300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHP Way too Underpaid?

I am already in the process of applying for the FHP. As an applicant my PAT is next week. My question is are they ever going to get a raise? I mean it’s a high risk job and your back up isn’t going to be around for another mile if your gun downed.

Originally posted by Risingstarl96a1 View Post
    I am already in the process of applying for the FHP. As an applicant my PAT is next week. My question is are they ever going to get a raise? I mean it’s a high risk job and your back up isn’t going to be around for another mile if your gun downed.
    Law enforcement all over the country is underpaid for what they have to do.

There are a lot of places where that backup is a whole lot farther than a mile away

I you are that worried about those facts.....................you probably should drop out of the process now
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Law enforcement all over the country is underpaid for what they have to do.

There are a lot of places where that backup is a whole lot farther than a mile away

I you are that worried about those facts.....................you probably should drop out of the process now
      I don’t quit too easily. I already gone through enough, put a lot of time and effort into the dedicating to becoming a Trooper. The only way out is if they Dropped me. I only asked, because most of the local cops down here are paid well and I did tried applying for them. I got no response, until FHP responded back. So here I am in the process.

Comment

I don’t quit too easily. I already gone through enough, put a lot of time and effort into the dedicating to becoming a Trooper. The only way out is if they Dropped me. I only asked, because most of the local cops down here are paid well and I did tried applying for them. I got no response, until FHP responded back. So here I am in the process.
        Then don't bitch about the job
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

From what I understand, FHP is one of the few departments in Florida that will actually send recruits to the academy. I'd say go for it; the pay may suck at first, but you will get raises. Also, if after a few years you don't like working for FHP, go to another department. You'll be a much more attractive prospect by that time.
          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
          -Chris Rock

Comment

This is an old article, but you get the point. Lowest paid state highway patrol/state police in the country, and one of the lowest paid agencies in Florida.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...155349949.html
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

What are your 5 counties you listed to go to? If you work Orlando or Miami - crash to crash to crash to crash. Some counties are better than others in a big way. Marion - 1 trooper - crash to crash to crash to crash. The sumter, hernando troop is pretty good. Alachua troop has been told to pretty much to stay on 75.

Just what ive been told be troopers and sgts in these areas

Comment

If you havent done the pat your pretty early in the process, have fun with their Poly, BI, and Psych. Big Hurdles. Their poly is a bear and they have high standard for non-select and DQ criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  This is an old article, but you get the point. Lowest paid state highway patrol/state police in the country, and one of the lowest paid agencies in Florida.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...155349949.html
                  $33,977 a year? Holy crap- our rookies make more than three times that, their first year on the road.

Comment

No offense but..... if you applied for several other agencies and NO ONE replied to you except for the lowest paid in the state , that could be a sign.
                    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

$33,977 a year? Holy crap- our rookies make more than three times that, their first year on the road.
                      Yeah their pay is trash. From the outside looking in, it seems like it could be a great agency to work for: dept provides all equipment , a car & uniforms are nice but that pay is terrible.
                      "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

That salary is old. The salary has jumped. Statewide is 40,600$. Broward, Palm Beach, Miami-Dade counties make 45,600$ Monroe County makes 48,600$ And Collier, Duval, Escambia, Hillsborough, Marion, Lee, Orange, Pasco and Pinellas Counties 45,600$.... plus there is endless overtime and details to make money... I think you have 16 hours a month you can just go out and work on your days off at time and half. State of the art equipment.. it’s not a bad gig. Plus endless freedom and you’re not stuck to a zone or a county. And if you get put into a county in the panhandle and decide you want to move to south Florida, it’s just email and paperwork (as long as there’s openings)

a lot of people down play FHP.

Comment

Take this for what it's work but I did 10 years WA DOC and 6 for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. That experience got me in the door with Department of Homeland Security in a position that goes automatically to GS12 after three years. Plus I get something called AUO with is up to an additional 25% on top of my salary so I'll be making about 105,000.

Don't look at what you make starting out, think of the bigger picture of what this job can get you in the future. When I started DOC eons ago I never knew I would end up where I am today and glad I made the choices I did.

Comment

FHP currently starts at 40,696 in most areas of the state. In certain counties, starting pay is 45,696. FHP has historically been a pretty low paying agency but it's gotten much better over the last couple years.

On paper, lots of agencies in Florida might make more, but when you start doing the math the take home pay at FHP ends up being significantly more. We've had an increase in the number of deputies and city officers that have left their departments and began a career with the highway patrol. They took a pay cut but ended up making more. As an example, I work with one guy that left a rather large department in central Florida. They didn't have take home cars so he had to pay for the gas for the commute, plus the time. Also, his family health insurance was pushing 800 dollars a month. FHP insurance for a family is 180. So just between the gas money and the insurance costs, he's bringing home a lot more now. Plus his other agency didn't pay overtime.

FHP pays overtime unlike many other departments (at least in the areas of the state I have worked in). We pay overtime for court and for late calls. We also have a program called SOAR that allows a trooper to work an extra 12 hours a week if they choose. There are other overtime programs available but SOAR is the main one.

In addition to regular salary and overtime, a clothing allowance of 1300 is given to each sworn member. It's paid out in three checks per year. The trooper gets two payments of 250 and another payment of 800. After a couple years, troopers are eligible to join specialty units like Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, K9, etc. Most specialty units pay an extra 2000 dollars a year and they are "stackable". In other words, if a trooper becomes a Drug Recognition Expert, and is a member of the Quick Response Force (responds to civil unrest and natural disasters) then that trooper would make an extra 4000 a year.

FHP has also changed the academy requirements recently. Certified law enforcement officers with two or more years of experience can now attend a short four week academy.

Comment

$33K, $45K, what's the difference- that's still slave labor.

How the hell do they keep anyone employed there? It would be like taking candy from a baby, for other agencies to cherry-pick from amongst the FHP's ranks. $20,000 signing bonuses, $100K+ for your first year, what sane person would say no to that?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9731 users online. 456 members and 9275 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X