300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hitman2 View Post
    I've been pulled over while taking my very sick daughter to the hospital. I only asked that he either please write the ticket . I also understand when I got pulled over that I would easily take the ticket. He let me go but actually followed me to the hospital. In fact he helped me into the hospital. But despite that I respected the law and the officer. He knew as soon as he looked at her that I wasn't bull****ting him. I respect all officers. .

You respected the law? but you got stopped for breaking the law!!
    I`d rather have one hundred enemies than one backstabbing friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
      2 things. One, he thought she was lying - he said that she drove right past the ER after the last stop to his buds.

So, with your line of thinking, if she was DUI as well, you would have cut her a break since she didn't wreck out. Why would DUI matter at all as long as noone was hurt? Logic please?

Comment

• My logic is this... one cannot read anything into the situation by adding "what ifs". The video is what it is. Did she deserve a citation ABSOLUTELY! Could the Deputy have handled it better ABSOLUTELY! A little empathy oin his part would have allowed him to prevent the short pursuit through the parking lot and still enabled him to enforce the law.

This is an example of the exchange :

" I know I was speeding Officer but my father is here in the Hospital and I need to check on him."

I am sorry to hear that ma'm. Please give me your license, registration and proof of insurance, park your car here and give me the keys. I will drive you up to the ER entrance and while you check on your father I'll complete my citation. If your story checks out I will issue you the cirtation and return your documents and keys to you and you will be free to tajke care of your father.

This would take less time than the resulting arrest and associated paperwork. The woman could accomplishe her goals, doesn't go to jail, justice is served, and the Officer, his agency,and the Law Enforcement profession doesn't get black eye.
        Last edited by Capt. one; 05-09-2007, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
          As I said before, she was so emotionally distressed that she was guilty of reckless driving and she was fleeing from the police. I am not a cop, but I'm pretty sure that you guys are not supposed to let this kind of person continue driving. Anywhere.

Once again, it was a little more serious than a speeding ticket. She was obviously impaired. No, not by alcohol. But it was bad enough she was guilty of reckless driving (not mere speeding).

NO. That is why we have 911, and ambulances with trained drivers, flashing lights, and sirens. Only those types of vehicles and drivers are legally allowed to speed for a medical emergency. That's for a reason. Besides, "medical emergency" would imply a medical emergency for someone in the car who is being rushed to the hospital. Going to visit someone in the hospital is not an emergency.

Just because you don't crash doesn't mean it is OK to drive recklessly.

There is no need for extra cops after the only criminal is already in custody.

Cops don't treat everyone like a criminal, they treat people who break the law like criminals. She broke the law, so she got treated like a criminal. Cause and effect.

Cause and effect is just what happened here. The Deputy lacked any empathy for the womans situation and as a result she acted in a manner that she likely would not have otherwise. No pursuit , no arrest. She deserved a citation for speed and if you read my post below you will see how this could have been accomplished. In my 20+ year Law Enforcement career I have made mistakes of this nature and ended up with egg on my face. I have learned from my experience. Each person, each situation is different and should be treated as such. The facts are what they are, the car stop was at the entrance to a hospital and it would not have taken much for this Deputy to accomodate the woman and still issue the citation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. one View Post
            My logic is this... one cannot read anything into the situation by adding "what ifs". The video is what it is. Did she deserve a citation ABSOLUTELY! Could the Deputy have handled it better ABSOLUTELY! A little empathy oin his part would have allowed him to prevent the short pursuit through the parking lot and still enabled him to enforce the law.

This is an example of the exchange :

" I know I was speeding Officer but my father is here in the Hospital and I need to check on him."

I am sorry to hear that ma'm. Please give me your license, registration and proof of insurance, park your car here and give me the keys. I will drive you up to the ER entrance and while you check on your father I'll complete my citation. If your story checks out I will issue you the cirtation and return your documents and keys to you and you will be free to tajke care of your father.

This would take less time than the resulting arrest and associated paperwork. The woman could accomplishe her goals, doesn't go to jail, justice is served, and the Officer, his agency,and the Law Enforcement profession doesn't get black eye.
            Okay, so that is what YOU would say. There are many other ways that is COULD have been handled, but you have NO IDEA whether or not she STILL would have run.

Oh, and by the way, what gives you the right to impound property? You can detain for a traffic offense - sure. But taking property from someone who is not going to jail? Watch out for that. DL, insurrance, registration - fine. I guess that you can make up stuff as you go. Oh, also in your wisdom, why would you EVEN consider her a flight risk? Kind of easy to ask for keys AFTER watching the video. You have no idea really if you (he) could have done ANYTHING to prevent the pursuit - other than no stop her in the first place.
            Space for rent .........

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. one View Post
              Cause and effect is just what happened here. The Deputy lacked any empathy for the womans situation and as a result she acted in a manner that she likely would not have otherwise. No pursuit , no arrest. She deserved a citation for speed and if you read my post below you will see how this could have been accomplished. In my 20+ year Law Enforcement career I have made mistakes of this nature and ended up with egg on my face. I have learned from my experience. Each person, each situation is different and should be treated as such. The facts are what they are, the car stop was at the entrance to a hospital and it would not have taken much for this Deputy to accomodate the woman and still issue the citation.
              Cause and effect? Yeah, I actually did hear the deputy tell her to drive off ......

BECAUSE she wanted to do what she wanted to do, she ran from the police ...... in EFFECT ..... CAUSING the pursuit.
              Space for rent .........

