X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migraman
    replied
    Originally posted by willowdared View Post
    I think they are calling it Customs and Border Protection these days???
    Castrated Border Patrol.

Your choice depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't get hug up on the money. The same salary that qualifies you for food stamps in Southern California allows you to live like a king in South Texas.

A State agency confines you to that State, in CBP you can be stationed almost anywhere in the world.

Leave a comment:

• finaljustice
    replied
    CBP man, (go federal) but I am bias.....

Leave a comment:

• yellowreef
    replied
    CBP - Customs and Border Protection (Merger between the uniformed Customs Service and the uniformed INS service which includes the Border Patrol.)

- CBP OFFICER (Old Customs Inspectors merged with Old Immigration Inspectors)- In a very loose job description work at airports, seaports and land ports of entry inspecting people and cargo coming in.

- (CBP) Border Patrol Agent - Work in between ports of entry to detect and interdict anything coming into the country.

Two VERY different jobs suited for two VERY different kinds of people. Just thought I'd clarify that one.

Leave a comment:

• sgttom
    replied
    aha! I learned something.. CBP..

CDCR dude!!!!

a lot of "inside" jobs - SERT, Gangs, Towers,
    "outside ones too - Parole Agent, Criminal Investigator, Investigations
    Office of Civil Rights, etc....

this state job trumps CBP pay (federal).
    CBP also - you have to learn spanish while in their academy.. must learn or fail the program (great way / reason to learn OR more pressure).
    Last edited by sgttom; 05-09-2007, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 3India
    replied
    Willow, sometimes I think sgttom is more correct...

Here's a thought, why aren't the Canadian/Northern Border illegals yammering for citizenship???? Why don't Northern Border BPA's going to prison for "unjustified use of dealy force" ? Think about that!

In response to the thread proper:

As with most Local v. Federal, Local = better benefits(family friendly premiums), lower pay(usually), Fed= more pay less benefits (cost more in premiums/not so good retirement). Things are gonna change when we get 6c/12d or whatever the controllers give us.
    Last edited by 3India; 05-09-2007, 06:13 PM. Reason: I really should address the thread, huh....

Leave a comment:

• willowdared
    replied
    Originally posted by sgttom View Post
    CDCR - California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

CBP ? Border Patrol (but CA doesn't have this) Closet Broom Pusher? ??? (just joking around..)

I think they are calling it Customs and Border Protection these days???

Leave a comment:

• jp2protect
    replied
    If you are applying to be a cbp agent which is not the same as a border patrol agent, I would reccomend going for the cdcr job due to the fact that the cdcr has a much better retirement package. If you are applying for the border patrol agent, its a different situation since they have the same type of retirement package.

Leave a comment:

• sgttom
    replied
    CDCR - California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

CBP ? Border Patrol (but CA doesn't have this) Closet Broom Pusher? ??? (just joking around..)

Depends on what you're looking for in the future... (and I'm not sure what CBP is at the moment)..... correctional officer, move up to intelligence officer or even better, parole officer. Great money, great bene's, POWERFUL union, transfer abilities up and down the state.... Do you have an AA or even better, a BA or MBA? Do a couple of years and get into the Office of Civil Rights or their (relatively) newly established IA Department.. talk about training and Overtime..

Where you looking to start at? CMF? Folsom? CSP? The "Q"?

Leave a comment:

• leif
    replied
    ca dept. of corrections and rehab.

Leave a comment:

• qixfeet
    replied
    What is CDCR?

Leave a comment:

• rmuniz007
    replied
    I guess no help....

Many views...but no post...It is alright!!!

Leave a comment:

• rmuniz007
    started a topic CDCR officer or CBP officer?

CDCR officer or CBP officer?

I have completed my pre-employment proccess with CDCR and be given a academy start date. However, I am almost in the same situation with CBP...Don't know where to go. Personally I like what CDCR has to offer and it seems that there are better opportunities. I am also in the running for FAM, but that might take a few more months to complete. Any suggestions?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6282 users online. 364 members and 5918 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X