was a chaser for a news channel. Most often the LEO and I would show up together. I was not one of those "in your face camera people" but did what I had to do, stayed out of the LEO's way until he/she was availagle to speak on camera.

A few times I was contacted by the Police Dept because on a few occasions I showed up before the police and had footage. My footage has been used in court cases in favor of the police and I am pround for that.

I have a good relationship with about 7 LEO's on the force. Good people they are.

Leave a comment:

• jerrymaccauley
    replied
    Thanks all, for the lively debate. For the most part it was civil and informative. We all handle things differently and the truth is, I have done worse and never got suspended. On the other hand, I think it would have been justified if I got bit for my actions. Of course, after all these years and the advent of dashcams, I act like I'm on candid camera all of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Fëanor
    replied
    Originally posted by alpha1906
    Why are you all even stil talking about this?
    'Cause that's the reason we come to the forums, to talk. I don't think anyone lost sleep over the issue, we just debated it here during our free time.

Leave a comment:

• alpha1906
    replied
    Why are you all even stil talking about this? Heck, you guys have been talking about this thing longer than the actual suspension. Move on

Leave a comment:

• scratched13
    replied
    Originally posted by jerrymaccauley View Post
    You're right, I don't understand police work as well as you.
    I guess so............

Leave a comment:

• scratched13
    replied
    Did we see the same video? After he yanked her out of the car and threw her across the trunk, do you think it was appropriate to to acknowledge that she was going to see her father, but now "you won't get to see your father because you're going to jail." Any justification that he was in fear of his and the publics safety was pretty much over at that point. Now it became personal. Yeah, I think he lost his temper. Not saying that he's not human, but someone needs to step up and say it wasn't handled professionally. I would even admit that I have done some of those same things. And I was wrong.
    Listen to the tape .... again. He clearly tells his partners that she drove past the hospital emerg room. He was explaining how he thought she was making up a story. Yes, he "wasn't the most professional" by seemingly going along with her "story" as he believed it. But give me a break. You have never been sarcastic with a suspect [email protected]!?!?!?!??// Especially after a chase???!?!?!??

And you really believe that being SARCASTIC warrants the suspension that he got (or you I guess SHOULD have gotten for your sarcasm)????

Leave a comment:

• jerrymaccauley
    replied
    You're right, I don't understand police work as well as you.

Leave a comment:

• Fëanor
    replied
    I believe that we are nice (as in the words of Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse) until it is time to not be nice.
    EXACTLY! After she fled, it was time to not be nice.

Leave a comment:

• jerrymaccauley
    replied
    Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
    Exactly at what point do you think he "lost his temper??????"
    Did we see the same video? After he yanked her out of the car and threw her across the trunk, do you think it was appropriate to to acknowledge that she was going to see her father, but now "you won't get to see your father because you're going to jail." Any justification that he was in fear of his and the publics safety was pretty much over at that point. Now it became personal. Yeah, I think he lost his temper. Not saying that he's not human, but someone needs to step up and say it wasn't handled professionally. I would even admit that I have done some of those same things. And I was wrong.

Leave a comment:

• scratched13
    replied
    Sure. In response to the comment that he started out professional but her actions caused him to become less so is what I was referring to. It is possible to remain professional and still make the arrest, transport and complete the paperwork. Losing your temper is losing control.
    There is no superhuman effort here. I believe that we are nice (as in the words of Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse) until it is time to not be nice. But then I believe we become nice again when we are done. That is a professional in my opinion. But I could be wrong.
    Exactly at what point do you think he "lost his temper??????"

Leave a comment:

• jerrymaccauley
    replied
    Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
    This needs a little more explaination.
    Sure. In response to the comment that he started out professional but her actions caused him to become less so is what I was referring to. It is possible to remain professional and still make the arrest, transport and complete the paperwork. Losing your temper is losing control.

There is no superhuman effort here. I believe that we are nice (as in the words of Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse) until it is time to not be nice. But then I believe we become nice again when we are done. That is a professional in my opinion. But I could be wrong.
    Last edited by jerrymaccauley; 05-22-2007, 07:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• scratched13
    replied
    Thats what separates us from them. We don't become them.
    This needs a little more explaination.

Leave a comment:

• scratched13
    replied
    And how would acting courteous and professional diminish your standing in the public eye? Not all of our contacts involve hardened criminals. Some actually involve those who we are sworn to protect. That includes hysterical women motorists. Some of this "us vs. them" thinking is what causes so much distrust.
    You missed my point, mac. I am saying that we are turning into courtesy officers ........ as in, "here is your ticket if you are willing to stop" or "stop in the name of the law ...... well, just come to the police station when you feel like turning yourself in." Police action will only involve those WILLING to submit.

Leave a comment:

• Fëanor
    replied
    Thats what separates us from them. We don't become them.
    He didn't become her. He didn't commit any crimes. He just stopped wasting time trying to have a rational, polite conversation with her, because it obviously was not making any progress.

Leave a comment:

• Consultant
    replied
    Originally posted by TprB View Post
    We do that to come home in one piece, and to continue doing this job that we love so much, and putting our needs aside so that others may live. I don't see why you say every stop is not a life or death situation, that kind of thinking can do you in. There doesn't necessarally have to be a threat with a driver or occupant inside a vehicle, even traffic flowing around the stop is dangerous. If you don't think every stop is a life or death situation, I think you need to change careers. Its that type of thinking that gets good officers killed, treat every stop the same...Treat it as professionally as possible and mmaintain a high state of alertness. Just because the driver is not a threat doesn't mean that there isn't a life or death situation. Just having a squad car on the shoulder of a road is life or death, exp. at night with all the drunks out of the bars. Even while in the squad car you should be alert... There could be somebody approaching the vehicle from behind, the driver of the vehicle in front might try to get out or flee... Etc. Law enfocement is an unpredictible job, be ready for anything and you're all set. Don't take anything for granted and don't underestimate people. The only way to avoid doing this... As it is a natural tendancy for humans, is to treat every stop the same no matter who you are dealing with.

The principle that there is a presumption of innocence in favor of the accused is the undoubted law, axiomatic and elementary, and its enforcement lies at the foundation of the administration of our criminal law.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3665 users online. 242 members and 3423 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X