300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicuspid Valve disqualifier?

Hi, I've been a Leo a couple years, the agency I work for when they performed my physical did not have issue with my heart.

A few years ago I had a doctor clear me saying I could do anything physical, just maybe when I'm 70-90 I might need a valve replacement.

Would other departments, or in my interest, the federal government DQ me for simply having bicuspid Valve, even tho it will never be a problem?

Edit: I lift weights and run, so I have no physical restrictions
    Last edited by OFCJ1993; 04-30-2019, 03:36 PM.

There are two issues here:

First, with respect to your current employment - Because you are already employed, under the Americans With Disabilities Act, your current employer can't raise this matter until such time as your condition is such that it prevents you from performing the duties of your position. Under the circumstamces, that does not seem to be a problem.

The rules for prospective employers are a little different. They can medically disqualify an applicant who has a medical condition that may potentially interfere with their ability to perform the duties of the job, or pose a potential risk of exacerbation or reinjury on the job, needlessly costing the employer in money paid to workers compensation, disability retirement anmd death benefits.

Go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...kmark#valvular and read the section on Valvular issues. While it is the California standard, the medical principles supporting it do no stop at the state border and I suspect you will find other state and federal agencies follow similar standards. If you can decipher all the medical jargon, it may provide what you are looking for.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      There are two issues here:

First, with respect to your current employment - Because you are already employed, under the Americans With Disabilities Act, your current employer can't raise this matter until such time as your condition is such that it prevents you from performing the duties of your position. Under the circumstamces, that does not seem to be a problem.

The rules for prospective employers are a little different. They can medically disqualify an applicant who has a medical condition that may potentially interfere with their ability to perform the duties of the job, or pose a potential risk of exacerbation or reinjury on the job, needlessly costing the employer in money paid to workers compensation, disability retirement anmd death benefits.

Go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...kmark#valvular and read the section on Valvular issues. While it is the California standard, the medical principles supporting it do no stop at the state border and I suspect you will find other state and federal agencies follow similar standards. If you can decipher all the medical jargon, it may provide what you are looking for.
      Thank you for the link, it seemed to say if I can do a stress test and am not symptomatic, It would not be a issue. I looked up what the army policy is, basically same thing. I guess I wanted to check, cause well I guess I talked to the wrong pessimist, thanks again

Comment

• J2H
        J2H commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll have to take an initial physical and a physical every year, incl EKG. As long as the doc clears you, you should be fine.

It did not effect me obtaining an FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate, or becoming an 1811. I believe it is a somewhat common problem in society, just not a lot of people are diagnosed. As long as your doc doesn't see issues, you will probably be fine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8986 users online. 429 members and 8557 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X