X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orangebottle
    started a topic Government shut-down and its impact on LE

Government shut-down and its impact on LE

What, if any, impact is anyone at the state/local level seeing as a result of partial government shut-down?

• Exbpa340
    commented on 's reply
    I’m in the same area....home prices in the 500K range. Can be difficult but fortunately for me my wife has a decent job and will help greatly during this time. I have a little bit of a cushion but also live an expensive lifestyle.

• Pogue Mahone
    commented on 's reply
    I'm actually in the CA04 congressional district. And it's not always easy to squirrel away money here, either... especially during the shutdown.

• RGDS
    commented on 's reply
    Yea squirreling away on a single paycheck in Silicon Valley isn’t easy.

• Pogue Mahone
    replied
    I was going to squirrel away money, but I had too many squirrel moments....

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    commented on 's reply
    I’m still figuring it out. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks...

• phillyrube
    replied
    Every financial advisor out there will tell you to squirrel away 6 months of salary, "just in case". I had guys driving the most expensive cars, working 40 hours of part time a week, and burning all the leave they earned. Guys riding fast bikes. What happens if you wreck? "I'll sue the other guy." Takes 2 years to get results, what will you do in the meantime? "Work light duty." Ok, if the department allows it. Some won't. "Get leave through the leave bank." Guess what, they look at your leave history and if you are a poor user, that gets turned down.

I feel for the guys not getting paid. Too bad Congress gets a fat paycheck every 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    You utter failure.

Leave a comment:

• J2H
    commented on 's reply
    How is the Fire stick?

• retired137
    replied
    The Dunning–Kruger effect in all it's glory has just been perfectly demonstrated by the last poster. He couldn't understand that a post was not about Trump, it was about said party......them IQ skills need to be brushed up.
    BTW I won't be responding back.
    Last edited by retired137; 01-18-2019, 07:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Originally posted by retired137 View Post
    misdirection: [mass noun] the action or process of directing someone to the wrong place or in the wrong direction: ‘the deliberate misdirection that had put me off the track’

deflection: [mass noun] the action or process of deflecting or being deflected

deflect: cause (someone) to deviate from an intended purpose

obfuscation: [mass noun] the action of making something obscure, unclear, or unintelligible: ‘when confronted with sharp questions they resort to obfuscation’
    And this is ALL Trumps fault? You’re a moron. Really.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Field notes, Day 28:

All things considered, morale among the rank and file has been pretty good (there is some relief in knowing others are in the same boat). However, a certain morose is setting in and the general mood sags a little more everyday. It's getting harder to be motivated and stay focused.

The OGs who are nearing eligibility are leaning towards leaving, not staying, when that day arrives. Frequent indignancies in this line of work are par for course; this one is a game changer though.

Conversations have morphed into discussions about where to get a free lunch (quite a few places are now offering comped meals), about what the grub is like at food pantries (off-brand canned goods and limp produce), about how many more payless paydays can be absorbed before rainy day funds run dry (the consensus is two), about how to file a financial hardship withdrawal with TSP.

One previous co-worked called this morning, in tears. The shutdown was one of several stressors she was dealing with.

At home, we're cutting costs. Cable is being cancelled and replaced with Sling TV on the Firestick. $75 savings a month right there.

No more eating out, movies, or taking the kids to the bounce house or indoor waterpark. Those might seem trivial but deep winter is settling in and getting out of the house is a huge break when it's frigid outside.

The worst part- the uncertainty of when it will end. People frequently check news apps only to find nothing is underway to resolve the matter. No plans of negotiations, no prospect of an emergency declaration. Just insults and pettiness.

Today I read that the next political pressure point won't be until March, when the food stamp program runs out of funds. That's six weeks away.

I'll update again next week.

Leave a comment:

• retired137
    replied

misdirection: [mass noun] the action or process of directing someone to the wrong place or in the wrong direction: ‘the deliberate misdirection that had put me off the track’

deflection: [mass noun] the action or process of deflecting or being deflected

deflect: cause (someone) to deviate from an intended purpose

obfuscation: [mass noun] the action of making something obscure, unclear, or unintelligible: ‘when confronted with sharp questions they resort to obfuscation’

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    8 years of Obama...

Leave a comment:

• retired137
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    It’s all Trumps fault...right? How about the Dems get off their agenda laden butts and ok the wall.
    Republicans had the power for two years, owning both the house and senate, to fund a wall across the southern border. They didn't do it. Now it's the blame game.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12633 users online. 408 members and 12225 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X