300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government shut-down and its impact on LE

What, if any, impact is anyone at the state/local level seeing as a result of partial government shut-down?

Don’t think state or local departments would see any impact unless it turned into a full shutdown.

Comment

I have had people thank me for working without a paycheck and a few have expressed surprise that the State Courthouse was open during the shutdown.

My personal favorite is when people call non emergency on Monday and not 911 on Saturday when their house was being broken into because 911 is closed on the weekends.
      Last edited by RGDS; 01-11-2019, 08:13 PM.
      semper destravit

Comment

Our county sheriff's that house federal prisoners in their jails are not getting paid. None of them are planning on any real impact unless the shutdown lasts for several months.

The impact would be those sheriff's have budgeted expecting the income for those federal prisoners & the county treasurer won't be getting the checks to cover salary & supplies needed to run the jails
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

As a federal LEO not getting paid is impacting my life.
          1*

Comment

Originally posted by vdfnco View Post
            As a federal LEO not getting paid is impacting my life.
            And a lot of other people who put their arse on the line day after day....

It's becoming more apparent that the cruelty is intentional, all part of an effort to leverage employees and their families to make a political statement...

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

So which Federal LEO's are getting paid? I work near a Air Force Base that employees Air Force DOD Police, those guys said they are getting paid. They mentioned since their budget was set already. But I see that that other Fees are not, what gives?
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

It’s all Trumps fault...right? How about the Dems get off their agenda laden butts and ok the wall.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Department of Defense is one of the departments that was funded. Only a handful of small LE agencies are DOD (i.e.- NCIS, Army-CID, DCIS). The majority of agencies with 1811s, 083s, et. al. are in departments that were not funded.

I have no interest in getting partisan about this. Heaven knows there's plenty of that right now. And 200 miles of new barrier fence across the Texas shrub will cost less than the Dept of Agriculture spends on annual Valhalla onion subsidies. But the low dirty truth is thousands of people who have dedicated their careers to protecting this country are being used as pawns in a bizarre chess game with no end in sight. These are people of moderate means, and many live in expensive cities. That they are having to stand in line at a food bank to get a 25 pound box of food while still having to work (absolutely true situation) is a damn shame, and this chaos could end tomorrow if four people were to sit down and be reasonable. But it won't, at least not for awhile, and probably not until the situation gets much more dire.
                  One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

• Ratatatat
                    Ratatatat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Any BP or former BP have insight on how effective 200 miles of barrier fencing in Texas would be? Would crime and drugs plummet as being promised?

• CCCSD
                    CCCSD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Per BP interviewed by news, yes. CNN decided not to run that story, so it got buried.

You want to end this? Have every union slam their Dem official and declare ZERO endorsement or support.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                    Department of Defense is one of the departments that was funded. Only a handful of small LE agencies are DOD (i.e.- NCIS, Army-CID, DCIS). The majority of agencies with 1811s, 083s, et. al. are in departments that were not funded.

I have no interest in getting partisan about this. Heaven knows there's plenty of that right now. And 200 miles of new barrier fence across the Texas shrub will cost less than the Dept of Agriculture spends on annual Valhalla onion subsidies. But the low dirty truth is thousands of people who have dedicated their careers to protecting this country are being used as pawns in a bizarre chess game with no end in sight. These are people of moderate means, and many live in expensive cities. That they are having to stand in line at a food bank to get a 25 pound box of food while still having to work (absolutely true situation) is a damn shame, and this chaos could end tomorrow if four people were to sit down and be reasonable. But it won't, at least not for awhile, and probably not until the situation gets much more dire.
                    I spent almost a decade as a PA (BPA) and worked at numerous stations from San Diego to Douglas AZ. Not sure about the area the fence would be built in but it helped greatly in all the places that I worked. Also, when a new president is sworn in and orders immigration officers not to arrest 80 percent of the current illegal alien population (like Obama did). Dems call it prosecutorial discretion (PD). Well, you can’t PD the wall. Once built it is there for sometime at least.

Having said that... the number one thing that needs to change are these asinine asylum laws. Almost every alien arrested at the border that claims fear (99.9 percent of women and 100 percent of minors) are promptly released into the US. The mere claim of fear without a thread of proof is essentially a get out of jail free card for these people. Only around 5 percent of these aliens released into the US will ever be removed regardless of the outcome of their case. Since 2014 approximately 95 percent of family units and unaccompanied juveniles that were released into the US are still here.

I believe in the wall/barrier but the order of fixing the immigration system should be as follows:

1 - Fix Asylum Laws
                    2 - Hire hundreds more Immigration Judges
                    3 - Hire more Immigration Officers (BPAs and DOs)
                    4 - Expand/improve border fence/wall
                    “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

A long term impact at the state/local level for a long term shut down may be an increase in family disputes, shoplifting, etc. Nerves are frayed, people are hungry, and at the end of their rope.

Comment

• RGDS
                        RGDS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If I got called to a “shoplifting” call where the spouse and children of a Federal employee were suspects, I would clear no crime. I would advise the grocery store owner to keep detailed receipts and consult their tax preparer for possible reimbursement.

*I would also forward any actual report to Congress and state in the report “Congressionally caused incident”

We keep hearing about the wall, but that is a simplistic fix. As stated above, we need more substance to the issue. Yes, the wall can act a physical deterrent, but what about the laws and system as a whole? That's the big issue in my opinion. Overstaying Visa's, sanctuary cities, asylum claims. The overall immigration system is what really needs to be addressed. You can't build a wall and hold a mission accomplished press conference afterwards and be done with it.

Comment

FLEO here.

Working without pay is not ideal, but I’ll never let it affect how I do my job.

I knew shutdowns were possible when I was sworn in. I made a point to save for A few months worth of expenses for situations like this.

I know guys who are struggling with families; I feel for them.

Comment

Never live beyond your means.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5842 users online. 227 members and 5615 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X