Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S D Charger Girlfriend convicted-Tried to run down off-duty cop

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...-1m27gaut.html

DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO – She may not have known he was a police officer, but Lisa Maree Gaut's actions put him in danger during a confrontation in a darkened Poway cul-de-sac five months ago, a jury decided.

That's why the jury chose to convict Gaut of a felony assault charge for driving toward off-duty Coronado Officer Aaron Mansker, while acquitting her of the more serious charge of assault on a peace officer.

Yesterday the panel of eight men and four women announced the verdict it reached Wednesday after four days of deliberations: Gaut was found guilty of assault with a deadly weapon – an Oldsmobile – and drunken driving.

The confrontation took place early Sept. 3, when Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was shot by Mansker, who said he followed the pair from San Diego because he suspected Foley was driving drunk.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Charles Rogers scheduled a sentencing hearing for June 22, when Gaut, who is now free on $35,000 bail, could be sent to prison for more than four years.

Her sentence may be influenced by what happens in a felony case pending in Northern California, prosecutors said. She was arrested in July 2004 in Solano County and charged with driving a stolen vehicle and receiving stolen property.

Gaut fought back tears while her attorney, Raymond Vecchio, spoke with reporters after the verdict. Gaut remains free on $35,000 bail.
    Outside the courtroom, prosecutor James Koerber said he was pleased with the verdict, noting that the jurors clearly believed Mansker's testimony.
    Gaut, 26, had tears in her eyes as she stood by her lawyer, Raymond Vecchio, who spoke to reporters. Vecchio said the outcome of the case might have been different if Foley had testified. “Shame on Mr. Foley, quite frankly. He disappeared,” Vecchio said.

Foley, 31, faces misdemeanor drunken driving charges and is scheduled to go to trial May 7. His attorney, John “Jack” Phillips, did not return a call seeking comment.

However, one of Foley's civil lawyers – Jordan Cohen – said in an interview that Foley had been advised not to testify because he is still under threat of criminal prosecution. Had he been subpoenaed, he would have invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, Cohen said.

Foley, who the Chargers released in February, has sued the city of Coronado and Mansker.

A few jurors said outside the courtroom that they had little trouble deciding whether Gaut was guilty of misdemeanor drunken driving. Her blood alcohol level was 0.15 percent a few hours after her arrest, according to the testimony.

They also didn't take long to acquit Gaut of assault on a peace officer.

“We actually decided that issue pretty quickly, after an hour's debate or less,” said juror Art Mills. “He didn't show the badge.”

But the jurors said there was much more debate over whether Gaut had driven Foley's 1971 customized Oldsmobile Cutlass in a way that endangered Mansker. After spending several hours reviewing an expert witness's testimony, they reached their decision.

“We concluded that she had turned in his direction,” Mills said.

The jurors said a court-arranged trip to Travertine Court, where the shooting occurred, was particularly helpful.

“That was just a complete eye-opener because you see these pictures,” said juror Debby Dreischmeyer. “The pictures are kind of blown up, and then when you actually get there and see how small it really is.”

Mansker, 24, testified that he followed Foley and Gaut from the Balboa Park area to Poway after seeing Foley driving erratically on state Route 163. Mansker said he radioed a dispatcher from his black Mazda to ask for assistance and continued to follow Foley's car.

He said he had several confrontations with Foley after both cars got off Interstate 15 at Pomerado Road. When they reached Travertine Court, Foley got out of his car and approached the officer, Mansker testified. That's when the officer decided to give up and drive away, he said, but he soon realized he had driven into a cul-de-sac.

When he turned around, he saw Foley walking up the hill with Gaut – now driving the Oldsmobile – following slowly behind, he said.

Mansker said he fired a warning shot into a dirt berm, and Gaut drove the car straight at the officer. He fired at the hood of the Oldsmobile, which passed behind him before crashing into a curb.

Mansker said Foley continued to approach and reached for his waistband, as if for a gun. The officer fired, wounding Foley in the knee, hip and hand. Foley was unarmed.

Gaut, who is unemployed and lives in Linda Vista, testified that she got behind the wheel of Foley's car only after he had been shot. She said she was trying to come to his aid, but had trouble driving the car.

I wouldn't call her his girlfriend......

I was happy to see the jurors comment on how Foley and Gaut both had cell phones, but neither one called 911 at any point during the encounter.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
      I wouldn't call her his girlfriend......
      What would you call her??????

Also, what's she doing in that picture? It looks like she is picking her nose with her thumb.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post

Also, what's she doing in that picture? It looks like she is picking her nose with her thumb.
        Gaut fought back tears while her attorney, Raymond Vecchio, spoke with reporters after the verdict. Gaut remains free on $35,000 bail.

Comment

OK, Thanks. I wasn't aware that sticking your thumb up your nose helps to fight back the tears. I'll try it some time.
          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Those aren't tears, those are: "Quick! Let me look like I give a **** about any of this, publicity tears."
            Considerably.....

83.9 on the Jeff Co. test! Woohoo!

Comment

[QUOTE=SlowDownThere;865083]What would you call her??????QUOTE]

It's probably best described as a one night stand that never happenned

Comment

647b.... (Ca code for prostitute)
                Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Originally posted by nobody33 View Post
                  647b.... (Ca code for prostitute)

Yep...girlfriend by the hour. There was a reason why Foley or his friends/family didnt bail her out of jail and she sat there for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by xraodcop View Post
                    When he turned around, he saw Foley walking up the hill with Gaut – now driving the Oldsmobile – following slowly behind, he said.

Mansker said he fired a warning shot into a dirt berm
                    Ok, now, maybe I am dumb, by why the heck did he fire a warning shot?

Rule of thumb: if I am driving, and you are on foot shooting at me, I will try to run your *** down into the ground; cop or not. My live is more valuable to me than yours, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                      Ok, now, maybe I am dumb, by why the heck did he fire a warning shot?

Rule of thumb: if I am driving, and you are on foot shooting at me, I will try to run your *** down into the ground; cop or not. My live is more valuable to me than yours, period.
                      Foley was wasted and didn't think it was a real gun. So he fired a warning shot. Foley still refused to comply and got shot. This was rehashed in some other threads. It was a legit shoot per the DA, and the officer is back on patrol.

Comment

I'm still confused by the warning shot...legit shooting or not...thought that we no longer do those as most departmental policies prohibit that. Just thinking out loud.
                        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                          I'm still confused by the warning shot...legit shooting or not...thought that we no longer do those as most departmental policies prohibit that. Just thinking out loud.
                          That, and was he in uniform in his POV? Blue Lights? Sirens? If not, I know I wouldn't have stopped...

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

[QUOTE=xdrcx;865211]
                            What would you call her??????QUOTE]

It's probably best described as a one night stand that never happenned
                            Or another reason for the reckless driving.
                            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                              In this region we can shoot a warning shot under the same circumstances as a deadly shot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2798 users online. 157 members and 2641 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X