Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police hours: do they transfer to the UK?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hyphen
    Thanks for the insights. Yes I'm aware of what it's really like to be a PI. I know a few PI's as well and have interviewed them. I plan to do law enforcement for a few years first, work the streets as a police officer, maybe go for the pension then retire as a PI. Or be a police officer for the minimum amount of hours to apply for my PI license then start building my business as a PI as soon as possible. We'll see..I've still got to finish my degree in CJ.
    Most states that I'm aware of don't require any prior law enforcement experience prior to being a PI. I don't know what you're talking about when you say "minimum hours". If you want to be a cop, be a cop. But it's extremely hard to get into law enforcement. Even now, when there's not near the competition of years past, you'll be in for a lot of frustration trying to get hired. Seriously, don't look at police work as a stepping stone to being a PI. A police job is either a final destination, or a stepping stone to a more desirable police department, or a federal agency.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Comment

• Hyphen
      Hyphen commented
      Editing a comment
      A total of 6,000 hours of paid, investigative work over a period of three years (2,000 hours a year); OR
      A total of 5,000 hours of paid, investigative work over a period of two-and-a-half years with an Associate’s degree in criminal justice, law or police science; OR
      A total of 4,000 hours of paid, investigative work over a period of two years with a bachelor’s degree in law or police science.

"Acceptable investigative work includes: sworn law enforcement officer, military police officer, or doing investigative work under a licensed PI, attorney, repossession firm, insurance agency or arson investigation unit."

“Become a Private Detective through Training and Certification in California.” How to Become a Private Investigator How to Become a Private Detective, privateinvestigatoredu.org/california/.

That's what I mean by "minimum hours"
      Also, why is it harder to become a cop nowadays even though its less competitive than before?

Yes, I would love to get a job as a US cop with paid vacation, paid sick days, personal days, healthcare, retirement system, steady pay check, promotional opportunities then give it up for self employment with none of those benefits. Spend my time following cheating husbands who will beat me up and then sue me. Maybe be lucky enough to work for an insurance company and take photos of disabled persons playing golf. Oh, and do it in the UK were I can't carry a gun, pepper spray or knife. Maybe they will let me have a whistle.

Comment

• Hyphen
      Hyphen commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol. I know PI's who get cases that are homicides as a PI, you can also get cases ranging from arson, robbery, missing people, which honestly sounds super interesting to me. As for the London thing that will make me develop better communication skills. Although, I'm a bit deterred from the London idea after doing more research about it..the transferring process is very tedious. Secondly, I would probably retire into PI work after the pension. Maybe If I really hated being a cop I would go straight into PI work, but I seriously doubt that.

• CCCSD
      CCCSD commented
      Editing a comment
      No....no you don’t. You have MUCH growing up to do.

https://youtu.be/YAzTIOy0ID0

Comment

• Hyphen
      Hyphen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man.

CCCSD Hello sir. I understand you are basically a veteran and I am a rookie (which I completely respect), but If you're just going to bash me without any practical advice then don't reply to my posts.

Comment

• GangGreen712
      GangGreen712 commented
      Editing a comment
      You're not even a rookie yet. You're a wannabe. We've all been there, but don't call yourself a rookie until you've been sworn in. And what CCCSD is saying, in a nutshell, is that you don't seem to be grasping what anyone here is telling you; or you're not listening.

Lol. I know PI's who get cases that are homicides as a PI, you can also get cases ranging from arson, robbery, missing people, which honestly sounds super interesting to me. As for the London thing that will make me develop better communication skills. Although, I'm a bit deterred from the London idea after doing more research about it..the transferring process is very tedious. Secondly, I would probably retire into PI work after the pension. Maybe If I really hated being a cop I would go straight into PI work, but I seriously doubt that.
    If you want to investigate homicide, arson, robbery, missing people, etc...why not just forget the PI thing and just be a cop?? Why is being a PI more attractive to you than being a police officer when what you want to do is police stuff?

A total of 6,000 hours of paid, investigative work over a period of three years (2,000 hours a year); OR
    A total of 5,000 hours of paid, investigative work over a period of two-and-a-half years with an Associate’s degree in criminal justice, law or police science; OR
    A total of 4,000 hours of paid, investigative work over a period of two years with a bachelor’s degree in law or police science.

"Acceptable investigative work includes: sworn law enforcement officer, military police officer, or doing investigative work under a licensed PI, attorney, repossession firm, insurance agency or arson investigation unit."

“Become a Private Detective through Training and Certification in California.” How to Become a Private Investigator How to Become a Private Detective, privateinvestigatoredu.org/california/.

That's what I mean by "minimum hours"
    Okay, but we're back to my main point: Obviously, your dream job is to be a PI. But for whatever reason, you want to try for a police job, which is more difficult to get, as a stepping stone to become a PI, which is less difficult to get. I think you're putting the cart before the horse here, and I don't think you quite understand the inefficiency to what you're planning on doing.

A police job is not something you enlist or enroll in; it is a huge, frustrating, often heartbreaking pain in the *** to get into. You might get lucky and get a police job right away, but the odds are that you're going to be like most people who try to break into the business: Applying to dozens of departments and taking years to find one that wants to hire you. With every process, it's likely to take a few months to more than a year between the time you apply and the time you get hired.

