Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory 99 Years for Police Officers

Law sets 99-year sentence for lawmen who murder
    NOME SLAYING: Outrage over woman's shooting death prompts Sonya Ivanoff Act.

By STEVE QUINN
    The Associated Press

(Published: April 28, 2007)
    JUNEAU -- Gov. Sarah Palin signed into law Friday a mandated sentence for peace officers convicted of first-degree murder.

A high-profile case featuring a Nome police officer convicted of killing a 19-year-old woman drove the measure, said Sen. Donnie Olson, D-Nome, who drafted the legislation.

Last year, former Nome officer Matthew Owens received a 101-year sentence for the murder of Sonya Ivanoff and for tampering with evidence in 2003.

The new law is called the Sonya Ivanoff Act.

It states that any peace officer, firefighter or correctional employee convicted of first-degree murder will receive a mandatory sentence of 99 years in prison.

It specifies that a jury must find by "clear and convincing evidence" that people convicted under the law used their authority as a peace officer to commit the crime.

"We must work in a trusting partnership to make sure that no citizen feels unsafe, or disrespected or will be treated unfairly by our peace officers," Palin said.

"This legislation will send a message that we will hold our peace officers to that standard Alaskans deserve and respect," she said.

Ivanoff moved from Unalakleet to Nome in 2002. She disappeared Aug. 11, 2003.

Witnesses said they saw her getting into a police car in the early morning hours of that day. Owens was one of two officers on duty.

Her body was found at the end of an access road near gold dredges about three miles from downtown Nome. She had been shot once.

Alaska State Troopers eventually took over the investigation and Owens was arrested in October 2003.

It was the troopers' investigation that former prosecutor Richard Svobodny said should help restore any lost faith in law enforcement

"There was a huge amount of work put in by the Alaska State Troopers," said Svobodny, now a deputy attorney general. "Once they thought there was a police officer involved, they were tenacious."

It still took two trials to get a conviction. During the first trial, a Nome jury could not reach a verdict. A second trial in Kotzebue produced a guilty verdict after three days of deliberation.

Several members of Ivanoff's family flew to Juneau for the signing.

"The family might have a little closure for her death," said Ivanoff's father, Larry Ivanoff. "But I don't think you'll ever have closure because we'll continue missing her."

Discuss
    MOLON LABE!

Ever Cook any fools?!?

I don't agree. Pharmacists aren't given extra jail time because they are caught illegally selling perscription medication.
    Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
    I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
    Originally posted by weinerdog2000
    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

what.

the.

hell.
      The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Originally posted by stangfather View Post
        what.

the.

hell.
        Who?

Me?

I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
        as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

I see this pretty much the same way that Redders does. However there are many that will argue that Police Officers should be held to a higher standard than other people.

I see this developing into alot of Alaska cops potentially not using Deadly force when it is needed because of this law. I see alot of justified deadly force encounters being used against cops.

No good will come of this.
          MOLON LABE!

Ever Cook any fools?!?

Comment

Originally posted by BeansBaxter View Post
            I see this pretty much the same way that Redders does. However there are many that will argue that Police Officers should be held to a higher standard than other people.
            We are held to a higher standard morally, that doesn't mean that we should have special penalities if we commit a crime.

I see this developing into alot of Alaska cops potentially not using Deadly force when it is needed because of this law. I see alot of justified deadly force encounters being used against cops.

Shouldn't be an issue, justifiable shootings wouldn't matter. This is intended for the purpose of an officer premeditating murder when no deadly force threat presents itself to the officer. Murder for murders sake, not defense of self or others with the threat of deadly force imminent.

Comment

This is not like a shoot/don't shoot deadly force situation, but one of premeditated murder. A police officer committed first degree murder. I do not really see anything wrong with the law (as its provided..I have not gone through it piece by piece).

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
                This is not like a shoot/don't shoot deadly force situation, but one of premeditated murder. A police officer committed first degree murder. I do not really see anything wrong with the law (as its provided..I have not gone through it piece by piece).
                Different circumstances, same concept....would it therefore then be acceptable for law enforcment to be held to say a "double" penalty if found guilty of a crime? A speeding fine for a non-leo 100.00 but for the off duty cop who should know better 200.00?

