300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Margaret Hood View Post
    I cannot believe the Fla deputy who did not respond appropriately to the speeding woman on the way to her father who was at the hospital after driving himself in with a diagnosed "heart attack!" What officer training school did he attend? The proper response would have been. "Follow me mam, I'll lead you in !" but of course he might have pulled up her record and saw something he was not comfortable with, however, sometimes we don't get THE REST OF THE STORY! It is the duty of a sworn officer to protect lives and use his expertise training for such situations as this? Not really sure what this deputy's problem was.
    Absolute garbage.

And, "Follow me mam, I'll lead you in !" whatever!!! If he did that, and there was a crash that severely injured or killed her, and/or father, LAWSUIT. He'd have probably breached policy and training standards, and wouldn't be provided a lawyer. So, she or her estate would own his home, and a large chunk of the department.

Originally posted by Margaret Hood View Post
    "C'mon, what's the worse that could happen?? Well, looks like it did! The seemingly uncaring deputy is on suspension, and rightly so. It's these kind of bunglings that give the good cops a bad name!! Sorry to inform you, but there is such a thing as a compassionate and very skilled and highly trained cops who excercise leadership and survival skills to meet these types of situations of emergency. Remember the public does not have the option of these highly trained skills, they act upon survival and instint and rightly so, it sometimes saves lives!! Go back to sleep and hopefully someone will be aware of his or her duty and live it out!
    Give us a break. You are either completely ignorant of the goings on of the real world, or you're here to purposely stir up the crap. Either one is going to wear out your welcome, hopefully very soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scelous View Post
      Yeah, I was thinking about mentioning that. I know that police officers have to deal with a lot of scumbags, and plenty of people will lie to officers, especially to avoid a ticket or worse. So thinking that she could've been lying is defintely understandable.

The thing for me is, she seemed suitably distraught. She still could've be lying, but couldn't the officer have said, "What's his name?" and checked the hospital to verify? That's the part that gets me. He was in a position to help someone in a difficult spot, and that's part of what seems appealing to me about choosing the LEO career.

Believe it or not but people lie to cops, and it's usually everyday for a cop on the job. And believe it or not too, but some people people are very good liars, and will never admit anything to you, all the way to jail and even in jail....

Comment

• After watching the video, I didn't see anything with the deputy's actions.

I had a situation similar to this last year, I stopped an asian female for a violation, and during the stop she suddenly takes off. I follow in pursuit for a couple miles, and she's completely ignoring my lights and sirens. She eventually stops and I take her out at gunpoint. It turns out their was a language barrier, could barely speak english, and had no idea what was going on, but yet she still somehow managed to have a valid driver's license issued by my state.

I didn't arrest her, but did fill out a DMV re-evaluation form on her.

Comment

• Here are a few "stories" for the masses that don't believe "stuff" happens during vehicle stops. As you will see, not only do we have to worry about the driver and passengers, but the other motorists as well.

Sadly, people like Ms. Hood still expect the police to be built-in lie detector/mind reader/social workers no matter how much information is out there to consume.

All one has to do to see how dangerous our job is, is watch Spike TV because all show is cop dashcam/chopper footage and the UFC.

Man who allegedly hit new york officer with car still at large

09/25/2006-

On Aug. 15, Frankfort town police conducted a routine traffic check point screening for drunk drivers on Dyke Road. At about 9:30 p.m., Utica-resident Corey A. Hines pulled up to the location in a silver sport utility vehicle. In speaking to Hines and his female passenger, police noticed a clear, plastic bag in the vehicle's center console and suspected that it contained drugs, police reported. Wh...

Washington police officer almost hit by stolen car

09/25/2006-

Federal Way, Washigton police are on the hunt for two men who tried to run an officer over with a stolen car. It happened in the 100 block of Southwest Campus Drive. Officers were responding to a possible auto theft and managed to detain one possible suspect. They then found two other suspects as they entered a running vehicle that was reported to have been "hot wired." The officers ordered the ...

North carolina officer injured in struck by incident

09/23/2006-

The injury of a Carteret County trooper at an accident scene has the N.C. Highway Patrol stressing the importance of a state law intended to protect troopers and other emergency responders working on the roadside. The four-year-old “Move Over” law requires motorists to slow down and, when possible, move over when approaching an emergency vehicle stopped on the side of the road or otherwise on the ...

Deputy struck at greenville, south carolina car wash

09/23/2006-

A Greenville County, South Carolina sheriff's deputy was taken to Greenville Memorial Hospital after he was hit at a Laurens Road car wash. The deputy was having his car washed shortly after 4 p.m. when a car struck him and another car. The injuries aren't life threatening. An employee was pulling a car — not the deputy's car — out of the car wash when the accelerator got stuck. http://greenville...

