X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratatatat
    started a topic Shutdown: Into Unchartered Waters We Go

Shutdown: Into Unchartered Waters We Go

Recent reports are indicating the current shutdown is nowhere close to resolution, and yesterday POTUS said it could go months, even years. Rhetoric aside, at websites like Politico and The Hill, pundits and politicians alike are predicting the impasse will not end anytime soon.

So far, the strain hasn't been terribly significant, other than trash is piling up at national parks and the outhouses are full. BUT... if this does drag on for months, what then?

No hiring. No applications for previous announcements are being reviewed. People currently in the pipeline are on indefinite hold.

No academy or other training.

No travel.

No expenditures. Not even oil changes for G-rides or paper for copy machines.

No one eligible to retire can do so, since no one in personnel is there to process the paperwork.

Courts grind to a halt as only a skeleton staff remain.

No paychecks. Now one or two pay cycles might not seem like a big deal, but month after month? TSA is already reporting 25% of employees are calling in sick at some airports, and the assumption is they are seeking day work. What happens in three months? Will that number be 90%?

Collecting unemployment ($400 a week max in most states) may be an option for those furloughed, but what about all the excepted service folks? CBP, BOP, 083s, 1811s etc. can't even apply for unemployment since they are not furloughed.

At what point does it hit critical mass, where large numbers of people simply walk away to gain whatever employment they can, because loyalty doesn't pay the mortgage or put food on the table.

Game plan this out, Worst Case Scenario....

• Pogue Mahone
    commented on 's reply
    Arm rm roasts & rump roasts are the best!

Sincerely,
    Jeffrey Dahmer

• Iowa #1603
    commented on 's reply
    Last night we had an arm roast . Put it in the crock pot about 1pm and added potatoes about 4. Went to 4H with the grandson and when we got home at 6 we were ready to eat

Getting some boneless pork chops out of the freezer to thaw this morning for supper tonight!!!

• not.in.MY.town
    commented on 's reply
    Now all I can think of is steak for dinner. We need a meat spin-off thread.

• merlin436
    replied
    I'll solve Trump's funding issue. I'll also make Mexico pay for it.

Trump is hanging tight with the wrong bunch of the immigration crowd.

What Trump ought to do is snuggle up to OFO.
    OFO is the second largest revenue generator in the federal government... collecting tens of billions each year for the government coffers.

Sweet-talk NTEU(OFO's union) into going along with a plan that places user fees/fines/penalties/etc. on every person, every vehicle, every transaction, seizure, etc. that crosses into/out of the US. Convince Canada to play along with revenue-sharing. Collect billions of additional revenue. Have said revenue legislatively directed to funding border improvements, like the wall. Bribe OFO employees with sufficient treats to entice them to play along...things like modernized ports, policy changes and a journeyman pay upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    I have absolutely no problem with cooking a piece of steak that is a bit brown or brown hamburger
    Experiences may vary. I recently bought a package of expired shaved roast beef that was a little on the brown side but didn't seem too funky. Boy, did it ever cause some damage....

2ef34z1122.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

Speaking of eating, this morning I went and got groceries for the week. In the meat aisle, there's a small section where they pile packages that should've sold yesterday. Everything is half off and sometimes you can find a half-decent steak for immediate grilling, but mostly it's brown hamburger and chicken bordering on rancid. My thought as I passed by: this pile might become one of those "adjustments."
    I normally buy this stuff................about 1/2 off of normal price and yep you need to either use or freeze by the next day or so.

I do this because the meat is cheap BUT still "good". Having a brother in law that worked as a Safeway butcher for 20 some years who described the difference between "best if used by" and "use by" I have absolutely no problem with cooking a piece of steak that is a bit brown or brown hamburger. One sniff when I am packaging it and you know if it is good or not. (HINT.......in the last 15 yrs of buying this stuff I have never got a bad piece of meat)

We have a "mom & pop" grocery store that is really proud of it's meat counter selling only Angus beef. He is EXPENSIVE on the steaks. I normally buy the sale meat there at 1/2 price................which makes it about the cost of the same meat that is not Angus at the Walmart . (HINT Walmart sells their meat the same way when they need to get rid of it)

NOW I normally GRILL my steaks which makes cooking it better

I have a pretty good freezer and a heavy duty vacuum seal machine so I ALWAYS have steak, chops and roasts in the basement ready to thaw.

Leave a comment:

• Exbpa340
    commented on 's reply
    *** Dems are in charge of the House not the Senate*****

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Originally posted by RGDS View Post

Isn’t that the 21 Century version of “let them eat cake”....
    Speaking of eating, this morning I went and got groceries for the week. In the meat aisle, there's a small section where they pile packages that should've sold yesterday. Everything is half off and sometimes you can find a half-decent steak for immediate grilling, but mostly it's brown hamburger and chicken bordering on rancid. My thought as I passed by: this pile might become one of those "adjustments."