If you apply to work under a licensed PI, you're going to be doing exactly what you want to do right away, the hiring process is likely going to be considerably shorter. If not that, why not a law office, repo company, or insurance agency? Again, you're probably not going to be going through a months-to-years long, multi-phase process to get hired in those jobs. They are actual stepping stones to where you want to go.

Also, why is it harder to become a cop nowadays even though its less competitive than before?
    From the time the economy tanked in 2008 until about 5 years ago, police jobs were extremely hard to come by. Departments were laying off officers and going on hiring freezes. The few departments that actually were hiring usually only had a small number of openings. At the same time, the hiring pool was filled with laid off cops, cops looking for new departments, combat vets coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, and experienced professionals from other fields who were laid off and looking for any full time job with benefits. It wasn't uncommon to have 2000+ applicants show up to take a test for a single opening.
    Then the economy started to get better. The people applying simply for the work and benefits found both elsewhere. Laid off cops were getting hired back or finding jobs elsewhere as better budgets meant more openings. The number of unemployed vets began to drop rapidly. And then the police started getting a lot of bad press because of things like Ferguson and Baltimore. So a lot of people decided they wanted no part of that and stopped trying to get into law enforcement. Right now, the number of applicants is way less than it was at the beginning of the decade. But that said, it's still competitive, and departments are often still extremely picky about backgrounds, often to their own detriment.
    So, my point being, that even though it's not as bad as it was in recent years, don't look at it as an easy in to becoming a PI.
    Last edited by GangGreen712; 03-14-2019, 07:52 AM.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Comment

• Hyphen
      Hyphen commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay thanks for the information. I realize I sound really naive, but I am more aware than you think about the hiring process and how hard it is to get into. My friend is a police officer and he has a military background of 4 years + mall cop experience for a year and a half and he barely got the job. I don't have any military experience or mall cop experience so it's looking pretty slim for me. In terms of background experience..I got finger printed recently and the only thing that came up was one small accident with no one injured (5 mph bump in traffic) on my dmv record and nothing else. My criminal record is clean, BUT I did have a DUI (sitting in my car with alcohol 2 houses down from my street and moved an inch). It got expunged so It doesn't show up unless you look at my dmv record and see that my license got suspended, so i'm gonna have to explain that which lowers my chances..Anyways, I do plan to get a mall security job for 1-2 years before applying to LAPD; I'm physically fit, I have decent grades (i'll have my bachelors in CJ before I apply too), a hefty amount of communication sales experience, I'm gonna take the practice tests in Los Angeles (basically the real thing, written, oral and physical tests). I plan to take those over the next 1-2 years, then I should do exceptional on all of the tests for the real one, but the only thing holding me back is my background. What do you think my chances are?
      Last edited by Hyphen; 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM.

• Hyphen
      Hyphen commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, the reason why being a PI sounds more interesting is because I get to work Independently, but as I'm learning more about it from you guys I'm beginning to like being a police officer more. Lastly, in terms of getting hours for PI work is almost Impossible. You almost always need some type of prior experience and PI's are too busy to help noobies out with internship work. I mean I've applied on Indeed to several different intern offers, but no luck.
      Last edited by Hyphen; 03-14-2019, 12:24 PM.

This joker watches WAAAAAAYYY too much television
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• Hyphen
      Hyphen commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, true. I should probably chill on the television shows. Dreams gotta start somewhere though right?

*Not a Cop*

For the UK part, you should try to get over there so that you can research what it takes to be a PI. If you are in college, try a studies abroad program in the UK and/or doing a summer internship there in a company, organization or non-profit in fields related to criminal justice (e.g. sex trafficking, missing children, etc.). Once you're over there, do a bunch of informational interviews. It would be easier to approach people for these types of interviews if you are affiliated with a school program or a company, rather than just walking off the street. For your criminal justice classes, if you have to write a paper, do one on comparative analysis of U.S. and UK approaches to some CJ aspects.

Don't worry about naysayers. They are God/Universe's way of testing just how much you want to pursue your dream. They also give things to consider and look into.

Comment

• CCCSD
      CCCSD commented
      Editing a comment
      So...you’re an expert then on all this?

You have ZERO idea what you are talking about. Zero.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Okay thanks for the information. I realize I sound really naive, but I am more aware than you think about the hiring process and how hard it is to get into. My friend is a police officer and he has a military background of 4 years + mall cop experience for a year and a half and he barely got the job. I don't have any military experience or mall cop experience so it's looking pretty slim for me.
      Mall cop experience counts for next to nothing in and of itself. In fact, it sometimes carries a stigma. Mall cops are often seen as 'whackers' (wannabe cops) thanks to the fact that many do tell people that they "basically [are] a cop." Military experience is not a shoe-in for the job either, unless you're in a state where civil service laws dictate "absolute preference" for veterans (that is, all veterans who applied have to be considered for an opening before non-vets are given any look). Honestly, if you can sell yourself and why your education, life experience, and professional experience have made you the best candidate for the job, you stand a chance.

