300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credentials for carrying LEOSA (ret)

Gents, I'm a retired FLEO, who received my retired-stamped creds and a "good standing" 926c letter (with my photo on it) when I retired as an 1811. I have been qualifying with my state's police training center the last couple years and I am issued a new LEOSA card/Photo ID by my state (with qual date) each time. I've always carried that card, and my retired creds when armed. The state's LEOSA card notes that it's only valid along with my/a Agency's photo ID (it does not say "cred" or anything)--meaning whatever my old agency gave me when I retired. Frankly, after decades of carrying around the large "federal creds" (3x5 almost, top and bottom), I'd really like to go minimalist. I've never been stopped or pulled over or anything, but wondering what everyone else is doing as far as carrying, when you have a "good standing" (with photo) letter? Do you think it would be sufficient to carry my State LEOSA card (which has my photo) and my 926 Federal Agency letter (which has my photo), only? Folded into my wallet carrier? I have a small ID holder with the FLEOA badge (ID wallet is labeled "retired" not that that means much). My thinking is my Good Statnding 926c photo/letter along with my State Photo ID, that has my qual date noted, is sufficient. Or do you think I have to have my retired creds instead (or also) in addition to my state card? I know that when I was a cop, before becoming a fed, if I saw the State-issued ID, I'd probably let it roll, if you had an agency photo ID also (even a letter). Thoughts?

What does the law/agency policy state? That’s your answer.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I don't think my prior agency's policy has much to do with it. The law just says it has to be a photo ID issued by your agency, which the 926 "letter" (document) is. It has my photo and states explicitly my 926c authorization. Then I have the State LEOSA Card/Qual. When I first set my up annual shoots for the state, while the retired creds were nice, they actually went by the 926c (Good Standing) letter. Was curious if anyone out there is carrying around something similar, in lieu of retirement creds, along with a State LEOSA card.

Comment

Do you think it would be sufficient to carry my State LEOSA card (which has my photo) and my 926 Federal Agency letter (which has my photo), only? Folded into my wallet carrier? I have a small ID holder with the FLEOA badge (ID wallet is labeled "retired" not that that means much). My thinking is my Good Statnding 926c photo/letter along with my State Photo ID, that has my qual date noted, is sufficient. Or do you think I have to have my retired creds instead (or also) in addition to my state card? I know that when I was a cop, before becoming a fed, if I saw the State-issued ID, I'd probably let it roll, if you had an agency photo ID also (even a letter). Thoughts?

Seems a lot simpler just to have a CPL....
        One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Having retired (LEO) in one state and receiving my H.R. 218 card, I moved to another state. You have to adhere to the state standard of your state of residence. Fortunately, or not my second career is in LE, so I have a few years before this becomes an issue, but have given it some research. My former state granted lifetime in state personal protection permits (CCW) to retired LEO's, you might look into that. I have my letter issued for (lifetime permit) by my old agency, but am no longer a resident of that state, I never applied for the lifetime permit due to second career. Like previously mentioned, a CCW seems to be simplest, although you would have to follow reciprocity agreements. From Arizona DPS:

"The legislation requires retired law enforcement officers to meet the active duty standards for qualification with a firearm in the State where they reside. Retired officers must qualify at their own expense through an authorized Arizona LEOSA Instructor and, once they do, submit an application, documentation and fee to the CWPU. Once approved, the CWPU will issue a certificate of firearm proficiency and the retiree will be able to carry the type of firearm (semi-auto, revolver or both) with which they have been qualified under the provisions of H.R. 218. Retired officers must carry this certificate in addition to the photographic identification issued by their former law enforcement agency."

https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp

Comment

Yes, seems like my 926c Letter (former agency cert that I am qualified under HR-218, better known federally as 18 USC 926c), which has my photo, would be sufficient along with my state LEOSA card. It's an affirmative defense law, so most likely, if you are involved in a shooting, your status will not really be in question (provided you are up to date on your qualification at the range, which in my case, is issued on my card). I haven't been on patrol in ages and I am not sure what they are teaching now, so the main issue is if I am pulled over, avoiding the hassle of having to explain that the State LEOSA card and my agency issued "photo ID" (926c Letter) is enough. Can't imagine a patrol officer or trooper questioning it if you have a state ID especially. But...who knows.

Comment

Looking at the LEOSA sections particular to your question (Below), it doesn't identify as it actually being your former LEO creds and it appears the 926c letter has what the LEOSA is dictating....I would inquire to your former agency CDC or your agencies association/union to see if your former agency has ever explained what their policy is.

But, with all the different federal credentials out there, I can see the officer looking at the state LEOSA card for any confirmation.

§ 926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified retired law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

========

(d) The identification required by this subsection is--

(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and

(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met--

Comment

Yes, to me, it seems that the Letter is sufficient under (2)(A), and of course, I actually have that status (beyond being arrested), I doubt with all the other LEOSA arrests being thrown out and sued over, any department is anxious to arrest someone with such a detailed letter (copy for carry) and the state LEOSA card, which, other than fraud, you can only get if you have the proper paperwork, which they (the state) go over with a fine tooth comb. The original letter is in my file, and I carry a copy. Thing with former/retired creds is too, it's the only set you will ever get. LEOSA is relatively new enough (15 years) that eventually a question will come up about 65 year olds needed a "replacement" set for the ones they got at 50, etc. I dunno. A trooper I talked to about LEOSA in general--he was in their training division--basically indicated they've been advised that its a radioactive issue now and they basically are not challenging anything that appears legit (like a state ID plus something). Although not the same situation, when a judge thru out the Coast Guard Reservist case (wasn't even Active Duty if I recall correctly)-that probably sent a message to departments.

Comment

Better safe than sorry, check with your former agency legal. If you travel outside the state you have your LEOSA card from, I would carry your retired creds. It's too bad your agency creds are so big, my fed TFO creds are also the 3X5 and a pain to carry and keep them in my notebook, unless travelling outside of my state.

Comment

Police One does a good job of keeping up with LEOSA changes and court cases.

https://www.policeone.com/leosa/

Comment

Kraut, yep you know what I mean. What's TFO by the way (Task Force Off). Who were you with?

I see that 6015 died with the last congress. They could pass a law to help convicted felons but not to improve LEOSA. Tells you all you need to know about the supposed "law and order" party--and I'm not even trying to get political. They had both houses and the presidency and could not pass a reasonable LEOSA reform act (allowing carry in national parks for example), but could take time to appease folks who've been to prison.

Comment

PM inbound

Comment

I retired in Virginia, and moved to Florida. I qualify once a year with a local agency, shooting the FLDE Firearms Qual. Send a copy of the scoresheet to my old agency, who issues a new card.

Stopped once on I75 in GA, showed the deputy my creds, he said have a nice day, and that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by phillyrube View Post
                            I retired in Virginia, and moved to Florida. I qualify once a year with a local agency, shooting the FLDE Firearms Qual. Send a copy of the scoresheet to my old agency, who issues a new card.

Stopped once on I75 in GA, showed the deputy my creds, he said have a nice day, and that was that.
                            Do you carry anything else, like your retired creds, retired badge, etc? or just the agency-issued card?

Comment

Originally posted by ChristIsKing432 View Post

Do you carry anything else, like your retired creds, retired badge, etc? or just the agency-issued card?
                              Depends. Always carry the LEOSA card and agency ID. No shield.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13229 users online. 457 members and 12772 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X