Comment

Okay, so that is what YOU would say. There are many other ways that is COULD have been handled, but you have NO IDEA whether or not she STILL would have run.

Oh, and by the way, what gives you the right to impound property? You can detain for a traffic offense - sure. But taking property from someone who is not going to jail? Watch out for that. DL, insurrance, registration - fine. I guess that you can make up stuff as you go. Oh, also in your wisdom, why would you EVEN consider her a flight risk? Kind of easy to ask for keys AFTER watching the video. You have no idea really if you (he) could have done ANYTHING to prevent the pursuit - other than no stop her in the first place.
                The stop was appropriate. If she would have run after being treated as I described in the initial contact then she would have been treated as she was in the video. Essentially, I attempted to do my part to get her where she needed to be as quickly and safely as possible and if that was not what she was willing to do then she made that decision. Not acknowledging her situation was not the way to handle the initial contact.

As to seizing property, in Ohio the OL and registration belong to the State of Ohio. The keys are taken to avoid a violator or any passengers from taking off in the vehicle and is done routinely. In my jurisdiction out of state drivers are required to post bond or pay a waiver on moving violations and must be brought in to facilitate that. I either follow them to the station or take them to the station while controlling the keys. I have actually used this incident at roll call training and all Officers agreed that the initial contact was lacking. I have no comment on how the Deputy handled the short pursuit.

Comment

Cause and effect? Yeah, I actually did hear the deputy tell her to drive off ......

BECAUSE she wanted to do what she wanted to do, she ran from the police ...... in EFFECT ..... CAUSING the pursuit.

In my opinion, the Deputy's poor initial contact caused the reaction in the driver. ( I note your sarcasm) I may be wrong, you may not agree, but someone at his agency and in the Prosecutor's Office must have felt the same way. Had this happened anywhere but the entrance to the hospital I may not feel the same.

Comment

• What a crock! That officer was doing his job and then some liberal says he was wrong. What a crock!

Comment

• Originally posted by UPNYPO View Post
                      What a crock! That officer was doing his job and then some liberal says he was wrong. What a crock!
                      Why does it have to be a liberal? How do you know it was a liberal? And do you have suc animosity agaionst liberal? Arent you a public servant? Does that mean you only serve the public you agree with? Why are you a police officer if you have animosities against people that dont share your ideology? Shouldnt you be neutral? Wow.

I am a soldier in the U.S. Army. I am neither a liberal nor conservative. I serve all people equally.

Comment

• Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
                        Why does it have to be a liberal? How do you know it was a liberal? And do you have suc animosity agaionst liberal? Arent you a public servant? Does that mean you only serve the public you agree with? Why are you a police officer if you have animosities against people that dont share your ideology? Shouldnt you be neutral? Wow.

I am a soldier in the U.S. Army. I am neither a liberal nor conservative. I serve all people equally.
                        He doesnt know, but its easier to blame a "liberal" than it is to take responsibility of ones own actions. Thats the crock.
                        It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

• It is liberal mentalities that make things like this possible (suspension). EVEN if the sheriff is a conservative, his actions are being dictated by the (liberal) media. Bottom line is this situation is being looked at by a touchy feely crowd and acted on accordingly.
                          Space for rent .........

Comment

It is liberal mentalities that make things like this possible (suspension). EVEN if the sheriff is a conservative, his actions are being dictated by the (liberal) media. Bottom line is this situation is being looked at by a touchy feely crowd and acted on accordingly.
                            That whole "liberal conservative" debate. You heard that somewher edidnt you? So the touchy feely thing is liberal and its bad huh? wow. So we should not be compassionate officers? The law is the law dang it. So, when you pull over a fellow officer who was speeding ehile off duty, do you "enforce" the law or are you touchy feely because he is a fellow law officer? Just curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
                              That whole "liberal conservative" debate. You heard that somewher edidnt you? So the touchy feely thing is liberal and its bad huh? wow. So we should not be compassionate officers? The law is the law dang it. So, when you pull over a fellow officer who was speeding ehile off duty, do you "enforce" the law or are you touchy feely because he is a fellow law officer? Just curious.
                              Actually, it is liberal. "Back in the day" when things were more right than they are now, an "@ss whoopin" was seen as a necessity and was EXPECTED by even the BG's. Now, there is all kinds of OUTRAGE!!!!! angainst this. Why? Because of liberal groups like: the media, the ACLU, minority groups (when the "victim" is minority), etc. Now, don't get me wrong ..... I don't think she needed a "beat down." But to say that what the officer did was "too agressive??????" Come on, that is a little left of center. Too "touchy feely."

Listen, I have compassion as much as the next guy (actually, I have been told that I am too easy bought by excuses). But SHE RAN when she didn't get her way. Okay, so YOU believe that she had a valid reason to run. Okay, that is you.
                              Space for rent .........

Comment

• I have to agree with Scratched..

You guys are talking about the cop causing the problem with his initial stop. So, that excuses her from having to obey the law. Since when did someone's "possible" rudeness, or a cop actually doing their job make it ok for someone to commit an offence?

And as far as, "liberals", most police officers have a problem with "liberals" and their belief in lack of personal accountability.

She ultimately screwed up and caused a pursuit, and she was arrested. That's how it goes, and those that are arguing against that, or are playing armchair quarterback are really beginning to concern me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2420 users online. 114 members and 2306 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X