Leave a comment:

• Bing_Oh
    replied
    I guess we can "what if" that worst-case scenarios, but it's highly unlikely that this shutdown is going to drag out for months, let alone years. The whole thing is a game of political chicken...Thump promised a border wall and said that he's gonna get it funded, while the Democrats are back in control of the Senate and have said they're not funding jack. The reality is, its not as much about the wall as it is about getting the other political party to blink and declare "victory."

The thing about chicken is, if neither one swerves, there's gotta be a crash. Most of those politicians in Congress don't want the "crash"...there comes a point that people get sick of party politics (especially when it starts to effect the people directly), and that means they get mad at their politicians. People who are mad at their politicians have this unpleasant tendency to vote them out of office, and we all know that being in those seats of power with their big paychecks and aides kissing their derrieres is the most important thing for any politician.

No, we'll start to see the more moderate members of both parties taking about compromise very openly and very soon. Before too long, it will reach a critical mass and a compromise funding bill will pass and both sides will say that they "won" and we'll be back to usual in Washington.

Leave a comment:

• reils49
    replied
    And this is why people on both sides don’t trust politicians.

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

Perhaps we should share possible "adjustments" that might come with having no income...

-Eat bark and moss. Bugs and snakes, if you're in the south.

-Snowshoe instead of drive. Bike ride and roller blade, if you're in the south.

-Cancel TV and internet. No O.com until situation is resolved. Deprive thousands of readers of deep wit and profound insights. ***and trolls and drunken tirades?****

-Stand at freeway offramp with sign stating, "Will work for free. Always do."

-Spruce up resume. Ask self, "when was the last time truck drivers, roofers, nurses, bartenders, etc. were expected to "make adjustments"?
    Isn’t that the 21 Century version of “let them eat cake”....

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Speaking to reporters outside the White House on Sunday morning, Trump said he understood the predicament facing hundreds of thousands of federal workers who are not receiving their paychecks.

I can relate, and I’m sure the people who are on the receiving end will make adjustments; they always do,” Trump said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ek/2019/01/06/

Perhaps we should share possible "adjustments" that might come with having no income...

-Eat bark and moss. Bugs and snakes, if you're in the south.

-Snowshoe instead of drive. Bike ride and roller blade, if you're in the south.

-Cancel TV and internet. No O.com until situation is resolved. Deprive thousands of readers of deep wit and profound insights.

-Stand at freeway offramp with sign stating, "Will work for free. Always do."

-Spruce up resume. Ask self, "when was the last time truck drivers, roofers, nurses, bartenders, etc. were expected to "make adjustments"?

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    So there will be another meeting today. Could be huge. Jared will be discussing the shutdown with congressional aides. Updates to follow. Check back frequently.

(Joking, of course. When you hear "aides", it pretty much means "we're just chilling today.")

I get that much of this situation, especially at this point, is as much kabuki theatre as anything else, but the sides only seem to be digging in deeper, boxing themselves in further, and that's what is frightening. Because the longer this goes on, the more it strains the complex and layered matrix of agencies who protect our society. All the agencies affected, especially the big ones, are like huge engines; if not maintained properly, they can sputter and spin and seize up. And right now, there's fuel but no motor oil.

I'm trying to filter what the news agencies are reporting (which they so often get wrong. This week, one dim bulb on MSNBC said BPAs would be getting paid during the shutdown. Wrong.) and get my head straight on what's the crux of the matter here. I say that because they'll use the word "wall" without further context or explanation. From what I've been able to glean, the main issue is the stretch from El Paso to Brownsville, which is comprised of mostly private property in Texas, and the big reason that stretch is open is the myriad of legal issues regarding rights of way, eminent domain, compensation for deprivation of property, etc. Correct me if I am wrong in understanding the 5 billion dollars would mostly go towards addressing that stretch, as barriers currently exist for most of the San Diego to El Paso stretch (see below).

https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall...ve-border-map/

At what point though, will the bigger threat not be 1,000 miles of open Texas border, but the dysfunction created by intentionally ham-stringing the functionability of the G in order to take a political stand??

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by reils49 View Post

I get the book answer. But if this goes long term, hypothetically speaking, and everyone is sick of working for nothing, do you think they have the resources to enforce it? I don’t think they do.

And I don’t mean just quitting coming to work altogether, anyone with some time should know the rules regarding how many days require a doctors note. Or you say I’m under physical and emotional duress because I haven’t been paid, which has caused me to be physically ill.
    I can have a Dr's note TOMORROW saying that I need 12 weeks of FMLA due to stress.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6641 users online. 170 members and 6471 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X