Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police hours: do they transfer to the UK?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police hours: do they transfer to the UK?

Hello, I am planning to enroll as a police officer after I get my bachelors degree in CJ. Once I build enough hours in the police force, I then plan to re-locate in the UK to apply for a private investigators' license to eventually work/assimilate there. I am aware that you do not need to be a British citizen to do this, rather I only need to have a Visa and verification that I am qualified to work. The only question I have is, does this type of thing happen often? If someone could help me out with this and tune me in with some more information on how this process really works it would be very much so appreciated, because It seems that there might be something I’m missing. Thank-you!

What would possibly prepare you to work as a PI in the UK?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I think you need to do a little bit more research on what it takes to immigrate to England and be allowed to work. The chances of doing what you want to do is about zero. PI is not on UK's "shortage occupation" list, which means that it is not a critical skill that they need to import workers for. Every first world country has enough regular people that they don't need to import more. The UK is also part of the EU, which means anyone from the EU can work in the UK without going through the red tape that you are going to have to go through. You won't have the money to start your own business, nor is there any reason for a UK employer to sponsor you for employment. If you want to live in the UK, go there and get your degree. European degrees are surprising affordable compared to the US educational system.

How in the world did you come up with this idea?

Comment

Basically what CCCSD & just joe wrote. So-called Private Investigators are pretty much unregulated in the UK. There have been plans for years to introduce some sort of official oversight but nothing has come of it as far as I'm aware. I have had dealings with civilian investigators (none of whom actually referred to themselves as Private Investigators) in the course of my (UK) Police service and they were invariably ex- Police (or Customs or other law enforcement background) with the exception of private financial investigators, which is a slightly different skill set (and many of them are also from a law enforcement background). In that context, the investigator essentially hands over a full criminal investigation with statements and exhibited paperwork and invites the Police to interview and charge the suspect on behalf of their employer. Which is typically a slam-dunk as they have done all the heavy lifting. I can't comment on other areas of work which investigators might do (due diligence, background checks, surveillance, what have you) but would presume that for a prospective investigator to get his or her foot in the door, some contacts and experience would be needed.
        I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Okay. I didn’t know Sherlock Holmes could have been a lateral.
          semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by Hyphen View Post
            If someone could help me out with this and tune me in with some more information on how this process really works it would be very much so appreciated, because It seems that there might be something I’m missing. Thank-you!
            I don't think there is a "process" for what you are describing. I also don't know what you mean by "police hours." It's just work experience, and it doesn't "transfer" like college credits. Basically your goals, while not impossible, are not along the lines of a traditional career path, so I doubt you'll find a standardized process. If being a private investigator in the UK is your ultimate goal, I would try to find out what the requirements are for that and then work your way backwards. For all, I know, being a PI in the UK may not require any law enforcement experience at all.
            I work with a few Brits at my dept, but I think they either married Americans or had dual citizenship to begin with through their birth parents.

Comment

Thank-you everyone for the replies.

Comment

What the hell are "police hours"?
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I like how he’s going to “enroll” as a Police Officer...

How can one be a PI in a foreign country with ZERO knowledge of the law, rules, society, people, driving, shopping, schools, etc...?

Comment

The only question I have is, does this type of thing happen often?

undefined

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyphen View Post
                      Hello, I am planning to enroll as a police officer after I get my bachelors degree in CJ. Once I build enough hours in the police force, I then plan to re-locate in the UK to apply for a private investigators' license to eventually work/assimilate there. I am aware that you do not need to be a British citizen to do this, rather I only need to have a Visa and verification that I am qualified to work. The only question I have is, does this type of thing happen often? If someone could help me out with this and tune me in with some more information on how this process really works it would be very much so appreciated, because It seems that there might be something I’m missing. Thank-you!

Comment

Yeah, I've realized this was a stupid question..

Comment

going to stay in the US

Comment

If what you want to do is be PI, become a PI. It's quite a bit easier to get that job in the U.S. than it is to get on with a police department. I don't know what you know about it, but I hope you understand, it's not the glamorous job they portray on TV. It doesn't pay particularly well and you usually have to provide all of your equipment at your own expense. I've worked with and know quite a few former PIs. A lot of it is just staking out and seeing if some dude's wife is cheating on him, or if someone is violating workers comp rules, and stuff like that. You might be contracted to do background investigations for new hires for private companies. There have been some occasions where NFL teams will hire a PI to track down mascots kidnapped by disgruntled ex-kickers though.
                            "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                            -Chris Rock

Comment

• Hyphen
                              Hyphen commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the insights. Yes I'm aware of what it's really like to be a PI. I know a few PI's as well and have interviewed them. I plan to do law enforcement for a few years first, work the streets as a police officer, maybe go for the pension then retire as a PI. Or be a police officer for the minimum amount of hours to apply for my PI license then start building my business as a PI as soon as possible. We'll see..I've still got to finish my degree in CJ.

• CCCSD
                              CCCSD commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yeah..... sure...

You don’t seem to understand the concept of applying... Nor what a cop job is.

Comment

• Hyphen
                              Hyphen commented
                              Editing a comment
                              What makes you think that? Please enlighten me, Senpai.
                              Last edited by Hyphen; 03-13-2019, 01:25 AM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7365 users online. 288 members and 7077 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X