Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mandatory 99 Years for Police Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    What about the 14th Amendment? Anyone think this law will survive that kind of challenege?
    "First of all, then we have to say the American public overwhelmingly voted for socialism when they elected President Obama." - Al Sharpton, March 21, 2010

    Comment


    • #17
      Me TOO........Delete..Delete...Delete.

      LEOs talking about unfair sentences if they commit murder is truly ....... Screwed up.
      Last edited by Sgt. Geezer; 04-29-2007, 07:37 AM.
      Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
      Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

      Comment


      • #18
        Neither did Ramos or Compean....
        "First of all, then we have to say the American public overwhelmingly voted for socialism when they elected President Obama." - Al Sharpton, March 21, 2010

        Comment


        • #19
          Down here, 1st degree murder can get you the death penalty so I don't see 99 years as being a problem.

          What I do have a problem with is the fact that this law is another from a long string of 'feel good legislation' designed to catapult a politician's career when there are already laws in place to handle the situation. bAsed on what little we know, the officer in question was alrady guilty of kidnapping and murder. I would imagine that a max sentence on those two counts ordered to run consecutively would have taken care of business already.

          I feel the same way about "hate crime laws".

          When a perpetrator is in the midst of his/her little crime spree, the penalties aren't on their minds. Enhanced penalties don't prevent crime, they make other potential victims feel like a politician gives a rat's patootie.

          Dat's my $0.02
          Last edited by Camo Cop; 04-29-2007, 07:37 AM. Reason: typo

          Comment


          • #20
            press the alt button and 0162 to create:

            ¢

            and that's my 2¢
            Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
            Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Camo Cop View Post
              Down here, 1st degree murder can get you the death penalty so I don't see 99 years as being a problem.

              What I do have a problem with is the fact that this law is another from a long string of 'feel good legislation' designed to catapult a politician's career when there are already laws in place to handle the situation. bAsed on what little we know, the officer in question was alrady guilty of kidnapping and murder. I would imagine that a max sentence on those two counts ordered to run consecutively would have taken care of business already.

              I feel the same way about "hate crime laws".

              When a perpetrator is in the midst of his/her little crime spree, the penalties aren't on their minds. Enhanced penalties don't prevent crime, they make other potential victims feel like a politician gives a rat's patootie.

              Dat's my $0.02
              That pretty much nailed it on the head.
              "First of all, then we have to say the American public overwhelmingly voted for socialism when they elected President Obama." - Al Sharpton, March 21, 2010

              Comment


              • #22
                I really don't care if it is a thousand years. I don't plan on premeditated murder. But on the other hand, if a person robs a liquor store, rapes the clerk, kidnapps their child and sets the place on fire they get a "life" sentence and are eligble for parole after 20 years, but the officer has to serve 40, yeah that makes sense. Well no, not really, but again I don't really care because if a person does this crap they deserve what happends. THis is not accidental murder or something related to your duty but it is an officer using his power to take away a persons civil rights and their life.
                "Anyone is capable of anything"

                "I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

                -Peter Gibbons
                Office Space

                Comment


                • #23
                  I have issues with removing a judge's discretion, since one case is never like another one exactly.
                  But otherwise since LEOs already have special status since anyone killing them tends to get the death penalty, this seems only fair.
                  I also think a good shoot should be obvious and readily distinguishable from a murder.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by The Rabbi View Post
                    I have issues with removing a judge's discretion, since one case is never like another one exactly.
                    But otherwise since LEOs already have special status since anyone killing them tends to get the death penalty, this seems only fair.
                    I also think a good shoot should be obvious and readily distinguishable from a murder.
                    that about nails it for me.
                    shepherdess extraordinaire

                    "Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I've never been a fan of mandatory minimums. 99 years for 1st degree, on the surface seems reasonable. This is until you factor in an overzealous Prosecutor (election year), a lying witness, a botched investigation, community unrest, political interference, and an officer who honestly feels that he did the right thing, but is unable to properly articulate the events that led him to engage in deadly force. (Every dept. has one). Then you also factor in the fact that all departments do not have unions representing officers, which means hiring a private attorney for some of you guys. $$$! I don't know about this one, you guys.

                      A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

                      It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        How about we just give ALL murderers 99 years?
                        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
                          We are held to a higher standard morally, that doesn't mean that we should have special penalities if we commit a crime.
                          i don't agree.
                          in my opinion a corrupt cop is less than human.
                          a cop that murders while using his cop status should rot in hades.
                          now lets define murder in this case.
                          a cop in uniform comes into your house and kills you for sleeping with his wife.
                          to be clear i am not saying a cop shouldn't use deadly force.



                          . . . justifiable shootings wouldn't matter.
                          correct.
                          but then again i would consider killing the VT shooter during booking justifiable.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            It's the principle. I wonder if that same lawmaker has bothered trying to pass a 99-yr. mandatory minimum term for anyone who kills a police officer, since we're special and all apparently.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ofc129 View Post
                              It's the principle. I wonder if that same lawmaker has bothered trying to pass a 99-yr. mandatory minimum term for anyone who kills a police officer, since we're special and all apparently.
                              That would be in improvement over the current death penalty reserved in many places for people killing police officers.

                              but then again i would consider killing the VT shooter during booking justifiable
                              And there we have the root of the problem.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by leopold99 View Post
                                i don't agree.
                                in my opinion a corrupt cop is less than human.
                                a cop that murders while using his cop status should rot in hades.
                                now lets define murder in this case.
                                a cop in uniform comes into your house and kills you for sleeping with his wife.
                                to be clear i am not saying a cop shouldn't use deadly force.
                                Really? Me to, but in the end cops are humans, see my previous post about the pharmacist. If cops should have special sentencing guidelines then everyone should.


                                Originally posted by leopold99 View Post
                                correct.but then again i would consider killing the VT shooter during booking justifiable.
                                I see a lawsuit in your future.

                                Not something you would have had to worry about, he wouldn't have went to jail on his own he would have forced a deadly force incident..........obviously.
                                Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

                                "And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

                                Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                                I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                                Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                                as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5327 users online. 339 members and 4988 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X