Massachusetts officer hit with stolen suv

09/21/2006-

A police officer fired three shots at a SUV in Greenwood Park yesterday morning, moments after the driver had struck him with the Chevy Trailblazer, police said.The officer, whose name was withheld by police, was struck in the left knee area, then he watched as the driver swerved around in the park several times before driving away.Police were still looking for the driver of the vehicle, which was...

Pennsylvania officer injured in struck-by incident

09/21/2006-

A North Lebanon Township police officer was injured on Tuesday September 19, 2006 when he was struck by a vehicle. Officer Duane Koons was treated at Good Samaritan Hospital and released after suffering injuries to his legs caused by a vehicle that hit him while he was investigating an incident on Weavertown Road. http://www.ldnews.com/news/ci_4361283...

North Carolina officer struck by suv

09/19/2006-

A Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer is recovering Tuesday morning after being involved in a three-car crash Monday afternoon on the John Belk Freeway. Officer T.G. Pardue, 35, pulled in behind a disabled SUV in the exit lane near College Street when a truck struck his car in the rear. Pardue and a female motorist in the SUV were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. ...

Dover, Delaware driver hits police car

09/18/2006-

A Dover woman was charged with DUI after she crashed into a police cruiser Saturday morning and fled the scene, police said. A Dover police officer was in the process of making a stop for a traffic violation along Del. 8 near Carver Road at 1:47 a.m. The officer was directing the stopped motorist to move his vehicle to a safer location off the road when his patrol car was rear-ended by an SUV. Min...

Vanderbilt University police officer hit by car

09/18/2006-

A Vanderbilt officer was hit by a car Thursday morning while riding his bicycle. The officer was riding his bike around 9:30 on 18th Avenue and Edgehill when he was hit by a driver in the campus parking lot. The officer was taken to the hospital, he is in stable condition. http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/21998.asp...

Chicago officer struck by allegedly stolen car

09/18/2006-

A police officer exiting his patrol car to question the driver of an allegedly stolen car on the Northwest Side was struck by the car Wednesday night. The car then sped off and crashed into another vehicle, police said. The officer, along with five other people, were taken to area hospitals. The officer got out of his vehicle to question the driver of the car in front of his patrol car at West Div...

Kentucky deputy escapes injury after cruiser is struck

09/18/2006-

Grant County Sheriff's Deputy Andy Reeves is lucky that he wasn't seriously injured after being struck by a vehicle while investigating an accident on Sept. 12, 2006. Reeves, who had just begun his shift at 7 a.m., was called to investigate a wreck at the 161 mile marker of northbound Interstate-75 at 7:19 a.m. According to police, Reeves put the driver of the vehicle into the back seat of his cru...

Texas struck-by of a different kind

09/18/2006-

A Lubbock teen who is suspected of drunk driving crashes into a police officer`s home. The off-duty patrolman may have missed getting hit by the vehicle by only a few feet. Officer Chad Wurm walked out of his computer room just moments before a car crashed through the wall of his duplex in the 5400 block of Marshall around 2 a.m. Saturday. Police had been chasing the Pontiac Grand Prix when the ca...

Connecticut officer struck by car; police search for driver

09/18/2006-

Police are searching for a suspect who left a Waterbury police officer seriously injured after dragging him with a car. The officer pulled the suspect over on South Main and Eagle streets in Waterbury Tuesday afternoon, according to police. A struggle took place between the driver and officer. The driver then pulled away, dragging the officer for several yards. The suspect then fled the scene. Pol...

Virginia driver charged with hit-and-run after vehicle strikes officer

09/11/2006-

A Norfolk, Virginia driver didn't take kindly to a police officer's order to hang up her cell phone and pay attention. She hit the officer with her car and drove off, police said. Erin Fox, 21, was arrested Wednesday shortly after the confrontation, which left the officer, Nancy Jean Goode, with cuts and bruises. Fox was charged with hit-and-run. This happened on September 7, 2006. http://home.h...

Indiana trooper recounts survival story

09/07/2006-

It's a survivor's story for 36-year-old Sergeant Rich Kelly, a 13-year veteran of the state police. From his hospital bed in Lafayette, a kiss from his mother provides comfort for Sergeant Rich Kelly who somehow survived a horrific crash. Trooper Kelly was inside this state police car Tuesday on the side of the road when a semi-truck slammed into his car and pushed it into another truck Trooper Ke...

