300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Halloween Beating in Long Beach

This story was posted last year, at the time it looked like they would not file "hate crime" charges.

Black youths offered deals in Long Beach beating case

ASSOCIATED PRESS

April 26, 2007

LONG BEACH – Two black youths accused of taking part in the Halloween mob beatings of three white women would spend a few months in custody if they pleaded guilty to assault, a prosecutor said.

The 15-year-old Jordan High School students were offered a pretrial deal Monday in Inglewood, where their case is being heard.

They would spend no more than three months each in the California Youth Authority if they pleaded guilty to one count each of assault by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury, prosecutor Andrea Bouas said. The pleas would carry special allegations that the attack was a hate crime and caused great bodily injury.
    Negotiations continued, however.

“The mother of one of these young men came up with a counteroffer: She does not want her son to admit to a hate crime because she does not view her family as hateful people,” Bouas said.

“The hate-crime charge carries a stigma,” said Stephen Bolinger, a court-appointed attorney for one of the youths. “They would carry that with them for the rest of their lives.”

The case stemmed from last year's Halloween attack in the city's affluent Bixby Knolls section, noted for its elaborate Halloween decorations. Witnesses said black youths yelled racial insults and beat two 19-year-old white women and a 21-year-old.

One woman had more than a dozen facial fractures and is recovering from reconstruction surgery. A second was knocked unconscious and beaten with a skateboard, punched and kicked.

In January, eight Long Beach girls and one man, ages 13 to 18, were convicted of felony assault, and eight of them also were convicted of a hate-crime enhancement. They were sentenced to probation and house arrest after spending about three months in custody during their trials. Charges were dropped against a 10th defendant.

The lack of jail time has prompted a recall campaign against Long Beach Superior Court Judge Gibson Lee.

“No amount of time will make up for what happened,” Scott Bailey of the accountability group Government for the People said this week.

Family members of the convicted youths also have called for Lee's recall and said they intended to sue Long Beach for civil rights violations.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]Family members of the convicted youths also have called for Lee's recall and said they intended to sue Long Beach for civil rights violations.

Wait... WHAT?

Comment

“The hate-crime charge carries a stigma,” said Stephen Bolinger, a court-appointed attorney for one of the youths. “They would carry that with them for the rest of their lives.”
      And the assault charge wouldn't?

Comment

typical irresponsibility to accept the consequences of their own actions and the actions of their family memebers.

Comment

Just the act itself IS a hate crime, a human being beating another human being. I am not sure what they're smoking down in Cali., but it seems to me the prosecutor does not want to do his job and go after the thugs.

For the mother to say that the family doesn't view her family as hateful but the actions of thugs that beat the two women seem to contradict the mother's statements and quite stupid.

Comment

I "hate" crime

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I guess the action line is the recall... well, the opposing side has filed suit claiming that the kids should have had the right to a jury trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxgguy2001 View Post
                I guess the action line is the recall... well, the opposing side has filed suit claiming that the kids should have had the right to a jury trial.
                I think all but one were charged as juveniles - where there is no jury.

I guess they should have demanded they be charged as adults?
                Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4685 users online. 273 members and 4412 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X