300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial arts for law enforcement...

I know officers get defensive tactics training, but my own Judo instructors at my college(both are correctional officers) mentioned that there are departments where that can be lacking due to funding, and its something that seems important for resisting suspects. I train Muay Thai and of course Judo both which seem good for close quarters encounters. I also have taken up Arnis as a supplement to that, though I do have some skepticism of some of the techniques.

Thoguhts, what arts would you say are best for LEO's to train(not a LEO myself, currently a student)

Do a search. It’s been discussed many times.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Dobokdude
      Dobokdude commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured, but thanks.

• CCCSD
      CCCSD commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s a good question, just been done to death...

Ground fighting, work on that, on top of the rest you are already doing.

Comment

• Dobokdude
      Dobokdude commented
      Editing a comment
      Judo covers a good amount of groundwork.

• Kraut0783
      Kraut0783 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, good then....seems like we always end up on the ground.

I think that we tend to choose the hands on tactics way too much, we have great toys on our belts that allow us to avoid injury and go home to our families safely. This should be our number one aim, every shift...be safe.

Judo is great, but a Taser is a better safer option in my opinion.

Comment

• Dobokdude
      Dobokdude commented
      Editing a comment
      Very true. But then there's when suspects want to be hands on and therefore you must do the sane. Though as a pizza guy, pepper spray and me personal alarm are my go-to deterrents before martial arts.

Since tasers don’t work very well, and this new crop of cops hates hands on and relies way too much on gadgets, being able to ground fight is key.

Comment

The pig-pile works.

Comment

Practice your verbal skills, doing what you can without tools, then use the tools you have, while following the law, and policy, professionally, all the while acting with integrity, so that hopefully you make it to your pension, or at least a real job.
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
          The pig-pile works.
          Not video friendly. More complaints.

Comment

They taught us that one big punch looks a lot more defensible on video, than a bunch of little punches.

Comment

The Taser seems to reduce the amount of bloodshed on the offender's part, and thus a lot less time that I have to spend babysitting them in the E.R. before I even get to start typing, so I prefer to use the Taser when I can.

But it is important to not use the Taser as an excuse for not being able to solve problems the old-fashioned way, through the traditional time-tested Pentecostal method of healing through the laying on of hands.

Comment

• Tweezyman
                Tweezyman commented
                Editing a comment
                But it is important to not use the Taser as an excuse for not being able to solve problems the old-fashioned way, through the traditional time-tested Pentecostal method of healing through the laying on of hands.
                I am going to have to save this! Just about had me laughing out of my chair.

Ground fighting is important, as it seems that all fights go to the ground immediately, but I don't think that you necessarily need to be a black belt in any particular martial art(s). Just a few simple and common-sense counters to common MMA-type ground fighting attacks, the muscle strength to employ them, the cardiovascular conditioning to employ them long enough to finish the fight, and the mental toughness to win.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                Practice your verbal skills, doing what you can without tools, then use the tools you have, while following the law, and policy, professionally, all the while acting with integrity, so that hopefully you make it to your pension, or at least a real job.
                Thanks, they actually have something called ''verbal judo'' believe it or not. They have books on it I want to look into.

Comment

Ground fighting is important, as it seems that all fights go to the ground immediately, but I don't think that you necessarily need to be a black belt in any particular martial art(s). Just a few simple and common-sense counters to common MMA-type ground fighting attacks, the muscle strength to employ them, the cardiovascular conditioning to employ them long enough to finish the fight, and the mental toughness to win.
                  Couldn't agree more. I'm on my way to my Judo green belt. But you are right in that you don't need a black belt(frankly martial arts may be better without belts aside from holding the gi together). Good thing about the combat sport styles is that the learning curve is faster due to the inherent focus on drilling and sparring, though some traditional schools do alright. Side note, but what style(s) do you practice(if you do)?

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    Since tasers don’t work very well, and this new crop of cops hates hands on and relies way too much on gadgets, being able to ground fight is key.
                    Is there actually any official statistics on their effectiveness?

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

Originally posted by Dobokdude View Post

Is there actually any official statistics on their effectiveness?
                      Not so much stats, but you have to have to correct range from CEW to client, concerns about client's clothing, and / or failure of both probes to hit and stick. It is just one more tool.
                      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                      "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6939 users online. 244 members and 6695 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X