South Carolina officer hit by car on college road

09/07/2006-

A hit and run on Carolina Beach Road in Wilmington on September 6 escalated into a chaotic scene on South College Road after a man tried to run down a deputy with his car. George Miller hit a car on Carolina Beach Road and then took off. No one was hurt. Miller then stopped at the B.P. Gas Station on South College Road. A Deputy spotted Miller's car and walked toward him. The deputy said that Mill...

Ohio officer hit by car during traffic stop

09/06/2006-

On September 5, 2006 an officer who noticed fictitious plates on a vehicle was hit by the car when he tried to pull the driver over. The car led officials on a chase through Independence, Valley View, Newburg Heights and Cleveland. The officer was treated and released from the hospital. http://news.yahoo.com/s/wews/20060905/lo_wews/9790478...

Woman arrested after allegedly ramming california patrol car

09/06/2006-

A motorist was arrested today for allegedly ramming a deputy's patrol car and leading him on a chase that ended when she crashed the SUV on the grounds of a private school in Calabasas, California. Fortunately no one was injured....

2 suvs crash while passing accident scene; florida trooper injured

09/04/2006-

A Florida Highway Patrol trooper suffered minor injuries on Wednesday while investigating a traffic accident in Volusia County. It happened at the interchange between Interstate 4 eastbound and Interstate 95 northbound. Two troopers were parked on the shoulder of I-95 northbound investigating the first accident when a sport utility vehicle came around a curve, hit the first patrol car and pushed i...

Florida student who rammed lake worth officer get four years

09/04/2006-

A 16-year-old student whose reckless actions triggered a shooting by an officer at Lake Worth Middle School last year will serve four years in prison for his series of crimes. Giovany Ramos, 16, pleaded guilty this morning to a variety of charges - including attempted murder - for ramming a truck into the golf cart of School District Police Officer Hans Austin and allegedly trying to hit the schoo...

Albuquerque man sentenced for killing of state police officer

09/04/2006-

An Albuquerque man who drove a pickup truck that hit and killed a state police officer five years ago has been sentenced to 20 years in prison. Twenty-three-year-old Zacharia Craig of Albuquerque was sentenced late this afternoon by state District Judge Louis McDonald. Craig pleaded guilty but mentally ill in February to second-degree murder, aggravated assault on a peace officer and other charge...

Florida police officer, 2 others injured in series of accidents

09/04/2006-

Three people, including a police officer were injured in a series of accidents involving a stolen car. Around 12:30 p.m., a police officer tried to stop a stolen Cadillac Escalade at Central Avenue and 49th Street in St. Petersburg. The stolen vehicle stopped, and moments later the driver of the vehicle backed into the police cruiser just as the unidentified police officer was getting out of his c...

California driver wanted to hit police

09/03/2006-

The driver who terrorized a swath of central San Francisco with a series of hit-and-run crashes was out to get a police officer but settled on hurting ordinary pedestrians when he couldn't find one, prosecutors said Thursday. Omeed A. Popal faces 18 counts of attempted murder for the rampage Tuesday where he deliberately struck and injured pedestrians with his SUV...

Central Florida trooper struck by car on i-4

09/03/2006-

A Florida Highway Patrol trooper in Volusia County, Fla., was struck and injured by a man driving a car on Interstate 4. The trooper was helping a motorist near on I-4 near the on-ramp for Interstate 95 early Wednesday. The trooper suffered minor injuries and was being treated at Halifax Medical Center.

Florida struck while helping children cross street

09/03/2006-

An Orlando police officer was injured Monday when he was struck by a motorcycle while helping a group of students cross a street. Officer Robert Baxter was at Curry Ford Road and Conway when he was hit by a man on a stolen motorcycle. Investigators are looking for the bike driver who fled the scene after the accident.

Boston officer dragged by truck

09/03/2006-

Three people, including a Boston Police officer, were rushed to hospitals earlier Monday following a chase in Jamaica Plain. A yellow station wagon was struck at the intersection of Centre Street and Creighton in Jamaica Plain. An alleged car thief was driving a stolen late-model pickup truck. The truck then smashed into the brick and glass entryway of a local pizza parlor. W...

California deputy hit by a fleeing bank robber in Malibu

09/03/2006-

A sheriff's deputy was seriously injured today when a fleeing bank robbery suspect intentionally rammed the officer's motorcycle in Malibu. The deputy, whose name was withheld, was airlifted to UCLA Medical Center. The crash occurred around 11:20 a.m. in the 20000 block of Pacific Coast Highway. http://abclocal.go.com...