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
                  We are held to a higher standard morally, that doesn't mean that we should have special penalities if we commit a crime.

Shouldn't be an issue, justifiable shootings wouldn't matter. This is intended for the purpose of an officer premeditating murder when no deadly force threat presents itself to the officer. Murder for murders sake, not defense of self or others with the threat of deadly force imminent.

Shouldn't be an issue but it will come up.

I'm an officer in a VERY small community I know everyone and everyone knows me. If a deadly force encouter ever happend you can bet there would be speculation it happend because the officer had it "out" for this person. I bet if an Officer uses deadly force and it comes to light the officer had dealt with the person beofore on a regular basis there would be lots of speculation. I can very much see a justified shooting turning into murder charges real quick.
                  MOLON LABE!

Ever Cook any fools?!?

Comment

Shouldn't be an issue but it will come up.

I'm an officer in a VERY small community I know everyone and everyone knows me. If a deadly force encouter ever happend you can bet there would be speculation it happend because the officer had it "out" for this person. I bet if an Officer uses deadly force and it comes to light the officer had dealt with the person beofore on a regular basis there would be lots of speculation. I can very much see a justified shooting turning into murder charges real quick.
                    It's all in articulation. It doesn't matter how small a community is reasonable people know that when you point a gun at an officer you generally won't wake up to see the extra holes in your body. I deal with the same family on a weekly basis, it's gone so far as I've put hands on dad one day to go to jail my next shift I put hands on wife to put her in jail. Weekly contacts for months would indicate to me that somebody is a problem child and made their own bed so now they have to sleep in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
                      It's all in articulation. It doesn't matter how small a community is reasonable people know that when you point a gun at an officer you generally won't wake up to see the extra holes in your body. I deal with the same family on a weekly basis, it's gone so far as I've put hands on dad one day to go to jail my next shift I put hands on wife to put her in jail. Weekly contacts for months would indicate to me that somebody is a problem child and made their own bed so now they have to sleep in it.
                      Redders, my friend you have hit the nail on the head. "REASONABLE" people...we don't deal with reasonable people though do we?

Therin lies the problem you get the most unreasonable people (criminals, substance abusers etc. and then you get more unreasonable people who listen to them (politicians) and you have a whoooole lot of trouble.
                      MOLON LABE!

Ever Cook any fools?!?

Comment

Im 50/50 on this idea... If police officers are to get this sentence, shouldnt citizens receive the same sentence?

That would gain more trust overall..

Currently, if a citizen commits first degree murder, the sentence can be anywhere from 10 to 25 years depending on the type, but think of it this way...

Say the victim is 10 - 20 years old, that "kid" would have ~60 years left.. So, why does the killer get off by only spending 10 to 25 of his / her own years. Technically prison is for rehabilitation and punishment, not a place to serve time and get out, then repeat the same thing over..

Two wrongs dont make a right, but a life for a life sounds almost right to me.
                        I do not really approve of the death penalty either, unless the person is a complete psycho that goes nuts on families, or children.

Josh - First post

Comment

Redders, my friend you have hit the nail on the head. "REASONABLE" people...we don't deal with reasonable people though do we?

Therin lies the problem you get the most unreasonable people (criminals, substance abusers etc. and then you get more unreasonable people who listen to them (politicians) and you have a whoooole lot of trouble.
                          I completely agree, but basically the spirit of the "cop murder sentence" is just that murder. If or when the state can prove that an officer premeditated and committed the act of murder then they can be sentenced accordingly. An officer can not, in my opinion, premeditate murder when arriving on a call or a call devolves into a deadly force incident because he had no premeditation. As with all crimes you have to show intent. Facing a deadly force incident and in meeting deadly force with deadly force, we shoot to stop the threat not to kill, someone dies then the person choose to take the ride, it's not my fault I punched their ticket.

Comment

delete,delete.delete,
                            Last edited by j706; 04-29-2007, 01:40 AM.
                            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That's BS! LEO"S and CO"S are going to be sentenced to longer terms than civilians because of the profession. 99 years is going to be a death sentence. "Joey scumbag" kills someone 1st degree he could be out in 25. A police officer, still a human being, does it he'll never see the outside again.
                              WTF? TO THE LAWMAKERS IN ALASKA, KMA!
                              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5313 users online. 269 members and 5044 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X