300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI and cops

If a LEO gts caught driving under the influance, off duty of course, and has ethier a one car crash or a non life threating crash, what are the chances he will KEEP his job?

and what are the chances he would get some form of departmental disapline?

(IE- probation time, desk duty or the like?)

Also, doesnt this make it harder for his charges of DUI that he arrest stick? my thought is that a defense lawyer would use this to clear their client?
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

In my dept., since we do not have light duty or desk duty, the officer would probably lose his job if his license was suspended unless he/she was given work privileges.

Discipline...Yes.

Court...the defense attorney won't be able to bring it up.

Comment

DUI and Cops

Depending on the plea, or finding of the court, the Officer would be looking for another job. Alabama DPS

Comment

Each department will vary. Here a DUI will get discipline and also whatever happens in court. Depending on the circumstances you may be still employed.

Comment

A state police/highway patrol will probably show the officer the door. In other agencies, it varies widely. Where I worked, I know one officer that was canned when he was involved in one off-duty DUI, and another one that kept his job after an ON-duty DUI. It's often dependent on your political standing in the agency.
          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

what if the officer doesnt get a charge but its known that he was driving drunk.

and thanks guys theres alot of differant outcomes out there. and Tim politics plays into each one.
            ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

He wont get fired, i know many cops that have had DUI'S. defense attorney would have a field day on him though if he ever arrested someone for dui in future times. (Atleast here in ohio they would)
              sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
              Rocky Balboa
              Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Here, he'd be suspended for the duration of his License Revocation but only for a first offense, which has a 6-month suspension..anything more and the town would move to fire him.

Comment

It does vary. I have known of a few officers that got a DUI. Some got disciplined and some got the door.
                  "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

He's history here. And, he should be.
                    The All New
                    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

His future would entail him saying "would you like fries with that"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees View Post
                        A state police/highway patrol will probably show the officer the door. In other agencies, it varies widely. Where I worked, I know one officer that was canned when he was involved in one off-duty DUI, and another one that kept his job after an ON-duty DUI. It's often dependent on your political standing in the agency.
                        Its all dependant on the letters on your name tag...
                        So true , so sad...
                        I got nothing for now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5094 users online. 291 members and 4803 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X