300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had another lil thought...

I wonder if the same legislator will offe up a bill proposing enhanced penalties for elected officials who violate the public's trust by commiting fraud etc...

Whatcha think???

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
      Really? Me to, but in the end cops are humans, see my previous post about the pharmacist. If cops should have special sentencing guidelines then everyone should.
      In the end everyone is human. Nobody likes feeling like they are on the losing end of a double standard (which is probably why cops here are often asked about PC). As someone else mentioned the penalty of assaulting or killing a officer is more severe than an identical crime on a civilian. The argument you presented would require identical sentencing guidelines for a civilian who walk up and slugged an officer in the face as it would the same civilian slugging another civilian, whether it be the more severe or lenient of the two guidelines.

A pharmacist who sells illegal drugs would probably be most closely related to a police officer selling illicit drugs. So to compare this law of murder in the first degree by a police officer with a pharmacist would be more like a pharmacist deliberately changing Aunt Bea's monthly blood pressure medication for a lethal dose of some other medication. The pharmacist had additional knowledge/training that made them more dangerous acting as they did. In addition they violated the direct trust Aunt Bea had established with them and used it to their advantage. IMO this situation would equate to first degree murder and I think they should face a stiffer penalty.

There are double standards all around us, sometimes you benefit sometimes not, either way people not murdering other people don't have to worry about it. However, I believe people who are against it based on principle do have a very valid argument.

Comment

[QUOTE=itnstalln;866397]A pharmacist who sells illegal drugs would probably be most closely related to a police officer selling illicit drugs. [QUOTE]

You misunderstood, the post of pharmacist / police officer was made to draw a distinction between the professions. In Alaska while in uniform and under the color of authority (I'm assuming here from the little bit of information in the orginal post) a police officer did in fact commit premeditated first degree murder. The officer used his profession to further his intent.

I stated that there is no difference in a pharmacist using his profession, i.e. knowledge of medication, to profit using his profession illicitly by selling prescription medication.

Of course selling a controlled substance is less of a crime then murder, but if an officer could be sentenced to 99 years for murder because of his profession then shouldn't a pharmacist be sentenced to 45 years for distributing? Both are using the profession as a means to an illegal end.

Alot of my problem with this is society and law makers want to keep harping and piling stuff on law enforcement and hold us to this mythical standard yet the rest of the country slowly keeps oozing back into this almost stone age behavior and then they complain when we do our jobs.
        Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
        I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
        Originally posted by weinerdog2000
        as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Bah, just another example of how the masses in society have become so reactionary without thought, consideration or understanding. Hope it goes nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
            Really? Me to, but in the end cops are humans, see my previous post about the pharmacist. If cops should have special sentencing guidelines then everyone should.
            not everybody has the public trust.
            a public official should literally burn for abusing that trust.

I see a lawsuit in your future.
            i could never be a cop because i'm too darned insubordinate.

Comment

I don’t think a position held should make the person deserving of a worse punishment. Accountability should be mandatory no matter what, no matter the case. A special provision just because one happens to have a title, it's foolish in its essence. Tell me why a person who commits the same crime but holds no title should be held to lesser accountability?

Comment

I can't imagine this would hold up to a SC challenge, and while it "might" be reasonable, it could protentially result in a lot of abuse by ******** politicos.
                Considerably.....

83.9 on the Jeff Co. test! Woohoo!

Comment

I think that this is 100% political BS. Murder ..... 1st degree. I could care less who it is. Murder = life in prison (or death ) no matter who commits it.
                  Space for rent .........

Comment

I am not a LEO yet, but it really doesnt make a difference to me what the penalty for 1st degree murder is..... In fact if I murder someone I give permission to be sentenced to death.

Is it fair to sentence LEOs more than regular citizens? I dont know, because quite frankly I believe all murderers should be sentenced to Life or death.

The criminals will be lucky when I become a LEO and not a judge.

Comment

I see a BIG problem here with the whole mandatory sentence. My issue here is, that if you commit murder, its punishable by death, but in reality, in may go from anywhere from years to life. When you have mandatory sentences, things like this happen...

http://www.november.org/dissentingopinions/Motz.html

315 years. Talk about NEVER seeing the light of day. Dont get me wrong, what these 2 did is UNACCEPTABLE, but I have to think REAL hard to find a case that compares to this type of sentence.

I'm just speculating, but I think eventually somewhere down the line, cases like these may come back on appeal.

Comment

Personally I think it's pointless to pay to keep someone alive in prison for the rest of their life, I think anyone convicted of first degree murder should be executed. Whether they are a cop, doctor, crackhead bum, or a 10 year-old kid. But that's a whole separate issue.

Comment

I am not LEO. I am not anti-LEO. But as I see it, LEOs are given a lot of power. I have to by law "pull over" and obey the LEO. I have to by law, obey the LEOs word. I don't have to do this for a civilian. So the question comes to abuse of power.

If a LEO pulls me over and I have to obey him/her and he/she shoots me in the head for no reason...then....the murdering LEO had an advantage. His/her abuse of power was granted to him/her not me.

I would not have to obey a civilian like I would a LEO. It is not fair game. So I have to agree with the harsher sentence. I have a lot of respect for honest LEOs. But less respect for the dishonest LEO than a dishonest civilian only because LEO's are and have been trusted with authority and power over ordinary citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStix View Post
                            I see a BIG problem here with the whole mandatory sentence. My issue here is, that if you commit murder, its punishable by death, but in reality, in may go from anywhere from years to life. When you have mandatory sentences, things like this happen...

http://www.november.org/dissentingopinions/Motz.html

315 years. Talk about NEVER seeing the light of day. Dont get me wrong, what these 2 did is UNACCEPTABLE, but I have to think REAL hard to find a case that compares to this type of sentence.

I'm just speculating, but I think eventually somewhere down the line, cases like these may come back on appeal.
                            Dayum! Should have taken the 10 years!

Comment

I don't know if it as federal or local law....but...where I live......... if a civilian kills a LEO it is automatic CAPITAL MURDER. If a civilian attempts to kill a LEO it is automatic attempt capital murder charges. Why not the reverse?

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
                                How about we just give ALL murderers 99 years?
                                My thoughts exactly. Let's face it, the law isn't designed to stop it from happening but make the politicians look good. If 25 years isn't going to stop someone from doing it, 99 or 999 billion isn't either.

It still isn't going to bring back the dead girl or prevent it from happening in the future. Maybe that's where they should be looking at focusing their attention, not what is going to happen afterwards.

Someone who premeditates the murder of another person shouldn't ever be let out.

But really....is this the biggest issue facing law makers right now?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2724 users online. 136 members and 2588 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X