300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting over fears

Just wanted to see if anyone out there considering becoming a LEO struggles with their self-confidence as far as sticking with their goals and ignoring those negative voices. I've put off pursuing this goal cause of the fear of failing. Now that I'm a little older I want to give it another shot and prove to myself that I can do it. I just want to be a good officer and do the right things. Any input is appreciated.

Originally posted by want2bgoodcop View Post
    Just wanted to see if anyone out there considering becoming a LEO struggles with their self-confidence as far as sticking with their goals and ignoring those negative voices. I've put off pursuing this goal cause of the fear of failing. Now that I'm a little older I want to give it another shot and prove to myself that I can do it. I just want to be a good officer and do the right things. Any input is appreciated.

What is holding you back, exactly? If LE is something you want to do, put on your man-pants and frickin' do it.

Comment

I'm with you, bro. I feel uneasy as well. Learning the streets, learning the laws, not getting cut in FTO. It's a lot to digest, and sometimes I worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Matto View Post
        I'm with you, bro. I feel uneasy as well. Learning the streets, learning the laws, not getting cut in FTO. It's a lot to digest, and sometimes I worry.
        May I suggest something. List out your areas of concern, i.e.- fitness, radio codes, laws, mapwork, etc.

Spend 1 hour each week per area ('cept for fitness, that requires 1 hour /day).

Fitness:- work out 1 hr/day (warm up, run, lift, cool down).

Other areas: 1 hour per week of study in that area only. For instance, on Monday night you put in an hour studying radio codes. On Saturday you put in another hour studying penal codes. On Sunday you put in an hour with the Legal Sourcebook or LE Legal Reporter or whatever publication updates case law in your jurisdiction.

In a few weeks, you will be well on your way to being well-versed in all your areas of prior-weakness.

It's all about biting off small, digestible bites, one at a time.

HTH,

EDJ
        "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

You know, one thing I've learned to do well is to just "mute" those voices. It's all about focus, if you focus on those concerns, they'll inundate you. Everyone has worries and fears, but what you've to determine is if allowing that fear to effect your choices is acceptable. When you ask yourself the question "Should my fears of failing keep me frompersuing LEO?" Don't you immediatly find the correct answer? If so, put those fears on the backburner and embark on the same journey, with all the same concerns, as a majority of the users on this board.

Hope that made some sense.
          Best of luck to ya man.

Comment

Likewise to what they said. Yeah the fears are there, but you need to really evaluate why you want to do this, and is it worth the blood and sweat you're willing to put into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matto View Post

As an FTO, here is what I suggest: RELAX.

Any FTO who is worth a sh#t will help you succeed, not fail. As an officer/trainee, your only job is to absorb all of the info you can. Ask questions, listen, observe and do.

Being pre-occupied with failure anworry will doom you. The streets will come, the statutes will become familiar, don't worry.

Comment

Strangle the voices, this job is not the hardest in the world to do. Are you going to make mistakes? Count on it, and learn from them.

No one expects you to be perfect but they do expect you to try your best and be realistic in your limitations. If there is something you aren't sure about, no matter how small it may be, you have a lot of resources available to you to learn from. You aren't going to be any different than anyone else coming out of the academy that's green and not sure if they can do it.

You need to ask yourself how bad you want this job...because I can assure you there are hundreds, if not thousands out there that want it really, really bad and won't hestitate to step on ya to get it

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
                  May I suggest something. List out your areas of concern, i.e.- fitness, radio codes, laws, mapwork, etc.

Spend 1 hour each week per area ('cept for fitness, that requires 1 hour /day).

Fitness:- work out 1 hr/day (warm up, run, lift, cool down).

Other areas: 1 hour per week of study in that area only. For instance, on Monday night you put in an hour studying radio codes. On Saturday you put in another hour studying penal codes. On Sunday you put in an hour with the Legal Sourcebook or LE Legal Reporter or whatever publication updates case law in your jurisdiction.

In a few weeks, you will be well on your way to being well-versed in all your areas of prior-weakness.

It's all about biting off small, digestible bites, one at a time.

HTH,

EDJ
                  Thank you sir. Not worried about the fitness, know some 10 codes, the rest will be a doosey.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                    As an FTO, here is what I suggest: RELAX.

Any FTO who is worth a sh#t will help you succeed, not fail. As an officer/trainee, your only job is to absorb all of the info you can. Ask questions, listen, observe and do.

Being pre-occupied with failure anworry will doom you. The streets will come, the statutes will become familiar, don't worry.
                    Thanks buddy. I think I am easy to work with, and the biggest thing is I listen. Just sometimes it takes a few times for me to understand something, so hopefully I have a patient fto

Comment

Like Nike says "just do it." That is all there is to it. Policing at its best. Hesitation (not contemplation, calcualtion, or some other positive -ation) is a very BAD thing to have in policing.

BG's can smell it. It can severely screw you or worse your partner up.

Like someone said before: put your man-pants on.
                      Space for rent .........

Comment

Let me tell you a story, I put off applying to PD's for a while because I didn't think I had what it takes. I waited 2 years, always had the applications in my car, but never turned them in because I was afraid of rejection. Then one day my girlfriend and a few cop buddies finally bugged me to put in for the agency I wanted to work for. It only took 8 months, but i finally got the job.

I had to put aside the negative voices to do it, and it payed off. Tommorrow is my 4th day on FTO, and I can't wait. I only wonder how bad life would suck right now if I didn't put in that application and have patience.

So hang in there. It's worth it.
                        You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies! Not that it makes any difference I'm a female and know that I will have to prove myself on the job (doing it as well as the guys/having the public take me seriouslty, ect.) I will work on shutting out those negative voice. You're right if I want it bad enough I will make it. I'd love to hear any other advice you guys got out there.

Comment

While I am going through the LASD process. I am currenty working a security job that forces me to be in direct contact with many people. Everyone used to get to me when I first started, I'd always see them staring at me to see what I did in ANY situation. Eventually I learned to just do my job and shut them out. Growing a thick skin helps with the whole prooving yourself part. Honestly, I've had some female partners who are the kind who you want to ask out on a date, and then there are those who you want backing you up should stuff hit the fan. One thing I will not emphasize enough is OFFICER SAFETY #1, make sure you can have your partner's back and I'd have no trouble working with you in Security or LE for that matter.

Hope that helps a little.

Comment

Heh, there are some days the concept scares the **** out of me and other days where nothing is going to get in my way. I worry a lot about just being able to "hack it" but, I don't let it get too me too much. I don't worry too much about hacking it...because I've got people, some who are on the job and some who are not supporting me. Good friends that I can go to with any real concerns, issues and ect have been one of the few saving graces in my life as a whole. Anyhow...that's my two cents...if you need someone to talk to, I'm almost always around...and I don't bite hard.
                              Last edited by amblnc38; 05-01-2007, 12:42 PM.
                              Considerably.....

83.9 on the Jeff Co. test! Woohoo!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3178 users online. 165 members and 3013 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X