In terms of background experience..I got finger printed recently and the only thing that came up was one speeding ticket on my dmv record and nothing else. My criminal record is clean, BUT I did have a DUI (sitting in my car with alcohol 2 houses down from my street and moved an inch). It got expunged so It doesn't show up unless you look at my dmv record and see that my license got suspended, so i'm gonna have to explain that which lowers my chances..Anyways, I do plan to get a mall security job for 1-2 years before applying to LAPD; I'm physically fit, I have decent grades (i'll have my bachelors in CJ before I apply too), a hefty amount of communication sales experience, I'm gonna take the practice tests in Los Angeles (basically the real thing, written, oral and physical tests). I plan to take those over the next 1-2 years, then I should do exceptional on all of the tests for the real one, but the only thing holding me back is my background. What do you think my chances are?
      A CJ degree is going to count for very little in most places. It does nothing but give you talking points on your oral board. Just a degree in something is usually all you need. Also, unless LAPD has put up a requirement of 1 to 2 years of experience in a related field in order to apply, just put in your application as soon as you meet the minimum qualifications. Don't think you're really building a resume by being a mall cop. Again, security experience is not likely to help you much more than being a waiter or retail salesman.

Second, as I said before, the hiring process is fraught with frustration and constant rejection. Don't limit yourself to LAPD; you might not get it. Apply to LASD, Long Beach, Pasadena, Beverly Hills...pretty much any department in LA County. Don't just limit yourself to LA County either; go for anywhere in Socal that you're willing to move. Look at other parts of the state and the country too if you're willing to move.

Third, the DUI is going to be a red flag. Expungement doesn't mean squat to most police departments. You're going to be required to disclose it even if it was erased. They can find even expunged records. Explain it without excuses and hope for the best.
      Also, you said you were in your car in someone's driveway, and you were stopped after moving only an "inch". I wouldn't explain it that way to a background investigator; they're not going to buy it and, frankly, I don't buy it either.
      Last edited by GangGreen712; 03-14-2019, 11:44 PM.
      -Chris Rock

Comment

• Hyphen
        Hyphen commented
        Editing a comment
        Well by the end of next year I will have three associate degrees, so that should definitely help right? It will be in Liberal Arts, Psychology of behavioral science and ADT for transfer in Criminal Justice. So I'll apply once my first associates degree is in (which is by the end of next semester). Yes the DUI sounds very mitigated, but it's not. I can see why you don't believe me, but it is on the police's statement and is the main reason the jury expunged it. My driving record seems to be pretty ****ty...I also have a small accident on it (more like a bump in traffic), but overall my plan is to emphasize on how much I've changed since then. How that was the "stupid me" Not me anymore at all, (DUI was 5 years ago) and how I've learned from it grown/personally developed into a better more mature individual. I'm going to literally write a well explained paragraph and rehearse it
        Last edited by Hyphen; 03-15-2019, 02:43 PM.

Well by the end of next year I will have three associate degrees, so that should definitely help right? It will be in Liberal Arts, Psychology of behavioral science and ADT for transfer in Criminal Justice. So I'll apply once my first associates degree is in (which is by the end of next semester). Yes the DUI sounds very mitigated, but it's not. I can see why you don't believe me, but it is on the police's statement and is the main reason the jury expunged it. My driving record seems to be pretty ****ty...I also have a small accident on it (more like a bump in traffic), but overall my plan is to emphasize on how much I've changed since then. How that was the "stupid me" Not me anymore at all, (DUI was 5 years ago) and how I've learned from it grown/personally developed into a better more mature individual. I'm going to literally write a well explained paragraph and rehearse it
      College degrees only help in terms of meeting minimum requirements. How many degrees and in what are going to count for absolutely nothing when it comes to determining if you are the right man for the job. I can guaran-frickin-tee that.

As far as your driving record, a bump in traffic and a single speeding ticket probably won't be issues at all, especially with time.

Yes, always emphasize how you've changed since a serious incident. But understand that a DUI is still going to be a red flag. A lot of departments are basically just going to say, "DUI? We're just going to stop you right there. No, don't waste your time explaining. Hit the bricks and don't come back." There may be a department willing to take a chance on that somewhere, but be prepared for it to be a stumbling block with a lot of places.
      -Chris Rock

Comment

• Hyphen
        Hyphen commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to keep trying no matter what. Thanks for your help sir.

I also think most PIs are 1099s, so they have to be responsible for doing their taxes each year, as the taxes are not automatically withdrawn, but if anyone knows better, please correct me.
      Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
      Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Well by the end of next year I will have three associate degrees, so that should definitely help right? It will be in Liberal Arts, Psychology of behavioral science and ADT for transfer in Criminal Justice. So I'll apply once my first associates degree is in (which is by the end of next semester).
        Just out of curiosity, what would possess you to get three associates degrees? You probably would have been better off getting a bachelors degree with a double major if you were split between two different degree programs. Three associates degrees are unlikely to get you any more than one would have in LE (and potentially less than a bachelors would).
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Still trying to figure out what "police hours" are...

Comment

Or enrolling in a police agency...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Still trying to figure out what "police hours" are...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7004 users online. 267 members and 6737 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X