Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And we recently had an OD using vaped morphine.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      And we recently had an OD using vaped morphine.
      Speaking of which, here we have decades of politicizing marijuana as a gateway drug with some very questionable proofs cited while very real gateway drugs, opioids, leading to thousands of deaths, is legally being handed out like candy.
      US Center for Disease Control and Prevention: Fentanyl and other opioids were involved in nearly three-fourths of all cocaine overdose deaths and an increasing number of methamphetamine deaths.

Comment

And how many dopers started with weed..?
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• BetteNoireX
          BetteNoireX commented
          Editing a comment
          #1 gateway drug is alcohol

Originally posted by BetteNoireX View Post

Speaking of which, here we have decades of politicizing marijuana as a gateway drug with some very questionable proofs cited while very real gateway drugs, opioids, leading to thousands of deaths, is legally being handed out like candy.
        US Center for Disease Control and Prevention: Fentanyl and other opioids were involved in nearly three-fourths of all cocaine overdose deaths and an increasing number of methamphetamine deaths.
        I'm sure the "legally-prescribed opioid painkiller leads to heroin addiction" thing has some merit for certain people, but not as much as I think it's being played up to be. I remember before heroin hit hard, the biggest problems we had were meth, pill poppers, and doctor-shoppers (the last two having an inherent link).

The doctor-shoppers would come up with any illness (the most common was "back pain") to get their local doctor or ER to prescribe then painkillers. Did they have a pre-existing condition that got them hooked or were they just playing the system to get their fix? Dunno, that's a chicken-and-egg scenario (though I strongly suspect that, for many of them, it was the latter). Others (pill-poppers) bought the pills illegally (usually from doctor-shoppers) and got high. I work in a small city and, like most small city cops, I know my clientele...these were people without pre-existing medical issues just getting high. Pills don't have the same stigma of drug abuse as something like meth, so you see alot of middle and upper class clientele mixed in with the "regulars" with pills...and they moved to heroin when the ER's stopped giving away pills and the doctors started losing their licenses for over-prescribing.

The thing is, many of these were former meth addicts who had switched over to pills when the law made getting the ingredients for cooking meth (very big in my area...everybody cooked, very few bought) got stricter and the chances of getting busted increased. Today, I'm seeing the same with heroin...we're hitting opioids hard, so the switch is back to meth (now purchased).
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8545 users online. 378 members and 8167 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X