Comment

• To add to your "routine call" list. This one happened at just at 1110 on Tuesday May 10, 2005. RIP David, you haven't been forgotten.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17754
            R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
            I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

• Originally posted by kingsman View Post
              anyone want to compare resumes?
              I want to know where you worked as an ex LEO. Did you install Direct TV too?
              Last edited by tony.o; 05-07-2007, 12:15 AM.
              The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

I cannot believe the Fla deputy who did not respond appropriately to the speeding woman on the way to her father who was at the hospital after driving himself in with a diagnosed "heart attack!" What officer training school did he attend? The proper response would have been. "Follow me mam, I'll lead you in !" but of course he might have pulled up her record and saw something he was not comfortable with, however, sometimes we don't get THE REST OF THE STORY! It is the duty of a sworn officer to protect lives and use his expertise training for such situations as this? Not really sure what this deputy's problem was.
                Man, you know this thing is going down hill when some old lady feels confident enough here to critique a traffic stop and arrest
                The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post
                  Seriously, you might want to seek professional help. It nice how you take it upon yourself to speak for more than just yourself. I find that funny to say the least.

I could be wrong, but I dont think I have ever tried to defend anyone on anytype of suspension or any other union matter in this forum and dont plan on starting. I have never attmpted to defend any of the suspension I have take in this public forum. I have used them as a punch line. When somebody looses a weeks pay over an incident I feel for them and their family, but I dont expect that helps. I certainly dont take it to heart, cops get suspended every day. I take the Sheriff's side on this until I am proven wrong, as of now I have read nothing but drivel and anti "The Man" hate and retoric. You base your whole theory on one 2 minute dash cam video, I base my arguments on the Sheriff's suspension and the fact that he probably had the Deputies file opened infornt of him for the duration of his decision making process. I also know that the Sheriff doesnt usually have the authority to drop any charges brought by one of his deputies, it the prosecutor who does that, so maybe they looked at the case as well and thought there wasnt enough. Just a bit of deductive reasoning, I could be wrong.

You'll "bust" me on it. Whats that a 3rd grade threat. very scary

Lastly, I am part of no "Political Machine" but you are a tool. Thats funny.

The name is now spelled wrong but its the same old spin. You use this deps misfortune and bad timing to further your political bull trash. Then you sit back and ask why people wont take responsibility for their own actions. It really is confusing and it might be time to up the dose.
                  Oooohhhhh! You got me on the "tool" name calling. Who is ths 3rd grader?

Yeah, politics had nothing to do with e sheriff's or the prosecutors decision.
                  Space for rent .........

Comment

While there are officers here that are on both sides of this issue, maybe you should stick to "writing, gardening,swimming." Officers don't say "Follow me mam, I'll lead you in !" Most are even forbidden to by policy. You see, our fellow humans have a tendency to sue us when we try to help in ways that you are suggesting. If there was an accident - no matter that it's primary cause would be the motorist,car defect or natural disaster, the fact that the officer was "escorting them with their patrol vehicle" would be enough for them to win a whole bunch of money.

Oh ....... and although you might not believe that humans are capable of it, they sometime lie to the police.
                    Space for rent .........

Comment

"C'mon, what's the worse that could happen?? Well, looks like it did! The seemingly uncaring deputy is on suspension, and rightly so. It's these kind of bunglings that give the good cops a bad name!! Sorry to inform you, but there is such a thing as a compassionate and very skilled and highly trained cops who excercise leadership and survival skills to meet these types of situations of emergency. Remember the public does not have the option of these highly trained skills, they act upon survival and instint and rightly so, it sometimes saves lives!! Go back to sleep and hopefully someone will be aware of his or her duty and live it out!
                      Yeah, and she was so caring that she put the public AND that officer in jeopardy.

Soccer mom mentality.

Yes, the public (especially the sheltered ones) do not have the benefit of police training and experience to view these things without the emotion.
                      Space for rent .........

Comment

• Originally posted by tony.o View Post
                        Man, you know this thing is going down hill when some old lady feels confident enough here to critique a traffic stop and arrest
                        That is how we are being reviewed by citizen boards. Ridiculous. Soccer moms are in charge!
                        Space for rent .........

Comment

• Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
                          Oooohhhhh! You got me on the "tool" name calling. Who is ths 3rd grader?

Yeah, politics had nothing to do with e sheriff's or the prosecutors decision.

Didnt say politics had nothing to do with it. Its not a Conspiricy though.
                          It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Scelous View Post
                            Yeah, I was thinking about mentioning that. I know that police officers have to deal with a lot of scumbags, and plenty of people will lie to officers, especially to avoid a ticket or worse. So thinking that she could've been lying is defintely understandable.

