Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting Family from Criminals?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Protecting Family from Criminals?

    Hey there,

    I decided to post this thread here, instead of the Family Matters forum - because this isn't a family based thread.

    How do officers protect their families, when some scrumbag threatens their families..and are more than capable of carrying out those threats??

    We've had problems here in Canada, especially out in BC, where criminals who are linked to organized crime threaten to harm police officer's families. How does a police officer cope with that? How can families be protected against some of these scumbags?? (My solution is simple, but illegal - go figure).

    Any thoughts on this, anybody?? (Also, if by asking for a reply to this topic, I am somehow crossing the line somehow, I do apologize. Still new to this forum.)

  • #2
    most times you can add that as a charge , and the DA can taek that along with the other charges and go from there.

    just a thought. make notes, and make sure that YOU dont cross the line.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

    Comment


    • #3
      Honey, I just bought you a gift. Point that end at the bad guy, and pull the trigger. Two to the chest, one to the head, followed by all the rest wherever makes you happiest or until he stops moving, whichever comes last.

      Here's the rules for whether or not to shoot: if he/she is in the house and you didn't let them in, shoot them.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jakflak View Post
        Honey, I just bought you a gift. Point that end at the bad guy, and pull the trigger. Two to the chest, one to the head, followed by all the rest wherever makes you happiest or until he stops moving, whichever comes last.

        Here's the rules for whether or not to shoot: if he/she is in the house and you didn't let them in, shoot them.
        Sadly, I think that is as good as it gets. Teach your family to protect themselves. It probably helps if you don't have a take-home squad car and you don't wear your uniform outside of work, but only so much.

        That is one (of many) reasons I would never get into law enforcement. I don't want my job to impact my family like that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Make sure you document any and everything said. Where I am, if they make a threat like that towards me or my family and I see them out in public walking towards me, I'm justified in using whatever force necessary to protect myself, my daughter or my wife. If I have good documentation as to what was said and how many times it was said, then I have nothing to worry about.
          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
            Sadly, I think that is as good as it gets. Teach your family to protect themselves. It probably helps if you don't have a take-home squad car and you don't wear your uniform outside of work, but only so much.

            That is one (of many) reasons I would never get into law enforcement. I don't want my job to impact my family like that.
            I told her that before I became a cop.

            I have no hesitation getting a protective order if someone even hints at a threat to me or my family at home. With the order, if he/she even shows up at the house I'll arrest them. I don't have to wait for them to do something bad.

            Comment


            • #7
              One disadvantage you have up there is you can't carry your gun off-duty. Here in the US I have it ready at home and frequently carry it off-duty.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                Make sure you document any and everything said. Where I am, if they make a threat like that towards me or my family and I see them out in public walking towards me, I'm justified in using whatever force necessary to protect myself, my daughter or my wife. If I have good documentation as to what was said and how many times it was said, then I have nothing to worry about.
                +1. I see you and I said the same thing. and image that, we are both in texas.
                ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                Oscar Wilde

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                  Honey, I just bought you a gift. Point that end at the bad guy, and pull the trigger. Two to the chest, one to the head, followed by all the rest wherever makes you happiest or until he stops moving, whichever comes last.

                  Here's the rules for whether or not to shoot: if he/she is in the house and you didn't let them in, shoot them.
                  *and waits for the anti gun people to say something stupid*

                  Personally I like it.
                  ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                  Oscar Wilde

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Add to the above:

                    A dog - at least 50 lbs. and preferrably not too friendly. It's good if he'll bark at strangers too. If you don't want a dog then go the cheap route like me and just put up signs that are easy to see that say: "Beware of Dog".

                    A burglar alarm or at least signs that say you have one.

                    Expensive locks on the doors backed up w/ metal plates that can't be kicked in as easily as the average door. Back up the hinges too.

                    Motion lights covering a 360 degree perimeter around the house.

                    Fake video surveillance cameras in plain view near doors or other points of entry.

                    Spanish Bayonett or other sharp pointed plants planted beneath windows to discourage entry.

                    A CCW for the wife and time on the range. Have someone else train her.

                    Several cans of pepper spray - one in the truck, one near the front door, one near the back door, one in the bedroom, etc...

                    These things aren't done because I'm a LEO who fears retribution by any dirt-bag so much as they're everyday things I recommend to most people who have any concerns about becoming prey for predators.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Camo Cop View Post
                      Add to the above:

                      A dog - at least 50 lbs. and preferrably not too friendly. It's good if he'll bark at strangers too. If you don't want a dog then go the cheap route like me and just put up signs that are easy to see that say: "Beware of Dog".

                      A burglar alarm or at least signs that say you have one.

                      Expensive locks on the doors backed up w/ metal plates that can't be kicked in as easily as the average door. Back up the hinges too.

                      Motion lights covering a 360 degree perimeter around the house.

                      Fake video surveillance cameras in plain view near doors or other points of entry.

                      Spanish Bayonett or other sharp pointed plants planted beneath windows to discourage entry.

                      A CCW for the wife and time on the range. Have someone else train her.

                      Several cans of pepper spray - one in the truck, one near the front door, one near the back door, one in the bedroom, etc...

                      These things aren't done because I'm a LEO who fears retribution by any dirt-bag so much as they're everyday things I recommend to most people who have any concerns about becoming prey for predators.
                      A lot of great ideas. I have to ask, why did you say not to train the wife yourself?

                      Comment

                      MR300x250 Tablet

                      Collapse

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 4436 users online. 278 members and 4158 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                      Welcome Ad

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X