300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the difference between Police and State Troopers

Please forgive my ignorance, my only intel comes from tv - Super Troopers didnt have much educational use.

Please explain

Depends on the state actually. In my state, MO, Troopers handle primarily only the highways and the traffic crashes / problems on them. In the rural areas they handle more conventional LE jobs as local cops are fewer and further between. In some states they are actually State Police and deal more with the normal police duties of domestics, stealings, and other crimes of the non traffic sort.
    Toad

Comment

A police officer works for a local municipality or county with limited jurisdiction to that city or county.

A state trooper works for the state. He is sometimes called a state police officer, state trooper, highway patrol officer or, as in Califirnia, a Traffic Officer. In all cases he has staewide jurisdiction for all criminal and traffic law.
      The All New
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
        A police officer works for a local municipality or county with limited jurisdiction to that city or county.

A state trooper works for the state. He is sometimes called a state police officer, state trooper, highway patrol officer or, as in Califirnia, a Traffic Officer. In all cases he has staewide jurisdiction for all criminal and traffic law.

In California all sworn peace officers have state jurisdiction, and the CHP hasn't been classified as "traffic officer" for many years.
        Retired

Comment

State troopers are all highway.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

One thinks they are gods
            live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

What the difference between Police and State Troopers?
              about $10 dollars an hour
              Between my dept. and the troops anyway.
              My brothers a troop so I hope they can get what they can. lol
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

In Delaware, Delaware State Police have full jurisdiction anywhere in the state. In New Castle County, which has their own department, DSP handles schools, business complexes and shopping centers, highways, and a few residential areas that happen to be on Sate roads. The County Police handle all residental developments. Excepting, of course, the incorporated cities which have their own departments....they handle everything inside of it and DSP and NCCPD assist if needed. Down south, in Kent and Sussex counties, DSP handles everything that isn't within an incorporated city. There are Sheriff's departments in all three counties, but the officers are not considered "police officers" (as far as I'm aware, I may be wrong on this).

As for the naming difference...just convention, I think. Most state police departments originated as highway patrol, and the "trooper" name stuck around.

Shawn's "hat rule" doesn't work here, as numerous departments have campaign or stetson hats, while others have a more "traditional police" style hat, like NYPD's.

In NJ, the State Police is divided in to a few troops. Troop A, B, and C (one for each third of the state) completely handle areas where there is no local police coverage. Troops D and E handle the highway patrol of the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway respectively.
                -Mike
                The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

One has powdered sugar from donuts on the front of their uniform, the other has crossiant crumbs and jelly.

I have bear claw crumbs.

Our State Police Troopers concentrate on speeding and DWI. They have other divisions that work gaming, narcotics, auto theft, fraud, etc... They don't normally respond to callouts for domestic disturbances , barking dog complaints, etc... They don't normally take an initial complaint for a burglary, theft, murder, etc...

The city police do all of the above.

Our various Sheriff's Deputies do all of the above except that some don't run radar because the local sheriff doesn't want his deputies to make the voters angry.

Comment

State police have bigger guns

We do everything and anything includig the barking dogs and domestics...

Comment

The original state police in Pennsylvania patrolled rural areas of the state on horseback and were organized in Troops along the lines of the organzational structure of the American cavalry. Originally, rank structure in the PA State Police followed the US Army's with the front line officers designated as Privates. The public and the press of the day referred to the officers as Troopers because that was the traditional way to refer to cavalry soldiers. In our traditional oath of office we refer to ourselves as "Soldiers of the Law".
                      When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                        State troopers are all highway.
                        Not quite. In some areas, they are the only police around.

:100th post!:

Comment

Originally posted by drock View Post
                          Not quite. In some areas, they are the only police around.

:100th post!:
                          His post was just making reference to Super Troopers.

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep View Post
                            What the difference between Police and State Troopers?
                            about $10 dollars an hour
                            Between my dept. and the troops anyway.
                            My brothers a troop so I hope they can get what they can. lol
                            That used to be the case here too, but now the WHP is top $$$ dog.
                            The All New
                            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueandBlue
                              to add on to Toad's post: the MO gov is considering bumping the troopers up to full state police powers. They mostly do that now in rural areas but lack the state definition for "police". My LAPD buddy still calls him a flare dropper, tho.

oh yeah.....the difference between troops and local? That darn Sam Browne....
                              lol "flaredropper", I'm gonna have to use that one.
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6226 users online. 314 members and 5912 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X