The thing for me is, she seemed suitably distraught. She still could've be lying, but couldn't the officer have said, "What's his name?" and checked the hospital to verify? That's the part that gets me. He was in a position to help someone in a difficult spot, and that's part of what seems appealing to me about choosing the LEO career.
                            Asking his name and getting dispatch to call the hospital would have taken just as long as writing the ticket, if not longer. She would have probably taken off instead of waiting for that to happen too. Besides, she already said that she wasn't sure if he was there. The hospitals around here will rarely tell us anything about a patient anyways and if they do, it takes forever.

One thing that everyone needs to remember is that this woman was only in this situation because SHE made a series of bad choices. SHE had several opportunities to prevent it. First, SHE could have driven the speed limit. Second, SHE could have sat there and waited for her ticket instead of driving off. Third, SHE could have complied with the officer after she stopped the second time. I know, everyone will say that she was distressed and could not think rationally, but, SHE made the decision to get behind the wheel in that condition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caesar2845 View Post
                              I know this is a pro-police site, and we all have the "fortress mentality" because everyone is against us...

...But we can also have to use common sense. If you're in the parking lot of a hospital it's not unreasonable to say "ok, i'll follow you the 200 yards to the ER, if you're lying to me or you run from me, you'll regret it".

My mother passed away 1 month ago, she was taken to the hospital that my wife works at.
                              I was stopped a mile from the hospital. I had the benifit of a badge, but before I could get my wallet out the officer (a female) told me about as much as I wrote above. When she found out I was a cop she just told me to go on and be careful. This was reasonable, and I wouldn't have blamed her for calling (or having dispatch call) to varify my story, or following me in (she didn't, of course again, I have the benifit of a badge).

When your parent or other loved one is in mortal danger, you just don't always think straight.

YES, people lie to us all the time. If we get to the point where we're so cynical that we believe everyone is lying, we should step back a bit from what were doing. I had a lady tell me she was in labor during a traffic stop once back when i worked for a little town. She wasn't, but that doesn't mean I dismiss all such claims, because I knew that the one time I was wrong and the person is telling the truth, I'm done for. Judge each person and action for for themselves, not what others do.

Bottom line is the deputy's actions were technically correct, but they still make all of us look bad, and we don't need anymore of that.

I pray he keeps his job and learns from this (we all make mistakes), but if they end up booting him, he has himself to blame.
                              I have to concur. Saw the video. If she was miles away from the hospital then too bad, so sad. But she was in the hospital parking lot! This in and of itself lent credence to her "excuse".

Once he had her OL and Registration, The Deputy could have followed her to the ER to confirm her story. What was it? 100-200 yards away? 30 whole seconds extra time. The Deputy could then opt to cite her or not. Yes people lie. Yes people will do just about anything to get out of a ticket. But to play EVERY situation strickly by the book doesn't always pay off. Discretion is one of the most valuable tools of the trade. Being a little (just a little) empathetic to someone like this (not what one would describe as a criminal type; least not by initial appearance), on occassion won't hinder the job. Given her story, once confirmed, a judge would've probably reduced and/or dismissed the citation anyway! Now look what this Deputy and the department have to go through. We don't have to be pushovers but we don't have to be robots either.
                              sigpic
                              Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                              And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

• Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
                                I have to concur. Saw the video. If she was miles away from the hospital then too bad, so sad. But she was in the hospital parking lot! This in and of itself lent credence to her "excuse".

Once he had her OL and Registration, The Deputy could have followed her to the ER to confirm her story. What was it? 100-200 yards away? 30 whole seconds extra time. The Deputy could then opt to cite her or not. Yes people lie. Yes people will do just about anything to get out of a ticket. But to play EVERY situation strickly by the book doesn't always pay off. Discretion is one of the most valuable tools of the trade. Being a little (just a little) empathetic to someone like this (not what one would describe as a criminal type; least not by initial appearance), on occassion won't hinder the job. Given her story, once confirmed, a judge would've probably reduced and/or dismissed the citation anyway! Now look what this Deputy and the department have to go through. We don't have to be pushovers but we don't have to be robots either.
                                Oh my God, the insanity of it. thats totally insane, what are you thinking about, insane I say. Wait thats not insanity its common sense. Shame on you for having common sense and actually using it. Protect and Serve, is it really an out dated process or do we just not want to do it anymore?

Not all traffic Stops have to end up being Felony stops. We just need to be aware that they all could be and we have to be smart enough to know the difference.
                                It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4623 users online. 293 members and 4330 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X